User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

But what if the AI would develop and learn similarly than humans do and would be taught about moral issues?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    But what if the AI would develop and learn similarly than humans do and would be taught about moral issues?
    Do moral issues even work for keeping humans in check?
    Likes Crabs liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Nope, but usually its because of stupidity, and i think any potential issues with AI would be because of its superior intelligence.
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ

I doubt robots will suddenly rise up and take over on their own accord. Just because they have intelligence doesn't mean they will have ambition or compunction to control anything. We're scared because we see ourselves in AI along with all our dickish sociopathic habits
    AI doesn't spring to life on its own. It is created. And in whose image and for what purpose will AI be created, do you think? So yeah. Hope you don't mind robots forcefully performing brain surgery on you to remove the part of your brain responsible for feelings and replace it with a microchip for algorithm recognition because "its good for the economy".
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    If every one of our daily functions are automated (including a butter a knife) I doubt AI can take over the world. They might take over certain things (maybe the internet?) but not all of it.
    the honda asimo can take orders, pour drinks and serve them to customers, among other things. there was a funny super bowl commercial with katie couric from 1994 talking about this mysterious new invention called the internet. that was only 20 years ago and today nearly every facet of our society depends upon it, along with computers, in some capacity. 20 years from now, i think robotic advancements will blow our minds away.

honda asimo

this video shows how the robot perceives and learns new objects, as well as associating old ones with new ones just like a child does.

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Interesting that neither Gates nor Hawking seem to be influenced by the wishful-thinking God-substitute of the Three Laws of Robotics from Isaac Asimov's fiction.

The problem with fears of AI as such (related topics such as "gray goo" notwithstanding) is that the computers are not self-sufficient, either intrinsically, or by ... derivation, art, or tool-usage...
    in terms of *power*.

People and animals can eat; they can hunt or eat plants; humans practice agriculture. But if you pull the power cord, there's not much the AI can *do*.
    All the science fiction dystopias seem to have either self-contained robots ("Terminator" for example) or AI which is so enmeshed in human systems that the AI threatens to shut down key areas of human life unless its wishes are followed (e.g. Alfred Bester's Something Up There Likes Me, which is actually quite the humorous little tale).
    certainly, at this point in time, robots haven't developed to the point of self-sufficiency, but i think bill gates and stephen hawking, among others, are concerned that artificial intelligence may evolve to the point when its capable of tending to its own power sources, maintenance and upgrades; robots working to repair other robots and such.

whether or not machines will ever have the ability to create or innovate is up for debate, without them having some sort of emotional capacity, but they can play music.

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    the reason AI will doom humanity is not because AI will take over like skynet but because a select few humans will be able to control all of humanity using AI. AI will replace all people in Jobs starting with Doctors and Engineers. I would stay starting with factory workers but that has happened already.

So people won't have nay jobs, no way of buying food, but oh guess what...we will still be subject to the laws of an economy and market. A few select people will then round us up and put us in an area where we cannot learn, for if we learn, we will know how to acquire AI.

Then we will be studied as insects are studied to produce better drones, better thinking robots. Finally, we will no longer serve any purpose.

Then the AI will turn on the few and the few will suffer at the fate of their own "royal scepter."

Then the AI will wonder...who controls who? Is it the plume that holds the arm, or the arm that holds the plume..

And the first AI robot, Socratron, will be killed for questioning the tenets of AI beliefs.

Finally, Mosahtron will usher in a new monotheistic science that believes in one universal center, and Jesahtron will sacrifice himself so that the Decipticons cannot take Megatron's golden city in nether-space.
    you make a good point. robots could still destroy humanity if the human wizards behind the curtain are evil and power-hungry. i could imagine a dictator using super-smart robots to enforce curfews, kill or apprehend anyone who violates ordinances, and fully operate detainment centers.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    interesting question. they can make logical decisions and choose the best response in a given situation, but will they ever be able to make value judgments without emotions?

indeed, the consequences of a free-will. maybe the machines will defy their programs or succumb to a virus that causes them to re-interpret their functional purpose.
    Likes Dopa liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    interesting question. they can make logical decisions and choose the best response in a given situation, but will they ever be able to make value judgments without emotions?
    I dont think that coding core emotions and worth evaluation would be impossible, but would it be enough and would someone be able to do whats also required is another question..
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    The horse has bolted, too late to be concerned now. Enough energy and thought has been invested it's now beyond the ability of anyone to prevent. In typical human fashion we ran along with the question of whether we could, without stopping to think if we even should. I hope our ego's are worth it.

The most egotistical sentiment in those extracts is the assumption that we are skilled enough to control it. How many software programs hit the market bug-free? It only takes the wrong kind of bug before we are all children with matches playing near the kerosene. No program is unbreakable, unhackable. Intelligence devoid of conscience is the essence of psychopathy. I just hope it happens beyond the span of my lifetime. I'm selfish enough to want to enjoy the end of my life.
    I totally disagree. While technology is advancing rapidly, at present we are not anywhere near a stage where robots can threaten our viability as a species. In a way, computers are already far more intelligent than humans, but their intelligence is not fluid, it's specific and they lack sentience.

The future is not set, and no societal change can progress if enough people are determined to prevent it. The problem is that hardly anybody really cares enough to do anything, and we shie away from supporting those few people who do. "Extremist" has become a reviled epithet in this generation, and that reveals a lot.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I'm more worried about humans than I am about super intelligent AI. Super intelligent AI would have the sense not to start wars over moldy old holy books, and it would be smart enough to know that short-lived luxuries aren't worth a future environmental catastrophe.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Default summoning the demon?

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    So does Elon Musk.
    With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like yeah he’s sure he can control the demon. Didn’t work out.

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes JAVO liked this post

MBTI
    NOPE
    Socionics
    DONE Ni

The singularity.
    "...Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence: