across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Thanks for the replies!

As for me, I'd definitely go with 1 and that's the main reason I consider myself a transhumanist. For the others, I haven't really formed an opinion yet.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    Here are five questions that are related to transhumanism.

1.If you could expand your lifespan permanently via scientific-technological means, would you do it?
    2.If you could modify your central nervous system to eliminate all pain, would you do it?
    3.If you could modify your central nervous system to put you in a constant state of euphoria, would you do it?
    4.If you could drastically change your body to something different, would you do it?
    5.If you could drastically increase your intelligence, would you do it?
    No to the first three: I'm happy with the average lifespan, I am 100% certain that emotional variety is what makes happiness so wonderful, and I would probably be useless and lazy and of no good to the world if I were constantly euphoric.

Yes to the last two: Give me super-intelligence and superhuman strength any day of the week. Hell yes.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

1.If you could expand your lifespan permanently via scientific-technological means, would you do it?

yes in a heartbeat... there's so much to see and learn!

2.If you could modify your central nervous system to eliminate all pain, would you do it?

no... a little pain every now and then can be a bit thrilling

plus, I don't want to do something dreadful like accidentally set my immortal self on fire!

3.If you could modify your central nervous system to put you in a constant state of euphoria, would you do it?

no... what is joy without pain?

4.If you could drastically change your body to something different, would you do it?

not yet, ask again in 10 years

not yet, ask again in 10 years... I'm already quite smart by today's standards
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

No - But I probably would extend it quite a significant amount

No - Unless there were monitors for every ailment that pain could help in diagnosing

No - Euphoria wouldn't mean much without some contrast / I would use it sometimes though

Yup - I'm all for cyborgs

Yup - I'm all for cyborgs

1. Permanently? hm... that is tough. I like life, my life, but I don't know how I'd like infinite life. This one could be cool. But I have to imagine it would be sad to watch everyone else die around you.

2. All pain? No. We need pain to tell us when we are damaging ourselves. If we have NO pain, that is a problem. But turning off some types of pain at will, that would be kinda nice.

3. Nonono... if other people are sad or upset or anxious and I'm euphoric... I will never relate to them...

4. Nope. Nothing drastic I would want.

5. I'm just smart enough for my own good, I'd say. A little more wouldn't hurt, but drastically....?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

No. No. No. No. No.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it
    Likes cm81 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

1. Yes, but reserving the ability to die should I choose.

2. Yes, provided I would have some other alert for when something was wrong and needed to be fixed.

3. No, I prefer the euphoria of actual life experiences.

4. Depends on what the difference was and what the benefits would be - that is, what I would be able to do that I cannot do now.

5. Yes, without question.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

1. I often half jokingly say that I'd harness time if I could. But my so far answer to this question is a maybe. Walt Disney, and a bunch of others have made attempts for something like that--cyronics. The problem with that is that we're 70% water. And we're deep. And as water freezes, ice crystals form. There's a lot of biochemistry/biophysics going all kinds of wrong there.... dude...the visceral organs! Gives a whole other meaning to "soup kitchen". (Maybe Jabba the Hutt is some sort of foreshadowing! jk) I would not want to wake up like that. The Howard Hughes Institute refuses funding from the federal government in order to stay true to the science of medicine; I'd rather spend the rest of the time I have truly living, and give that money to the progress of future generations.
    2. No way. That is vitally important sensory information. (if you can't feel pain, you probably couldn't feel pleasure either....)
    3. Aren't people trying to do that with Molly? It comes with a pretty nasty consequence. Not a fair trade. Euphoria comes from real experiences. Like a 20 minute, seamless glissade from 11,000ft; finding water falls hidden in ice caves beneath the crevasses of glaciers. Kayaking the Willamette River through the city at night; the SMELLS of salty ocean water, new born babies, PUPPY BREATH ; the scent of ozone after a heavy rain in the summer, healthy forest floor ecosystems, moss, snow, my mother's hair, scotch tape; the aphrodisiatic scent of antique book bindings (the rare book room at Powell's. OMG!), TOUCH. Genuine intimacy and connection with another human being. There's a counterfeit for everything. Except experience.
    4. Diet, love and exercise. Let it sleep once in awhile.
    5. YES, but I get to select the material.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    No sometimes I don't like the fact I've lived this long and there's so many humans expanding life span isn't worth it imo
    Depends on the reason if the pain is happening and i can make it better. if it's just cuz of a headache because of sinuses and really not much can be done, then yes
    No, because I would take happiness for granted and just be a terrible person because of it
    No, I wouldn't I don't see why I need to be unhappy with my body
    Possibly, but I have to ask in what way?
    I like your 3 & 4.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    After approximately three and half seconds worth of thought I'll answer no to all of the above.
    That was funny.

"There's a magic inside,