FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Choosing Baby's Sex

Not sure where to put this, but....

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/coup...416191847.html

Ever heard of “gender disappointment”? Jayne and Jon Cornwill certainly have. It’s what drove the Australian couple to mortgage their house, fly to California, and cough up nearly $50,000 to take advantage of technology called pre-implantation genetic screening (PGS) for a single purpose: to choose the sex of their baby at the outset of pregnancy, a practice that’s illegal in their home country.

“My husband wanted a little girl that he could one day walk down the aisle. I wanted that relationship — the bond between a mother and daughter,” Jayne explained recently on Australia’s “Today” show. After giving birth to three sons, she says she suffered from “gender disappointment,” noting, “It’s like mourning the death of a child you never had” and “like any other form of depression.” In a first-person piece published in the Sydney Morning Herald, she elaborated on why she traveled to Newport Beach to see Dr. Daniel Potter, who has serviced more than 1,000 other Australian clients. She wrote, “My desire for a daughter caused me to spiral into depression and left me virtually housebound. Every time I went out, toddlers in pink seemed to taunt me...”
    Honestly, I'm waiting for her to end up being tomboyish (she has three older brothers) and/or a transguy, thus blowing up her mother's expectations for a fantasy daughter to fulfill her needs. THEN what do you do?

Apparently the regular screening is for many many potential genetic issues, but of course gender is easy to pinpoint as well.

One IVF cycle, he says, costs $12,000; add in the sex-selection technology and it’s about $18,000 — although Steinberg stresses that his clients very rarely want the technology used solely for male-female identification. Instead, they “want it all,” meaning a thorough check that all chromosomes are normal, to make sure that none of the 400 testable disorders are present in the embryos before they are implanted into the potential mom’s womb. Those that aren’t the “right” sex, he says, can either be frozen for the couple’s own possible future use, donated to another couple, or donated to science for stem-cell research — an option chosen by “90 percent” of his clients.
    Of course there are lots of ethical questions in regards to this, and some medical organizations oppose this kind of gender screening, for everything from putting stress on the mother's body and the embryo (it's not without risk) as well as reinforcing/exacerbating cultural undercurrents that commoditize children in an unregulated industry.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The mind reels. I have a very hard time relating to this. So much fuss over nothing. If they ever have a girl, I feel sorry for her. She'll be under a lot of pressure.

I don't know what to do about the practice itself. I'm curious about how the illegality of the practice is enforced. In this case at least, it seems to have worked enough to drive some Australians to California. If enforcement is viable, I'd probably be in favor of banning it.

That being said, the problem is of course cultural in origin. It's sad that anyone cares so much to bother with this. As long as people do, there will be countless different kinds of related problems.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

if you can't be happy because you wanted a girl and you had a boy you probably shouldn't have kids. I get maybe being a little disappointed like you want pie but your only option is cake, most people wouldn't go into a life long depression over it as both are delicious, and would learn to appreciate the cake. 2-3 of my mom's friends had all boys and they loved having me over because they always wanted a daughter, they loved their sons but they always wanted to have someone who wasn't rowdy and doing "boy" stuff, but coincidently they all had 3 boys sure they could've had a 4th but they decided not to. they made do. then my friend she has 2 girls (4 and 7) and is pregnant with her 3rd and before she knew if it was a boy or a girl she was like i hope it's a boy but i'd be fine with a girl cuz apparently they had been trying for the past couple of years and had numerous miscarriages that at that point they wanted a baby and boy vs girl wasn't an end all be all. that being said i want neither now if i could give birth to a kitten or a pittbull puppy, maybe, but even then i don't think i'd worry to much over if it was male or female.

p.s. I'm not saying children are dessert, though some people do eat the placenta, I don't judge
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm going with @prplchknz on this one... if getting a boy when you wanted a girl is that devastating of a thing to you you're not mature enough to have kids

children are people, not dolls and CERTAINLY not another chance for you to live out the life you'd always wished for in some sort of creepy by proxy sort of way... don't build a fantasy and then get the kid who fits in it perfectly... nature's a crapshoot
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm going with @prplchknz on this one... if getting a boy when you wanted a girl is that devastating of a thing to you you're not mature enough to have kids
    I'm on this bench. I have two sons of my own and I never had any urge to try for a girl or felt bad one of them wasn't a girl.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ...if getting a boy when you wanted a girl is that devastating of a thing to you you're not mature enough to have kids
    Alas for the children -- she's already had three (?).

But yeah, in general, kids are whatever you get... although I think in practical experience people would draw a line between genetic abnormalities vs children who are genetically "normal" but simply aren't what you'd pick if you could special-order them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

But yeah, in general, kids are whatever you get... although I think in practical experience people would draw a line between genetic abnormalities vs children who are genetically "normal" but simply aren't what you'd pick if you could special-order them.
    and I'll agree with that... I'm pro choice and can think of plenty of reasons NOT to keep a baby, but if it's perfectly healthy, you were planning to have a baby and you have the financial resources to deal with it... that's a different story

poor kids in that family...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Captain_Invincible liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

ok i was just thinking about this, one time recently my mom told me before she had kids she told people that she did not want a girl, mostly because she felt that the world was unfair to females or something but after i was born she started saying that having a daughter is great, so going in she only wanted boys, but then she had a girl and found out how great that is. which is like i'm sure the reverse is true some people only want girls end up with a boy and found out how great they are. the other day i mentioned to her i was going to a male dominated field and how my professor told me that a lot of companies want to hire females and i followed with I want to get hired on merit but, and she was like use the fact your a female in a male dominated field to your advantage
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

in elementary school one of my class mates had 5 sisters and the reason is they wanted to carry on the last name of the family so they kept having kids til they got a boy and same with one of my friends she was the 3rd of 6 all but the youngest was a boy, but her parents were gonna keep having kids til they had a boy (the south is weird sometimes)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I read "choosing baby sex"
    My eyes went wide for a second

Ok i think thats what ppl usually refer to as my inapropriate behavior.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes kyuuei, Ivy liked this post