User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Will Scientists Know Alien Life When They See It?

'Shadow biosphere' might be hiding strange life right under our noses | Science/AAAS | News

We may not know what alien life forms look like, because we are so biased by our experience with life on Earth. I even believe there is life on Earth that hasn't been found yet simply because it doesn't match our expectations of what life should look like.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    'Shadow biosphere' might be hiding strange life right under our noses | Science/AAAS | News

We may not know what alien life forms look like, because we are so biased by our experience with life on Earth. I even believe there is life on Earth that hasn't been found yet simply because it doesn't match our expectations of what life should look like.
    If it is on Earth, can it be considered alien? What constitutes "alien"? I always associated that term for life that was not indigenous to Earth.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

All native life on Earth for about four billion years has the same DNA consisting of four digital letters.

We are sequencing the genome at an increasing rate of life on Earth. So if we discover DNA with more or less than four letters, we will have discovered alien life. Life utterly alien to life on Earth.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If it is on Earth, can it be considered alien? What constitutes "alien"? I always associated that term for life that was not indigenous to Earth.
    I didn't mean to imply that life on earth could be alien life. I'm saying that there could be non-alien life on earth so strange to our experience that we don't recognize it as being alive. Consider also the fact that our idea of life is that it exists within the visible light spectrum only.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

I didn't mean to imply that life on earth could be alien life. I'm saying that there could be non-alien life on earth so strange to our experience that we don't recognize it as being alive. Consider also the fact that our idea of life is that it exists within the visible light spectrum only.
    Chemistry and biochemistry is the same on any planet so it is possible, even likely, that life on other planets has DNA with four letters, just like us.

But over billions of years that DNA would adapt to the alien planet and the alien planet would adapt to the DNA, with results we can't imagine. But what is most likely is that life on another planet would consist of one celled animals and bacteria, as these are the most plentiful and long lived life on Earth.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Chemistry and biochemistry is the same on any planet
    The premise of the article is that this might not necessarily be true.

Yes DNA is made from a combination of four specific compounds/molecules but chemists have constructed nucleic acid analogues, such as PNA or TNA so maybe we don't actually know that DNA is the only natural genetic 'instruction' in the universe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Consider also the fact that our idea of life is that it exists within the visible light spectrum only.
    Whose idea? Scientists certainly don't have such a limited view.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    The premise of the article is that this might not necessarily be true.
    The periodic table has been created by exploding stars uniformly throughout the universe.

So nothing in the universe is alien.

And just as there is no alien life on Earth: every living thing for four billion years is related to every other living thing, there is no alien life in the universe. We are all related through the periodic table and exploding stars. Who would have guessed?
    Likes Evee liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

So nothing in the universe is alien.
    Counterpoint:

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes grey_beard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Life isn't just star stuff, it's pattern which may be more ubiquitous than matter. Most likely there are many terrestrial forms of life that the scientific community does not recognize:

Hawking says computer virus is form of life: Susan Watts on a man-made menace that mirrors its namesake in Nature