User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 239

  1. #151
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's just the assumption that doing it wrong is to be avoided almost at all cost which sets my heckles off. I'm with Socrates, assuming I know nothing. Ergo hitting the wall could be the right result. If the robot hit the wall ten thousand times in trial but never once on a customer then I'd call that a win, the other way around I'd call a fail. It all depends on where you're trying to get to and what you're prepared to do to achieve it.
    And it sets my hackles off when someone tries to tell me the moral of the story like I'm some kind of flipping idiot who actually believes we can perfectly avoid mistakes all the time, especially in a thread that isn't actually about me.

    @Xander

    Moreover almost nobody worthwhile actually avoids errors at all costs, let alone do they advocate it. Eventually you reach a point where avoiding the error is a bigger headache than the error itself. Nobody who makes any sense actually holds this view that you seem to be accusing me of.

  2. #152
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Also do you think they did this without mistakes? No.
    Do you think it gets done if they let those mistakes hang around? Also no.
    And do you think it gets done if they use philosophy as an excuse for straight up sloppy work? Definitely not.
    Likes ygolo liked this post

  3. #153
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    And no, letting the robot hit the wall 10,000 times in a trial is not a good result if it can be avoided.

    Recently I was working on a robot in a simulator which was supposed to navigate a wall maze, follow a line, then go onto a platform. I got it to go through the maze just fine but for some infernal reason there was a problem with the line following. The sensors kept missing the line it seemed. I must have run it hundreds of times trying to make it work, I'd spent about 20 hours straight on it just failing over and over and over. This wasted a lot of my time and taxing my brain to that extent makes me very stressed and irritated. It makes my blood pressure go up and I can just feel the heat coming out of my ears! And the worst part of it is that since I spent so much time trying to get the line portion to work over and over, I never got to work on the platform bit. My goal didn't advance due to errors, it was halted due to errors!

    This is time that I can't get back! There's less things that I can innovate now simply because I wasted so much time trying to fix something which should have been trivial. It is NOT ok to let something like that happen repeatedly and just sit there and say "gee maybe it's supposed to do that."

    Edit:
    And it ends up looking a lot like
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    [...] *clonk*

    Eventually it stops being "Let's see if this works" and sounds more like "Are you fucking kidding me"

  4. #154
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Perhaps that's the issue with "scientists". They've hung their hat with any old crackpot who wants to call themselves a scientists and in doing so have undermined their own work.
    That's quite a generalization. Do you have anything to back it up?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #155
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    That's quite a generalization. Do you have anything to back it up?
    It's more the social perception of a scientist. Consider the comedy "Big Bang Theory". People associate that kind of behaviour with some generalised model of a scientist. They fail to see the engineering, the precision and the level of critical thinking involved.

    Many whom seem prone to not believe in in scientists views also seem to be those who think that scientists are unchallenged and can basically make stuff up.

    What doesn't help is when the media will report until their blue that a "scientist" has discovered that apples can kill cancer but don't seem that interested in showing its BS and the guy who the theory came from is actually a fake. Of course unless that will sell more papers...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  6. #156
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    And no, letting the robot hit the wall 10,000 times in a trial is not a good result if it can be avoided.

    Recently I was working on a robot in a simulator which was supposed to navigate a wall maze, follow a line, then go onto a platform. I got it to go through the maze just fine but for some infernal reason there was a problem with the line following. The sensors kept missing the line it seemed. I must have run it hundreds of times trying to make it work, I'd spent about 20 hours straight on it just failing over and over and over. This wasted a lot of my time and taxing my brain to that extent makes me very stressed and irritated. It makes my blood pressure go up and I can just feel the heat coming out of my ears! And the worst part of it is that since I spent so much time trying to get the line portion to work over and over, I never got to work on the platform bit. My goal didn't advance due to errors, it was halted due to errors!

    This is time that I can't get back! There's less things that I can innovate now simply because I wasted so much time trying to fix something which should have been trivial. It is NOT ok to let something like that happen repeatedly and just sit there and say "gee maybe it's supposed to do that."

    Edit:
    And it ends up looking a lot like
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    "Let's see if this works" *clonk*
    [...] *clonk*

    Eventually it stops being "Let's see if this works" and sounds more like "Are you fucking kidding me"
    Okay, I'll" bite " though my earlier comment wasn't intended to wound or irritate, just observe and report.

    I usd to be a CAD tech working with 2D CAD. Now this was fine until my colleague sneaked a solid modelling program and started to include isometric views of the finished article which really did help visualise the resulting tool. I wanted to do the same but the solid modelling program wasn't there for me. So, confident that as the result was 2D then there must be a way of creating the view.

    I spent a whole day and most of the next batting my head off the desk trying every angle of reflection I could think of and getting close but jot getting it right. In exasperation I spoke to my colleague who was much lore experienced in design and asked for help stating that I'd tried every angle I could think of. He replied simply "What makes you think it's just one angle of reflection?". Blew my mind at the time and made the job a lot harder but I eventually figured it out.

    Do I consider my time wasted when the answer could have been simply relayed? Do I consider my failed attempts as nothing but dead ends? No. I consider the whole process worthwhile and not because I achieved my goal so much as I endured.

    Okay so I hate the sappy line about "learning about myself " (yeuch) but that's pretty much what happened. It want what I was aiming for and it won't in the plan but it happened.

    If I was more awake I'm certain I could think of examples where the robot hit the wall when it shouldn't and lead to something new being found. All from a "failure".

    I just think we get too tied up in delivering right now to save costs and improve profits and to squeeze more in. It lacks... Appreciation. Something about the journey being worthwhile on its own merits.

    And I'm sorry if it comes across as preachy or contrary to your point. I believed it a valid point and so posted it. I engage in no competition here. Just scrolling past and posting thoughts.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #157
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Okay, I'll" bite " though my earlier comment wasn't intended to wound or irritate, just observe and report.

    I usd to be a CAD tech working with 2D CAD. Now this was fine until my colleague sneaked a solid modelling program and started to include isometric views of the finished article which really did help visualise the resulting tool. I wanted to do the same but the solid modelling program wasn't there for me. So, confident that as the result was 2D then there must be a way of creating the view.

    I spent a whole day and most of the next batting my head off the desk trying every angle of reflection I could think of and getting close but jot getting it right. In exasperation I spoke to my colleague who was much lore experienced in design and asked for help stating that I'd tried every angle I could think of. He replied simply "What makes you think it's just one angle of reflection?". Blew my mind at the time and made the job a lot harder but I eventually figured it out.

    Do I consider my time wasted when the answer could have been simply relayed? Do I consider my failed attempts as nothing but dead ends? No. I consider the whole process worthwhile and not because I achieved my goal so much as I endured.

    Okay so I hate the sappy line about "learning about myself " (yeuch) but that's pretty much what happened. It want what I was aiming for and it won't in the plan but it happened.

    If I was more awake I'm certain I could think of examples where the robot hit the wall when it shouldn't and lead to something new being found. All from a "failure".

    I just think we get too tied up in delivering right now to save costs and improve profits and to squeeze more in. It lacks... Appreciation. Something about the journey being worthwhile on its own merits.

    And I'm sorry if it comes across as preachy or contrary to your point. I believed it a valid point and so posted it. I engage in no competition here. Just scrolling past and posting thoughts.
    Yeah the issue is that it wasn't actually my problem with the robot. I made several line followers with that simulator already and I exported the design and tested it in places where it was known to work before, and it did work. It wasn't my mistake and it was a pretty routine thing which should work, but wasn't. It was the simulator having a problem and I was trying to work around it anyway. I eventually had to report it as a bug.

  8. #158
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's more the social perception of a scientist. Consider the comedy "Big Bang Theory". People associate that kind of behaviour with some generalised model of a scientist. They fail to see the engineering, the precision and the level of critical thinking involved.

    Many whom seem prone to not believe in in scientists views also seem to be those who think that scientists are unchallenged and can basically make stuff up.

    What doesn't help is when the media will report until their blue that a "scientist" has discovered that apples can kill cancer but don't seem that interested in showing its BS and the guy who the theory came from is actually a fake. Of course unless that will sell more papers...
    More often, the media will report a legitimate finding in an oversimplified way such that, to use your example, people think they just have to eat an apple every so often and they won't get cancer. Even if the experiments show a definite connection, it is never as simple as that, especially where entire lifestyles are involved.

    Scientists do need to be challenged; in fact, our entire mode of operation is predicated on that happening. We just do best with intelligent challenges rather than the ignorant, misguided, often alarmist charges levelled by the media and the public all too often. Shows like Big Bang do a huge disservice in terms of public image. I have no patience with that show on so many levels (including technical inaccuracies, but that's another topic). I am a scientist and so are most of the people I interact with on any regular basis, and we simply are not like that.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #159
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    More often, the media will report a legitimate finding in an oversimplified way such that, to use your example, people think they just have to eat an apple every so often and they won't get cancer. Even if the experiments show a definite connection, it is never as simple as that, especially where entire lifestyles are involved.

    Scientists do need to be challenged; in fact, our entire mode of operation is predicated on that happening. We just do best with intelligent challenges rather than the ignorant, misguided, often alarmist charges levelled by the media and the public all too often. Shows like Big Bang do a huge disservice in terms of public image. I have no patience with that show on so many levels (including technical inaccuracies, but that's another topic). I am a scientist and so are most of the people I interact with on any regular basis, and we simply are not like that.
    I can give you a wonderful example of why science needs to get it's collective arse in gear. Vaping.

    It's been around for years now and multiple different sources have done trials, tests and experiments. The consensus? There is none. I might tell you that vaping should be safer but I'm going off other's research not my own. There are still reports of these things having formaldehyde in the vapor only for another guy to say "oh no, it's formaldehyde hemiacetals" which are harmless.

    Now put this in front of the general public. You're using terms which sound like they came from the bible's era, explaining them in terms which would mean something to a chemist to keep the article short and then declaring a conclusion. Why would I believe you? I'd have to do a ton of research to find out for sure and even then it'd be book based and so not 100%. This mean that the whole thing is unverifiable to me.

    So...not a problem? Make up your own mind? That's fine...then include the oh so scientific high vis brigade who want to ban it all. Suddenly you've provided them with a stick. The media holds this stick also, hence the misreporting of trials done in Boston in the last couple of months.

    Basically with all these respected minds I would have thought that if this is a big issue and has millions of consumers then some kind of agreement would have been reached. I spoke to my chemist friend and in about ten minutes he'd deduced that there shouldn't be any real issues depending upon what's added to the liquid to flavour it. So surely the best idea would be to produce a safe recipe and give it to the community? Still nothing.

    All that's going on at the moment (and this includes the WHO) is scare mongering and scandal. Hardly a good light for "science" to be shown in and yet that's the word which keeps being bandied about. Basically the vaping community seems to be ignoring all of them. The thing is, what if one of them is right? If so....which bloody one?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #160
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I can give you a wonderful example of why science needs to get it's collective arse in gear. Vaping.

    It's been around for years now and multiple different sources have done trials, tests and experiments. The consensus? There is none. I might tell you that vaping should be safer but I'm going off other's research not my own. There are still reports of these things having formaldehyde in the vapor only for another guy to say "oh no, it's formaldehyde hemiacetals" which are harmless.

    Now put this in front of the general public. You're using terms which sound like they came from the bible's era, explaining them in terms which would mean something to a chemist to keep the article short and then declaring a conclusion. Why would I believe you? I'd have to do a ton of research to find out for sure and even then it'd be book based and so not 100%. This mean that the whole thing is unverifiable to me.

    So...not a problem? Make up your own mind? That's fine...then include the oh so scientific high vis brigade who want to ban it all. Suddenly you've provided them with a stick. The media holds this stick also, hence the misreporting of trials done in Boston in the last couple of months.

    Basically with all these respected minds I would have thought that if this is a big issue and has millions of consumers then some kind of agreement would have been reached. I spoke to my chemist friend and in about ten minutes he'd deduced that there shouldn't be any real issues depending upon what's added to the liquid to flavour it. So surely the best idea would be to produce a safe recipe and give it to the community? Still nothing.

    All that's going on at the moment (and this includes the WHO) is scare mongering and scandal. Hardly a good light for "science" to be shown in and yet that's the word which keeps being bandied about. Basically the vaping community seems to be ignoring all of them. The thing is, what if one of them is right? If so....which bloody one?
    All of that is moot since vaping fluids aren't well regulated. What might be true about one bottle of stuff could be completely false in another bottle for all we know.

    It makes no sense and is in fact useless to talk about vaping like it's one consolidated thing, because it isn't. It's like saying toys aren't safe because Transformers knockoffs had lead paint in them back when.

    Edit:
    Also people being on board with something means zip. Like Bill fucking Gaede and his fanclub. He even sells books! I've talked to the man personally and it is my opinion that he is batshit insane, and dangerous to the public with his nonsense.

Similar Threads

  1. Final decision on my type between INTP and INFP.
    By Cat Brainz in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 07:10 PM
  2. Russian Orthodoxy on the rise with decreasing seperation between church and state
    By UniqueMixture in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 01:58 AM
  4. on this day midway between solstice and christmas
    By bcvcdc in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO