User Tag List

123 Last

Default Bill Gates & Stephen Hawking believe that artificial intelligence will doom humanity

Bill Gates on dangers of artificial intelligence: ‘I don’t understand why some people are not concerned’ - The Washington Post

Bill Gates is a passionate technology advocate (big surprise), but his predictions about the future of computing aren't uniformly positive.
    Gates was asked how much of an existential threat superintelligent machines pose to humans.

The question has been at the forefront of several recent discussions among prominent futurists. Last month, theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking said artificial intelligence "could spell the end of the human race."
    After gushing about the immediate future of technology in his Reddit AMA, Gates aligned himself with the AI alarm-sounders.

"I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned."
    Speaking at the MIT Aeronautics and Astronautics department’s Centennial Symposium in October, Tesla boss Elon Musk referred to artificial intelligence as "summoning the demon."

I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I were to guess like what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful with the artificial intelligence. Increasingly scientists think there should be some regulatory oversight maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish. With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like yeah he’s sure he can control the demon. Didn't work out.

British inventor Clive Sinclair has said he thinks artificial intelligence will doom mankind.

"Once you start to make machines that are rivaling and surpassing humans with intelligence, it's going to be very difficult for us to survive," he told the BBC. "It's just an inevitability."

The horse has bolted, too late to be concerned now. Enough energy and thought has been invested it's now beyond the ability of anyone to prevent. In typical human fashion we ran along with the question of whether we could, without stopping to think if we even should. I hope our ego's are worth it.

The most egotistical sentiment in those extracts is the assumption that we are skilled enough to control it. How many software programs hit the market bug-free? It only takes the wrong kind of bug before we are all children with matches playing near the kerosene. No program is unbreakable, unhackable. Intelligence devoid of conscience is the essence of psychopathy. I just hope it happens beyond the span of my lifetime. I'm selfish enough to want to enjoy the end of my life.
    Likes Crabs, asynartetic liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    The most egotistical sentiment in those extracts is the assumption that we are skilled enough to control it. How many software programs hit the market bug-free? It only takes the wrong kind of bug before we are all children with matches playing near the kerosene. No program is unbreakable, unhackable. Intelligence devoid of conscience is the essence of psychopathy. I just hope it happens beyond the span of my lifetime. I'm selfish enough to want to enjoy the end of my life.
    between ufo's flying over nuclear weapons bases, super-intelligent robots rising up against humanity and islamic jihad, I think it's safe to say the world is fucked.

The horse has bolted, too late to be concerned now. Enough energy and thought has been invested it's now beyond the ability of anyone to prevent. In typical human fashion we ran along with the question of whether we could, without stopping to think if we even should. I hope our ego's are worth it.

I loved that scene btw.....If I was into science that's the guy I'd be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    between ufo's flying over nuclear weapons bases, super-intelligent robots rising up against humanity and islamic jihad, I think it's safe to say the world is fucked.
    True. But I'd rather be fucked over by machines than jihadists.

I loved that scene btw.....If I was into science that's the guy I'd be.

- - - Updated - - -

True. But I'd rather be fucked over by machines than jihadists.
    agreed. i kinda like the idea of going to war with robots. although, i'm sure the reality is much less appealing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    agreed. i kinda like the idea of going to war with robots. although, i'm sure the reality of it is much less appealing.
    I think I'd rather fight crazy humans than heartless machines. Even if you lose against the humans and everything you believe is destroyed, at least you know what is gone was built by humans and as long as humans still exist they might change their minds and rebuild it.

You know, in some ways I'm less concerned about super intelligent machines then I am machines that aren't as smart as we think. AI can fuck up quite spectacullarly when left to it's own devices. I seem to recall their were a couple of stock market trading computers that lost millions in the space of a few minutes when they clashed head to head and got stuck in a loop selling at ever lower prices. I hope nothing like that ever happens with a computers fired up to nuclear defence systems.

I always like the way the computer in the Will Smith movie AI wasn't malicious or hostile to the human race, but still wound up trying to conquour the world.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

From time to time various doomsday scenario's play out in my dreams. The machine war tends to involve me driving some kind of hover craft with a large, pulse weapon strapped to my shoulder. It's kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    AI can fuck up quite spectacullarly when left to it's own devices. I seem to recall their were a couple of stock market trading computers that lost millions in the space of a few minutes when they clashed head to head and got stuck in a loop selling at ever lower prices.
    Artificial humanity?

we ran along with the question of whether we could, without stopping to think if we even should. I hope our ego's are worth it.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian
    Likes Chthonic liked this post

i welcome our new robot overlords
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian