12311 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Disparity Between Scientists and General Public on Scientific Views

Poll Results Show Disparity Between Scientists And American Public On Scientific Issues | IFLScience

There's been many news articles posted on this over the past several days.

Most of the public appears to view science favorably, with 79% saying that science makes daily life easier. However, when it comes down to individual topics, there appears to be less confidence in the science, particularly when it comes to issues such as evolution, climate change, and vaccines, as can be seen here:

This is incredibly depressing, angering, and in some cases, dangerous. I've known for a long time that there is a very unfortunate gap between what scientists view as valid, and what they general american public views as valid. I did not know it was this bad though, in some of the issues I am utterly flabbergasted and imbarrasted. The fact of the matter is, science is unbias and speaks for itself. There is no disagreeing with fact. There will always be some naysayers and a bit of disagreement on matters that are more opinion based, but on other matters there truly is a right or wrong answer. How someone can just flagerently ignore fact in favor of fringe low impact material, personal opinion, gut feelings, or simple dislike is absolutely beyond me.

I really don't know what we can do about this. There is talk about increasing STEM education, but I am not sure that will do quite enough. There are other root problems that might make it intractable. We do need to improve this though, because when the public disagrees with science, even when the science is factually and morally sound as it can be, even when the public is dead wrong it still effects it, and everyone else.

Discuss.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Poll Results Show Disparity Between Scientists And American Public On Scientific Issues | IFLScience

There's been many news articles posted on this over the past several days.

This is incredibly depressing, angering, and in some cases, dangerous. I've known for a long time that there is a very unfortunate gap between what scientists view as valid, and what they general american public views as valid. I did not know it was this bad though, in some of the issues I am utterly flabbergasted and imbarrasted. The fact of the matter is, science is unbias and speaks for itself. There is no disagreeing with fact. There will always be some naysayers and a bit of disagreement on matters that are more opinion based, but on other matters there truly is a right or wrong answer. How someone can just flagerently ignore fact in favor of fringe low impact material, personal opinion, gut feelings, or simple dislike is absolutely beyond me.

I really don't know what we can do about this. There is talk about increasing STEM education, but I am not sure that will do quite enough. There are other root problems that might make it intractable. We do need to improve this though, because when the public disagrees with science, even when the science is factually and morally sound as it can be, even when the public is dead wrong it still effects it, and everyone else.

Discuss.
    I totally agree. This should be objective. I've also noticed that all these companies don't give a flying duck (I meant to type the f bomb but wow this autocorrect actually made sense wow) about the health of our own nation's people. All they care about is money. I am disgusted with this behavior. Everyone should eat organic food with grass fed and cage free animals. Actually, my mom let me join a protest with her against GMOs
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
    -The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Mychemicalkilljoy View Post
    I totally agree. This should be objective. I've also noticed that all these companies don't give a flying duck (I meant to type the f bomb but wow this autocorrect actually made sense wow) about the health of our own nation's people. All they care about is money. I am disgusted with this behavior. Everyone should eat organic food with grass fed and cage free animals. Actually, my mom let me join a protest with her against GMOs
    Hang on, so you agree with this, but you're against GMO's? Something is amiss here because this article shows that supporting GMO is the objective rational stance.

Also, I am just going to flat tell you: GMO foods are NOT harmful. Period. End of story. There is no credible evidence to suggest that it is. Further, the vast majority of the food we eat is genetically modified. Food has undergone intentional genetic modification since the dawn of man.

Likes Ivy, chubber, Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

Hang on, so you agree with this, but you're against GMO's? Something is amiss here because this article shows that supporting GMO is the objective rational stance.

Also, I am just going to flat tell you: GMO foods are NOT harmful. Period. End of story. There is no credible evidence to suggest that it is. Further, the vast majority of the food we eat is genetically modified. Food has undergone intentional genetic modification since the dawn of man.
    But they can cause cancer. My mom told me.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Mychemicalkilljoy View Post
    But they can cause cancer. My mom told me.
    LMAO! I should cut you some slack though since your profile says your in your early teens.

Well, your mom is extremely misinformed, or just lying. They do not cause cancer. It is a classic fearmongering ignorant view that anti-GMO individuals have. Your parents are not always going to be correct, and in particular in areas they are not versed in (which I strongly suspect she isn't). You'll learn with time to filter what is right and wrong that your parents teach you. I am quite versed in this realm (and am a scientist as well).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It all comes down to ignorance, sometimes willful, sometimes not. Scientists at least know better, or we wouldn't survive in our jobs. (More later - it's late on my end.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

LMAO! I should cut you some slack though since your profile says your in your early teens.

Well, your mom is extremely misinformed, or just lying. They do not cause cancer. It is a classic fearmongering ignorant view that anti-GMO individuals have. Your parents are not always going to be correct, and in particular in areas they are not versed in (which I strongly suspect she isn't). You'll learn with time to filter what is right and wrong that your parents teach you. I am quite versed in this realm (and am a scientist as well).
    I guess the only way to know for sure is to find out myself
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The fact of the matter is, science is unbias and speaks for itself. There is no disagreeing with fact. There will always be some naysayers and a bit of disagreement on matters that are more opinion based, but on other matters there truly is a right or wrong answer. How someone can just flagerently ignore fact in favor of fringe low impact material, personal opinion, gut feelings, or simple dislike is absolutely beyond me.
    Science is not fact. It is the current best theory based on what is understood and other best known theories. Ergo there is room for discourse and disagreement, hence why there are scientists who think differently to one another but both are being scientific and unbiased.

Speaking of bias, a scientist is a human being and as prone to bias and corruption as much as any other. They are no paragons of virtue.

As for the american public going for hearsay over proven theory, this has great track record within the country. It is often joked in the UK that we sent the criminals to Australia and the religious nuts to the states. Just reading the news from America makes me cringe and it's not out of some nationalistic pride. I truly do marvel at what passes in the states. I recall watching an episode of the american apprentice where the project leader asked others for input into the solution only to be lambasted later on as weak and should have directed more and not crept around other members of the team due to lacking direction and wanting to devolve responsibility. The sheer lack of understanding of how to work in a team from what is supposed to be decent business people was astounding. Yes I realise that example is as flawed as using the apprentice over here as reflective of the British but it does reflect to a degree.

Having had an american salesman assure me of the degree of his Christianity as if that granted him some degree of honesty reflects how the culture expects the answer to be given to them and not left with a question to postulate. Hence the media give decisions and opinions which the populace accept. Considering the media's existence is based on you continuing to watch, it only makes sense that they tell you something which will make you keep watching. You'll get many more readers/ views if you declare that e-cigarettes explode than if you report that it has a higher quitting success rate than most other forms of NRT and, according to current understanding, is a lot less harmful than smoking "analogue" cigarettes.

Critical thinking needs to be taught in school, not blind acceptance of authority. The real joke is that america is supposed to be the land of the free when all I see is more blind herd like behaviour than in say Germany which is still considered a systematic and authoritative land.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes grey_beard, Studmuffin23, JAVO liked this post

The fact of the matter is, science is unbias and speaks for itself. There is no disagreeing with fact.
    1. Your personal opinion =/= fact.

2. Science is easily biased - just add more zeroes to the face of the check. Et voilà!
    Likes Kullervo, Studmuffin23, Forever, JAVO, Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Science is not fact. It is the current best theory based on what is understood and other best known theories. Ergo there is room for discourse and disagreement, hence why there are scientists who think differently to one another but both are being scientific and unbiased.

Speaking of bias, a scientist is a human being and as prone to bias and corruption as much as any other. They are no paragons of virtue.

As for the american public going for hearsay over proven theory, this has great track record within the country. It is often joked in the UK that we sent the criminals to Australia and the religious nuts to the states. Just reading the news from America makes me cringe and it's not out of some nationalistic pride. I truly do marvel at what passes in the states. I recall watching an episode of the american apprentice where the project leader asked others for input into the solution only to be lambasted later on as weak and should have directed more and not crept around other members of the team due to lacking direction and wanting to devolve responsibility. The sheer lack of understanding of how to work in a team from what is supposed to be decent business people was astounding. Yes I realise that example is as flawed as using the apprentice over here as reflective of the British but it does reflect to a degree.

Having had an american salesman assure me of the degree of his Christianity as if that granted him some degree of honesty reflects how the culture expects the answer to be given to them and not left with a question to postulate. Hence the media give decisions and opinions which the populace accept. Considering the media's existence is based on you continuing to watch, it only makes sense that they tell you something which will make you keep watching. You'll get many more readers/ views if you declare that e-cigarettes explode than if you report that it has a higher quitting success rate than most other forms of NRT and, according to current understanding, is a lot less harmful than smoking "analogue" cigarettes.

Critical thinking needs to be taught in school, not blind acceptance of authority. The real joke is that america is supposed to be the land of the free when all I see is more blind herd like behaviour than in say Germany which is still considered a systematic and authoritative land.
    What is now called science has in many ways been corrupted and subverted: by factors ranging from who's paying for the funding, to the "publish or perish" culture, to the insularity of the review system and bias towards established researchers and consensus, to the very scope of major projects in physics, to the pressure for profitability, to the implicit bias in favor of "new findings" rather than confirmatory studies, to empire building and rivalries...
    the scientific model works, and it is the best currently available for weeding out false negatives, but like the garbage collection feature in Java, there is no guarantee express or implied about the rate at which it works; further, the institutions we have now do not embody the scientific method perfectly: but they are propagandized to the outside world as though they *do*.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes JAVO liked this post