User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    Straight forward question: Do you think science will solve moral issues like starvation, war, genocide, pollution, etc.

Speaking statistically thus far it has not, in fact it has amplified in the opposite direction, but do you think that eventually we will reach a threshold where the trend will reverse such as the minimum point on an S curve?
    Amplified, Are you fucking kidding me? Pollution has increased yes but the rest have decreased significanly. Due to science and technology people can't even fight dirty wars and genocides as eaily as they used to. Yes the power of the bomb has increased but the legitimacy of the use of it and the ability cause harm unfairly onto others and get away with it has reduced remarkably due to science.

Even polluiltion will be dealt with if science develop further.

Also, pollution began with mass scale agriculture - could we call it agricultural revolution? - and it existed way before science. Science is not only dealing with most issuss the world is facing it is also acting as a watchdog.

No not all human issues will be dealt by science. That should be something internal.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Thalassa liked this post

Is there anything science can't do that god can?

With the exception of bringing dead people to life that is. Lolz.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx

Straight forward question: Do you think science will solve moral issues like starvation, war, genocide, pollution, etc.

Speaking statistically thus far it has not, in fact it has amplified in the opposite direction, but do you think that eventually we will reach a threshold where the trend will reverse such as the minimum point on an S curve?
    Straightforward answer: Yes, I do think it will. Everything is within the range of science, there is no area outside of it. Why should it not solve all of our problems?

Not so straightforward stuff, lol : Who says these are all moral issues? I do not agree with that. Counter question: If you posit an ideal universal morality, do you think these problems will cease to exist?

Another counter question: Do you think science is capable of destroying human life as we know it if we eventually reach a threshold where the trend will tip towards that pralaya? (I answer "yes" to that also)
    Last edited by devaf; 12-26-2014 at 05:46 AM. Reason: spelling and added content
    “By our stumbling, the world is perfected.”
    ― Sri Aurobindo

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Good quotation in response to some of the above since I don't have time to comment all. Don't ask me how it relates. Trust me that it does. Read it and consider it. I can't promise anymore replies to this thread from me though. I've received enough answers to satisfy my inquery. Thank you very much if you does and do!

"
    People who are passive toward their projected material contribute to the danger of nuclear war, because every bit of energy that we don’t actively engage with language or art is floating somewhere in the air above the United States, and Reagan can use it. He has a big energy sweeper that pulls it in. No one should make you feel guilty for not keeping a journal, or creating art, but such activity helps the whole world"
    Robert Bly

A bit outdated but the sollution to moral issues is clear and in fact the scientific method seems to now be confirming it and science is a part of it.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx

Good quotation in response to some of the above since I don't have time to comment all. Don't ask me how it relates. Trust me that it does. Read it and consider it. Thank you very much if you does and do!
    No one has enough time to write anything comprehensive on all the major issues of human life. I can see the moral factors that can go towards escalating or defusing these issues. I just do not think that is sufficient to classify these as moral issue. Whatever be the nomenclature, it does not affect the question and the answers.
    I can't promise anymore replies to this thread from me though. I've received enough answers to satisfy my inquiry.
    Sure, NP. Is this part of a homework assignment or something, by any chance, lol? (j/k)
    “By our stumbling, the world is perfected.”
    ― Sri Aurobindo

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Most of the problems in the world are by-products of modern science.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |
    Likes Thalassa, GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Is this even a question???

Science is dead..

OF COURSE NOT!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What people don't realize is that religion and science aren't at odds at their very core. Science finds truth, religion is just a form of ideology that directs people. Without religion, there will be another ideology to fill the vacuum. The most prevalent on this forum is progressive Western ideology.

Science informs, helps provide to create tools (technology). Tools also inform our solutions to our problems, they make solutions more effective. But how they are best resolved cannot be decided by Science, that's a subjective matter, not an objective matter. In a world without a God, there can be no objective moral good. The morals themselves are usually formed by the need of a people with a shared ideology, a tribal unit.

So, no, I don't think inherently science will solve moral problems. But it will make people more effective at coming to imposing their own moral resolutions. I also think that with the increasing population and with the gap that communication technology closes, humans will become more like one tribe with somewhat common goals as time goes on. Making our problems shared problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Hysteria View Post
    Most of the problems in the world are by-products of modern science.
    The purpose of the scientific method is to avoid illusion, such as the illusion that the Sun goes round the Earth.

The purpose of the scientific method is not to determine truth but to falsify illusion.

So a scientific hypothesis can be falsified but not verified.

On the other hand religion deals in certain truths.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

No.