• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does quantum physics end the free will debate?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Heisenburg's Principle

Heisenburg's

Heisenburg's

Heisenburg

15regeo.jpg

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You chose to have breakfast when you did for a number of reasons, and you can choose to eat at another time on another day, even if it conflicts with your current plans--but no matter when you choose to eat, it will have been predetermined by every single factor that influences your decision. Does that make sense? Determinism isn't a constricting belief in the slightest--it just asserts that everything that has happened is all that could have happened given the contributing forces' trajectories.

That makes sense but may not be entirely true with regards to what a neuron is for we still haven't determined to the most basic level what it could be.:shock:

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
When every neural connection from your choices is determined by a reactionary response through every other relevant neural connection and the neural bias or the wiring of one's brain is formulated through constant repetition of the external influence, or by genetic formulation, and each infinitesimal influence is a reaction to every other infinitesimal force, will is only an illusion we utilise on a higher conscious plane through such mental programming. It is only but logical. Anything beyond it is incomprehensible as our logic formulated through such cause and effect of such things.

You and opal both give intelligent responses with a dash of enchantment. I see the argument for determinism but have to say that I believe the answer lies in the middle [MENTION=20757]Opal[/MENTION]

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
[MENTION=20757]Opal[/MENTION] [MENTION=6071]Oaky[/MENTION]

The other issue I see with reducing decisions to the level of neurons in the brains or neurology is that the brain cannot account for the experience of unity. We do not experience ourselves as cells and divided but as a unified whole.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
You and opal both give intelligent responses with a dash of enchantment. I see the argument for determinism but have to say that I believe the answer lies in the middle [MENTION=20757]Opal[/MENTION]

I'm not sure what you mean by enchantment... I have trouble fully arguing for determinism, as the concept made perfect sense when I was first introduced to it--it fit my understanding of life, and no reconciliation was necessary. It was one of those moments where I simply learned the official label for a construct/phenomenon I had already built/understood.