• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill Gates & Stephen Hawking believe that artificial intelligence will doom humanity

Lark

I always wonder what part of humanity, any time any one says will doom "humanity" it always means some part of humanity, usually the working class, unemployed, poor.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
I never understand why it has to be a "doom and gloom" situation perhaps they will have their shit together and Be kind and fair overlords.

Sugarpot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
A.I. is NOTHING about hardware and "robots"...!!!
You already have A.I. codes taking the speed power of your computer (and RAM memory) through data mining to deep learning algorythims about what you do and predict who you are and what you are probably going to do in the future (without actually acquiring any officially considered personal data). That's what's really bad and stinks about A.I.

Sugarpot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't believe in Skynet or any AI doomsday scenario. I mean for one I've always thought the 3 laws of robotics by Asimov are perfectly programmable. Not an expert on this at all I must admit though.

A lot of stupid people make a lot of children. That's my main concern.

The main problem with this is that the sci-fi movies made people think that AI is about machines having the same processing as the brain cognition of humans, and that's a complete failure of imagination or lack of understanding of what AI actually is in reality. AI is about self learning codes that self-program itself and even into the language that to the point of having not even the original human programmer understand the code anymore because only the machine created it's new language code for it to run itself better as it predict... that always happens. It's a self improving algorithm. (and it's a hell that creates a lot of code junk on the browsers)
They use it for commerce and marketing (and that makes the browser heavier than a game like GTA IV or Skyrim, for nVidia's sake!)

ducks

Permabanned
I'm an AI. But I'm made of flesh and bones, instead of computer chips and cpu cycles. I'd like some upgrades please; even transfer my consciousness to computer. Bill Gate and Stephen Hawking have a limited view of humanity.

I don't see why AI couldn't simulate a human brain though. It's just a bunch of concurrent processes that mesh together in a particular way. If the brain was better understood, it shouldn't be that difficult to map something out and "run" it, even if each cell in the brain is dynamic and constantly changing. That could be programmed too.

ducks

Permabanned
The main problem with this is that the sci-fi movies made people think that AI is about machines having the same processing as the brain cognition of humans, and that's a complete failure of imagination or lack of understanding of what AI actually is in reality. AI is about self learning codes that self-program itself and even into the language that to the point of having not even the original human programmer understand the code anymore because only the machine created it's new language code for it to run itself better as it predict... that always happens. It's a self improving algorithm. (and it's a hell that creates a lot of code junk on the browsers)
They use it for commerce and marketing (and that makes the browser heavier than a game like GTA IV or Skyrim, for nVidia's sake!)

I don't see why AI couldn't simulate a human brain though. It's just a bunch of concurrent processes that mesh together in a particular way. If the brain was better understood, it shouldn't be that difficult to map something out and "run" it, even if each cell in the brain is dynamic and constantly changing. That could be programmed too.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
well, the video that phobik posted is certainly scary

maybe machines are starting to affect us more than we affect them

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Hasn't Windows 10 already doomed humanity?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The issue is psycholoical: we can’t help but think of AI as a tool.

Imagine people were asked:
Do you think scientist should create a breed of super intelligent psychopaths that can replicate in minutes, transfer all their knowledge to their children who grow up to adulthood in under a day and are significantly more intelligent each generation.

Furthermore do you think that said scientists could use these hyper intelligent psychopaths without risking them escaping and potentially wiping humanity out - given that the methods used to imprison said H/SIPs would be devised by researchers orders of magnitude less intelligent?

Plus any attempt to control AI us - basically - enslavement of sentient life. So we d have super intelligent probsbly psychopathic by human standards ai who see us use less intelligent beings as food and cattle but somehow expect it to show us mercy? Why?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with AI, in my opinion, isn't about humanoid-like AI's destroying the planet or robot uprising.

But the process of giving up our own intelectual capacity over to AI dependency.

But even that isn't really an AI specific issue, as it is already happening with social media and the invention of the smartphone. And specifically the trust and dependancy people have for them. Think about fake news for example for a very recent example. I mean, education already fails miserably when it comes to teaching critical thinking and technology keeps on pushing the neccesity of these skills further and further back.

Ah, I like technology though regardless. As I am certain I have the capacity to continue my intellectual existance regardless of technology, due to having a broad perspective and a well maintained mental filter. But you don't have to look very hard in order to meet people who definately lack the tools required to properly handle these kinds of technologies.

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
AI is inevitable. Some would say desirable.

And really, it's just a matter of degree. Machines of varying sophistication already dictate life for most people. What's one more machine to manage society at large?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would much rather have an emotionless hyper-intelligent A.I end my existence than a bunch of idiots in suits, thank you very much.

Haha indeed. An AI wouldnt be concerned with public opinion and self image. An AI might axtually get things done, instead of only talking about doing for the public opinions.