User Tag List

123 Last

Post Woman becomes first to give birth from transplanted womb

Woman becomes first to give birth from transplanted womb — using one donated from her own mother
    Rebecca Smith
    October 3, 2014
    The Telegraph

Excerpt:
    LONDON — The world’s first birth from a transplanted womb was announced Friday.

Details of the birth are being closely guarded, but it is believed it took place in Sweden where surgeons have performed pioneering surgery.

Fertility experts in Britain said they were preparing to carry out a similar procedure in this country next year. It could help 14,000 British women carry their own child.

The breakthrough was reported by The Lancet medical journal on its website last night. It is thought the birth occurred within the last month after doctors transplanted wombs into several women who had a rare genetic condition that meant they were born without their own womb.

In January, one of the patients underwent in-vitro fertilization treatment that resulted in an embryo being transferred to her new womb. The donated womb came from the woman’s own mother, so the baby is also the first born to a woman using the same womb from which she emerged herself.

< full story >
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes Chanaynay liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

$180K for a womb transplant so someone can have a baby, while there is no shortage of children already born who need parents. I can appreciate this as a scientific achievement, but in practical terms, it fails any sort of cost/benefit analysis.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Noll liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    $180K for a womb transplant so someone can have a baby, while there is no shortage of children already born who need parents. I can appreciate this as a scientific achievement, but in practical terms, it fails any sort of cost/benefit analysis.
    Depends on who you ask. Some people would absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt consider it worth it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Depends on who you ask. Some people would absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt consider it worth it.
    No doubt. That doesn't make it a reasonable choice. The world is full of people who don't make rational decisions, and whose priorities defy logic.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

No doubt. That doesn't make it a reasonable choice. The world is full of people who don't make rational decisions, and whose priorities defy logic.
    Yes I agree. I don't think that just because it's irrational/illogical that it devalues it though.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Yes I agree. I don't think that just because it's irrational/illogical that it devalues it though.
    What value does it have then? All I see is selfishness and waste. Yes, the initial test subjects did a valuable service for science in making it possible to test the hypothesis that this was possible and to demonstrate that and how it could be done. In what circumstances, however, does this choice justify the cost?

MBTI
    yupp

What value does it have then? All I see is selfishness and waste. Yes, the initial test subjects did a valuable service for science in making it possible to test the hypothesis that this was possible and to demonstrate that and how it could be done. In what circumstances, however, does this choice justify the cost?
    in a world where 95% of the population has been wiped out and the only people left of child bearing age don't have a working womb.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Is this a possibility on men? May I have the possibility to become pregnant in the near future?
    Likes prplchknz, chickpea, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Oaky View Post
    Is this a possibility on men? May I have the possibility to become pregnant in the near future?
    how would it come out? i mean ok c-section, but what if it tried to birth itself before your c-section it could die
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how would it come out? i mean ok c-section, but what if it tried to birth itself before your c-section it could die
    Is this thought for a gender change? Or a semi-gender change? Or you could like make a hole in the belly. Ah, the complications. This is not yet for present times.