INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    No. No. No. No. No.
    I kindof love your avatar.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    If you could drastically increase your intelligence, would you do it?
    Most of us would like a better job, a better house, a better car, more money, more education, and some of us even want a better spouse, but almost none of us want to raise our intelligence.

Why is this?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Most of us would like a better job, a better house, a better car, more money, more education, and some of us even want a better spouse, but almost none of us want to raise our intelligence.

Why is this?
    Ignorance is bliss?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Ignorance is bliss?
    I think it is because each of us, regardless of our intelligence, sees the world as a gestalt, in other words, we see the world as a whole. And as it is obvious to us that we can never see more than the whole, so we don't hanker to see more, we don't hanker for more intelligence - for what is the point, we can see it all anyway.

Here are five questions that are related to transhumanism.

1.If you could expand your lifespan permanently via scientific-technological means, would you do it?
    2.If you could modify your central nervous system to eliminate all pain, would you do it?
    3.If you could modify your central nervous system to put you in a constant state of euphoria, would you do it?
    4.If you could drastically change your body to something different, would you do it?
    5.If you could drastically increase your intelligence, would you do it?
    In general, it depends on the cost associated with the transformations.

1) We've already expand our "natural" lifespans significantly. Assuming a a similar trend for life extension (better treatment of diseases and injuries), I would say yes.
    2) Pain serves a purpose, so probably not. However, if I had a situation of pathological pain that could be eliminated, then I would eliminate the pathological pain.
    3) Probably not. Feeling the difference between when I am feeling good vs. not is a good guide for me in making decisions. I am not sure what would make up for this signal if it were lost for the sole purpose of hedonism.
    4) It really depends on what that is. There isn't anything in particular that I want to be, however. Though, some form of energy being that lives forever and could travel through time might be nice.
    5) Probably. I always feel a bit inadequate here.

Again, all of these depend on the costs associated with the changes.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned

I think many people are answering as if it's some gift or super power only you have. If this is a result of a commercial technology, I'd expect everyone around me to have the same options, and am going to answer with that assumption in mind.

1.If you could expand your lifespan permanently via scientific-technological means, would you do it?
    Yes, assuming I can opt out of the service and kill myself if I one day choose too. As long as life isn't predictably hopeless, then you have one of two states - either life with a reason to live, or life with the potential to find a reason to live tomorrow. Otherwise, even if nobody is making the choice to live forever, almost everybody is making the choice to live a bit longer and not suffer from whatever it is that might be killing you otherwise, and to not do the same would be to abandon everyone around you. But, if this is an outer-body service (like resurrection in computer games), then I want the option to opt out, because I can't reliably predict that I won't find a counter argument for this by the time I am 5 million years old.

2.If you could modify your central nervous system to eliminate all pain, would you do it?
    No, but I might like to change the symptoms and experience of pain so that it isn't as debilitating. Maybe give it the settings of an alarm clock, so that you can go "I hear you, I am trying to fix the problem that's causing you, now shut up". Like a pain snooze button. Maybe make pain more informative so that you have a better grasp of what is causing it - less like a noisy siren in your nervous system and more like a developed addition to the 5 senses. Instead of getting rid of pain, make pain work better.

3.If you could modify your central nervous system to put you in a constant state of euphoria, would you do it?
    No, but I might use it as an incentive system to give myself an euphoric response to things that I need to do but don't really like doing.

4.If you could drastically change your body to something different, would you do it?
    I'd like to have a wardrobe of bodies to which I can move my conscious too. Going out for a run? Time to be a centaur. I have time off? I'll take on something that can fly. Going out partying? let's see... Am I in the mood to look like brad pit or like a Japanese tentacle monster? And what race do I want to be today? African? Asian? How about native american?

If everyone around me has the same ability, and I want to be employable and relevant to the economy, do I even have a choice?

literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot

No to all.

Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can