User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I doubt robots will suddenly rise up and take over on their own accord. Just because they have intelligence doesn't mean they will have ambition or compunction to control anything. We're scared because we see ourselves in AI along with all our dickish sociopathic habits, but AI isn't quite that much like us. It'd have little reason to take over and destroy us.

Rather what I think will happen is that we will slowly throw our lives away to the machines and humans will become stupider and stupider. i.e. the real danger is ourselves.

MBTI
    INFJ

Also I think we might actually merge with machines at some point so there won't be this distinction between super intelligent machine and human because the human and the machine might just end up being one entity.

Additionally:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I hope nothing like that ever happens with a computers fired up to nuclear defence systems.
    it's inevitable, i'm afraid. and when the air is toxic and radiation forces the remaining population underground, who's going to rule the earth?

the robopacalypse has begun.

If every one of our daily functions are automated (including a butter a knife) I doubt AI can take over the world. They might take over certain things (maybe the internet?) but not all of it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Interesting that neither Gates nor Hawking seem to be influenced by the wishful-thinking God-substitute of the Three Laws of Robotics from Isaac Asimov's fiction.

The problem with fears of AI as such (related topics such as "gray goo" notwithstanding) is that the computers are not self-sufficient, either intrinsically, or by ... derivation, art, or tool-usage...
    in terms of *power*.

People and animals can eat; they can hunt or eat plants; humans practice agriculture. But if you pull the power cord, there's not much the AI can *do*.
    All the science fiction dystopias seem to have either self-contained robots ("Terminator" for example) or AI which is so enmeshed in human systems that the AI threatens to shut down key areas of human life unless its wishes are followed (e.g. Alfred Bester's Something Up There Likes Me, which is actually quite the humorous little tale).
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

the reason AI will doom humanity is not because AI will take over like skynet but because a select few humans will be able to control all of humanity using AI. AI will replace all people in Jobs starting with Doctors and Engineers. I would stay starting with factory workers but that has happened already.

So people won't have nay jobs, no way of buying food, but oh guess what...we will still be subject to the laws of an economy and market. A few select people will then round us up and put us in an area where we cannot learn, for if we learn, we will know how to acquire AI.

Then we will be studied as insects are studied to produce better drones, better thinking robots. Finally, we will no longer serve any purpose.

Then the AI will turn on the few and the few will suffer at the fate of their own "royal scepter."

Then the AI will wonder...who controls who? Is it the plume that holds the arm, or the arm that holds the plume..

And the first AI robot, Socratron, will be killed for questioning the tenets of AI beliefs.

Finally, Mosahtron will usher in a new monotheistic science that believes in one universal center, and Jesahtron will sacrifice himself so that the Decipticons cannot take Megatron's golden city in nether-space.
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    the reason AI will doom humanity is not because AI will take over like skynet but because a select few humans will be able to control all of humanity using AI. AI will replace all people in Jobs starting with Doctors and Engineers. I would stay starting with factory workers but that has happened already.
    We don't need super smart AI for that. We just need AI that is at least as smart as humans. They'd already be ahead of the game because machines can work more, work faster and more accurately. Surgeon bot could do surgery in a fraction of the time for example, and could do more of them in a day without fatigue.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    We don't need super smart AI for that. We just need AI that is at least as smart as humans. They'd already be ahead of the game because machines can work more, work faster and more accurately. Surgeon bot could do surgery in a fraction of the time for example, and could do more of them in a day without fatigue.
    That's actually the direction we are heading in. I honestly think it's best. Plastic surgery for the most part is cosmetic and these machines will help reduce the costs of such surgery to a mere 100 dollars. The doctors who do plastic surgery aren't really novel and aren't going to discover a cure for any big desease. Hopefully it happens soon. I don't think someone deserves 1,000,000 for helping Kim Kardashian have a big butt.

Who knows. Maybe AI will fix humanity. Maybe it will render plutocrats obsolete
    it was open
    -the end"