Quote Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
    Heisenburg's Principle
    Heisenburg's
    Heisenburg's
    Heisenburg
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    You chose to have breakfast when you did for a number of reasons, and you can choose to eat at another time on another day, even if it conflicts with your current plans--but no matter when you choose to eat, it will have been predetermined by every single factor that influences your decision. Does that make sense? Determinism isn't a constricting belief in the slightest--it just asserts that everything that has happened is all that could have happened given the contributing forces' trajectories.
    That makes sense but may not be entirely true with regards to what a neuron is for we still haven't determined to the most basic level what it could be.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
    When every neural connection from your choices is determined by a reactionary response through every other relevant neural connection and the neural bias or the wiring of one's brain is formulated through constant repetition of the external influence, or by genetic formulation, and each infinitesimal influence is a reaction to every other infinitesimal force, will is only an illusion we utilise on a higher conscious plane through such mental programming. It is only but logical. Anything beyond it is incomprehensible as our logic formulated through such cause and effect of such things.
    You and opal both give intelligent responses with a dash of enchantment. I see the argument for determinism but have to say that I believe the answer lies in the middle @Opal
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

@Opal @Oaky

The other issue I see with reducing decisions to the level of neurons in the brains or neurology is that the brain cannot account for the experience of unity. We do not experience ourselves as cells and divided but as a unified whole.
    it was open
    -the end"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    You and opal both give intelligent responses with a dash of enchantment. I see the argument for determinism but have to say that I believe the answer lies in the middle @Opal
    I'm not sure what you mean by enchantment... I have trouble fully arguing for determinism, as the concept made perfect sense when I was first introduced to it--it fit my understanding of life, and no reconciliation was necessary. It was one of those moments where I simply learned the official label for a construct/phenomenon I had already built/understood.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post