User Tag List

View Poll Results: I know we are in the middle of the earths sixth mass extinction

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 100.00%
  • no

0 0%
123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default How Many of You Actually Know We Are In the Middle of a Mass Extinction?

I'm curious, in a forum that at least claims to be N heavy and a generation that claims to be informed, how many members of this forum actually know we are in the beginning of the earths sixth mass extinction? Because as far as I can tell, humanity N or S, seems to be DISTRACTED rather than actually informed. Maybe I'm wrong and typology central will restore my faith in Americans (for some reason I expect foreigners to reign here).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yes, I'm aware. I have an interested in the growth of civilization and the impact we've had on our surroundings. But that shouldn't make you feel better, I have taken no action, and I have no solution.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Yes, I'm aware. I have an interested in the growth of civilization and the impact we've had on our surroundings. But that shouldn't make you feel better, I have taken no action, and I have no solution.
    At least you know. It's called the Holocene extinction. It fascinates me because as much as two years ago I was alarmed at how the human population has seemingly DOUBLED in my relatively short lifetime (I'm in my 30s not my 80s), and the wide range effects this has on the ecosystem, because we need invertibrates to sustain vertibrates, and plant diversity is also dwindling.

On a personal level, I don't know if your answer is passive aggressive bullshit or just honesty or guilty self hatred, but honestly I don't think we are too far from a genocide of the unaware. I think the next Hitler won't kill Jews, but people unaware of the consequences of their actions on humanity, because in a collective sense, it seems every bit as moral as murdering invading Jews in nationalist Germany.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have heard of the Holocene extinction, and I am aware of the role humans have played in the extinction of an enormous number of the planet's species. I also know that the majority of humans don't care at all. People in general have an almost complete lack of accountability when it comes to the environment.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Idk, does it even matter to me, right now?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Your tone for this thread comes across as really belittling and snooty, and is really off putting. Yes I am aware. Most people aren't aware because the process is rather slow and rolling. It's not like a natural disaster such as a hurricane where the effects are easy to see and present. Sadly, there isn't a darn thing we can do to stop this. The world is much too entrenched with how it currently works and there is not a single chance society is going to begin to organize and uproot for it. Things will have to get unfathomably bad before it does. Luckily for us, I don't think the most serious of effects will hit us in our lifetime.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    On a personal level, I don't know if your answer is passive aggressive bullshit or just honesty or guilty self hatred, but honestly I don't think we are too far from a genocide of the unaware. I think the next Hitler won't kill Jews, but people unaware of the consequences of their actions on humanity, because in a collective sense, it seems every bit as moral as murdering invading Jews in nationalist Germany.
    I'm having a little trouble with the wording here. Are you meaning that you think a genocide is more or less inevitable and will occur at the hands of someone or an organization to kill individuals who are "uninformed" (as you put it)? Or are you suggesting that such a thing is necessary and morally justified because of the nature of the world and how you currently see it?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

This is special knowledge?

MBTI
    yupp

goood
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I know that humanity has a history of directly and indirectly annihilating various species, and there's no reason to think that we'll stop anytime soon.

I didn't know that there's a name for it.

(Citizen of the U.S.A. speaking.)
    Likes Thalassa liked this post