• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Transhumanism: 5 questions for you

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here are five questions that are related to transhumanism.

1.If you could expand your lifespan permanently via scientific-technological means, would you do it?
2.If you could modify your central nervous system to eliminate all pain, would you do it?
3.If you could modify your central nervous system to put you in a constant state of euphoria, would you do it?
4.If you could drastically change your body to something different, would you do it?
5.If you could drastically increase your intelligence, would you do it?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1.If you could expand your lifespan permanently via scientific-technological means, would you do it?

Unsure. We can speculate all we want on why it's not good to live forever, but typically as long as a person isn't in some kind of emotional pain and have all their faculties/abilities, they still would rather live "just one more day."

2.If you could modify your central nervous system to eliminate all pain, would you do it?

No. I think pain bring clarity to life. Also, pain is a necessary input to the body to preserve health. (Re: all the health problems and eventually death that accrues with leprosy patients due to loss of nerves/pain. Do you have any idea how much even at the very basic level pain awareness keeps us alive? If we didn't shift body position when the old position became uncomfortable, for example, which we do quite often during the day, we'd end up with necrotic tissue / tissue and bone damage.)

3.If you could modify your central nervous system to put you in a constant state of euphoria, would you do it?

No. It would eventually all become "same-old" and thus unhappy.

4.If you could drastically change your body to something different, would you do it?

I'm open, but the answer is contextual and based on far more than the body transformation. (For example, if such a transformation horrifically ostracizes you from the rest of your culture and/or inhibits what you want to accomplish in life, then... no.)

Same as Answer 4, although less so. It would just be frustrating being so smart without anyone else who might be able to understand... although I suppose if the same option is available to many, everyone could be smarter.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No sometimes I don't like the fact I've lived this long and there's so many humans expanding life span isn't worth it imo
Depends on the reason if the pain is happening and i can make it better. if it's just cuz of a headache because of sinuses and really not much can be done, then yes
No, because I would take happiness for granted and just be a terrible person because of it
No, I wouldn't I don't see why I need to be unhappy with my body
Possibly, but I have to ask in what way?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

If my family and SO could and were going to, yes. I wouldn't want to live longer alone. But forever? I don't think so, not forever. I want to know what's on the other side.

Definitely not. Pain is useful. Tells you that you're in danger.

No, it would quickly become baseline. Unless we're assuming it wouldn't. I don't know, though. Maybe a state of hypomania, sure. But euphoria I think would be too much. I don't want to live outside reality.

Just a really trim version of myself would be great.

Maybe in certain areas, but I would have to give which some thought.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sure, I can always just throw myself off a bridge if it's not my thing.

Nope, pain informs me.

No, it sounds like the equivalent of being strung-out junky. They did this to rats in a scientific study, and the rats just ended up starving, because they didn't feel the need for anything else.

Yeah, like being neurally connected to the web, or night vision, or being able to sense magnetic fields, or being able to increase my taste palette, or increasing overall strength and agility, and more...

Yep, depending on what exactly that means.

Glint

ಠ﹏ಠ
MBTI Type
TiNi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I might, but only if I had found happiness and stability with where I was in life. The way things are going now I don't see myself really wanting to be around for that long.

No way.

No. Ignorance is bliss, too, but I would rather comprehend things clearly than merely feel happy all the time.

Probably not. The only things I could think of that I would want to change are minor things like vision (lasik - already possible with current tech), immunity to dental cavities, a better immune system/resistance to viral (and other sources of) infections...

I fear what I would become. I would not want to increase my intelligence to the point where I'm toeing the line between brilliance and insanity. I would not want to live in a world where intelligence can be drastically increased in any way, for myself or anyone else.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes. I have nothingness issues.

No thanks, that's dangerous. There's a graphic image in the link, so if you don't want to look at that, this sentence gets the point across: "Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis may be misdiagnosed for leprosy, based on similar symptoms of severe injuries to the hands and feet." :aquiver:

No, that would totally cut me off from any further self-discovery and possibly muffle my ability to respond to crises. Courage isn't the absence of fear and despair, but how we transform them. Those feelings are signals for me to make a choice. Also, I think my creative abilities would tank if I only had one emotion to draw from, producing flat and boring work that no one who doesn't also have the nervous system modification could relate to, and that I wouldn't even have the dignity of being dissatisfied with. Basically...this would be to annihilate myself and become the drug, which is the opposite of what I live for.

Yes. I'd like to not have to spend so much time maintaining it, and to be able to survive at my full capacities in a wider range of environmental conditions. Taken to an invulnerable conclusion, this would be economically hilarious. No more need for food, sleep, or shelter means money would lose much of its weight as an essential. I can see myself making good abuse of this.

I'd need more detail, but this sounds good so far. A person with boosted intelligence could potentially do a lot of social and scientific good, although the psychological isolation could introduce a crippling factor to this. I might also take less pride in whatever I produced if said productiveness wouldn't have happened had I not done the brain thing. It would feel like a less authentic shortcut, somehow less honorable than accomplishing something great in a battle victory against the limits I was born with. Like these aren't my personal accomplishments, but the new brain's and the doctors' who designed it, channeled through my body but not truly of it. On the other hand, the choice to get the brain augment was mine, so it also makes sense to personally claim the results of that choice.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I could go with mods. That's about it. Don't know about increasing my intelligence, but maybe some tools to assist me in using the intelligence I have more efficiently.

Maybe stuff like electronic skin pigments and hair color I could change by thinking. Maybe be a nekomimi. Or even have extra limbs - four hands might be pretty cool.

The other stuff like living forever and not feeling pain or constant euphoria... no.

25g4e12.jpg

2qstisn.jpg

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Sure, but I want to reserve the option to die.

Unless I also become invincible, I do not think that would be wise.

Furthermore, I wouldn't want that if I were in a small minority in doing it, because I suspect not feeling pain would impair my ability to empathize with others.

I think the answers to the previous question pretty much apply here, too.

Depends on how committal it is. I'd be afraid to make a huge change that I couldn't undo. If I could be a shape shifter, I'd try all kinds of things.

By my definition of intelligence, sure I think I'd do that.

Chthonic

After approximately three and half seconds worth of thought I'll answer no to all of the above.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the replies!

As for me, I'd definitely go with 1 and that's the main reason I consider myself a transhumanist. For the others, I haven't really formed an opinion yet.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

No to the first three: I'm happy with the average lifespan, I am 100% certain that emotional variety is what makes happiness so wonderful, and I would probably be useless and lazy and of no good to the world if I were constantly euphoric.

Yes to the last two: Give me super-intelligence and superhuman strength any day of the week. Hell yes.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

yes in a heartbeat... there's so much to see and learn! :holy:

no... a little pain every now and then can be a bit thrilling :whistling:

plus, I don't want to do something dreadful like accidentally set my immortal self on fire!

no... what is joy without pain?

not yet, ask again in 10 years

not yet, ask again in 10 years... I'm already quite smart by today's standards :devil:

Swivelinglight

Permabanned

No - But I probably would extend it quite a significant amount

No - Unless there were monitors for every ailment that pain could help in diagnosing

No - Euphoria wouldn't mean much without some contrast / I would use it sometimes though

Yup - I'm all for cyborgs

Yup - I'm all for cyborgs

gromit

likes this
1. Permanently? hm... that is tough. I like life, my life, but I don't know how I'd like infinite life. This one could be cool. But I have to imagine it would be sad to watch everyone else die around you.

2. All pain? No. We need pain to tell us when we are damaging ourselves. If we have NO pain, that is a problem. But turning off some types of pain at will, that would be kinda nice.

3. Nonono... if other people are sad or upset or anxious and I'm euphoric... I will never relate to them...

4. Nope. Nothing drastic I would want.

5. I'm just smart enough for my own good, I'd say. A little more wouldn't hurt, but drastically....?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Yes, but reserving the ability to die should I choose.

2. Yes, provided I would have some other alert for when something was wrong and needed to be fixed.

3. No, I prefer the euphoria of actual life experiences.

4. Depends on what the difference was and what the benefits would be - that is, what I would be able to do that I cannot do now.

5. Yes, without question.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

1. I often half jokingly say that I'd harness time if I could. But my so far answer to this question is a maybe. Walt Disney, and a bunch of others have made attempts for something like that--cyronics. The problem with that is that we're 70% water. And we're deep. And as water freezes, ice crystals form. There's a lot of biochemistry/biophysics going all kinds of wrong there.... dude...the visceral organs! Gives a whole other meaning to "soup kitchen". (Maybe Jabba the Hutt is some sort of foreshadowing! jk) I would not want to wake up like that. The Howard Hughes Institute refuses funding from the federal government in order to stay true to the science of medicine; I'd rather spend the rest of the time I have truly living, and give that money to the progress of future generations.
2. No way. That is vitally important sensory information. (if you can't feel pain, you probably couldn't feel pleasure either....)
3. Aren't people trying to do that with Molly? It comes with a pretty nasty consequence. Not a fair trade. Euphoria comes from real experiences. Like a 20 minute, seamless glissade from 11,000ft; finding water falls hidden in ice caves beneath the crevasses of glaciers. Kayaking the Willamette River through the city at night; the SMELLS of salty ocean water, new born babies, PUPPY BREATH :happy2:; the scent of ozone after a heavy rain in the summer, healthy forest floor ecosystems, moss, snow, my mother's hair, scotch tape; the aphrodisiatic scent of antique book bindings (the rare book room at Powell's. OMG!), TOUCH. Genuine intimacy and connection with another human being. There's a counterfeit for everything. Except experience.
4. Diet, love and exercise. Let it sleep once in awhile.
5. YES, but I get to select the material.

cm81

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No sometimes I don't like the fact I've lived this long and there's so many humans expanding life span isn't worth it imo
Depends on the reason if the pain is happening and i can make it better. if it's just cuz of a headache because of sinuses and really not much can be done, then yes
No, because I would take happiness for granted and just be a terrible person because of it
No, I wouldn't I don't see why I need to be unhappy with my body
Possibly, but I have to ask in what way?

I like your 3 & 4.