• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

lol @ android users

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its been a few years since i got into this smartphone thing and i used to laugh at iphones for being so expensive, yet not offering much processing power, pretty much uncustomizable OS etc etc. Not that i havent been happy with my android phone, but getting an android phone to work in a way that its a pleasure to use requires quite bit of customization and know how(also money unless you do it like i did and wared the programs), luckily it wasnt a problem for me. Now like two weeks ago i was thinking of getting a new phone since i noticed how much cameras on them have improved and the charging port on my phone is starting to brake. First i started looking at the cameras. At first it seemed like android was the way to go still since they have so fancy cameras with 16+megadicksells, but looking at all of them a bit deeper, i noticed that all of them were lacking on one or another department, some had shitty AWB, others were poor at focusing, or poor at calculating the exposure, inability to produce colors properly(not just because of shitty AWB) etc. and seriously the size of pixels on sensor is a larger factor to image quality than the amount of pixels. Then i started to look at other specs, like fingerprint reader was something i really wanted, sony or other phones with the back(etc) buttons being on screen is something i will not tolerate on a phone. I dont care about the phone being fastest on market, just as long as its not too much slower than the fastest. Then i started to entertain myself with the iphone 5s, looking at its camera(which is far superior to most of the android phones on market) and noticed that there is a OS upgrade coming and also a new iphone. Then i started looking at how i have modified my current phone to serve me the best and noticed that ios8 isnt that much different.. Also what caught my eyes was that now developers have better access to iphone camera functions, not going to go much in detail with that, but lets just say that its a good thing that apple finally is starting to open up their OS at least a bit more to developers. Specs on iphones are quite misleading because the processors are nearly half the speed of good android processors, but looking into this more, it seems that it doesent matter to performance because apparently android has some fundamental design flaws pretty much require better processors(for example all processes take same amount of processor power because thats the way it was on first android version and thats what the newer stuff is built on and it will cause occasional lags and freezes no matter how much processing power the phone has).
So after trying to figure out which phone i should get, i ended up preordering iphone6 :)

Now i am expecting all the android fan boys to come and laugh at me :D And no, i dont consider myself a fan boy of any sort im too old for that sort of thing, i just want to push some buttons(still not too old for that)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To each their own. Not worth laughing at or caring about or getting buttons pushed.

I don't give a shit about specific specs or features unless they prevent me from doing what I want to do. I'm not going to notice if a processor is e.g. 0.08GHz faster. I don't know what in God's name AWB even is, and not knowing hasn't affected me in the slightest. All I know and care about is that my phone (Android) suits my needs and does what I want it to do. The ability to hack into it and explore what it's further capable of doing is icing on the cake.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are we talking about practicing photography with... a smartphone?

Raffaella

bon vivant
My biggest dilemma with my android phone is that it's not very compatible with apple products. It takes at least an hour to transfer photos from my phone to my laptop because the recommended program sucks so I usually just upload them to google drive.

I use my phone more like a computer than a phone and I've found that iPhones don't suit me. I don't mind apple products (I've got a lot of them as is) but when it comes to phones (something much more portable than a tablet/ipad) I prefer something with as much function as a computer. Plus, the screen hasn't even cracked and I've dropped it multiple times... lets not forget that cringe-inducing disclaimer at the end of emails: "This was sent by my iphone" - is that why it looks like it's been written by a toddler?

Anyway, battery life is poor in both phones and isn't that the most significant thing?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I swapped from Android to iOS. It really depends on what kind of user you are.

I got an Android because I wanted to break away from iOS, and I saw that ICS had really upped the UI experience. It was packed with all sorts of cool features, it had a nice robotic glow in its UI and it was just more flexible. I bought into the option of being able to do as I please.

After using it for a while, I found that most of the features were irrelevant to me, and to get the UI to look the way I wanted it to, it required a bit of hacking and coding. Or a bit of money (really missing the point of Android here). I'm not much of a programmer, so I was "stuck" so to say.

Then there's also the UI bit. Because Android spans across different platforms and devices, the UI experience varies WILDLY. You will have OEMs tacking on their unoptimized skins (like Samsung's TouchWiz) which deteriorate after a few years, or you have OEMs leaving Android as it is (like Motorola). Apps also suffer from this because it needs to accommodate Android's wide range of devices, and on some Android phones (particularly the low end or older ones) they can crash or become glitchy.

There's also the part where OEMs constantly pump out bigger and higher parts to be put in the phones. If you don't upgrade every few years, the apps and UI you have installed will not run properly because of the lack of RAM and processing speed.

I'm looking for something future-proof and just works, and that's why I went back to iOS. I am guaranteed a version update every time a new one releases, and I know that each iPhone can last 4 different updates before it tanks itself out. I also have the option of using Apple's stock messaging and webcam feature to communicate, which so far, has been less glitchy and more convenient than popular platforms such as Skype or Whatsapp.

That being said, I don't think Apple is much of an innovator. If anything, it's an iterator. It takes whatever innovation it thinks people will like using, refines it, then sells it.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to make fun of windows phones, until I heard how long their battery lasts. Makes you wonder.

I'm disappointed in Android, because it is built on this inefficient Dalvik Java framework. The framework makes sense for rapid development, so you have plenty of apps available, but at the cost of performance and battery life. They are changing Dalvik (framework) to ART. But the increase in speed and battery life is probably like a few nano seconds. and a few seconds extra battery life. I really don't see how that is a drastic improvement. Apple is also changing gears with it's byte code runtime frameworks from (not that familiar with their frameworks) something, to something else :D

But I would say this, holding the iPhone in my hand, the accuracy and speed at which it lets me operate the phone. It is simply great. That is simply not happening with Android at all, even with their mega processing power and supposedly superior hardware. iPhone simply "suspends" applications instead multitasking like android would. It uses clever tricks like that to make the most of everything. I just don't get how Android is making something as efficient as the Linux kernel into something that is really very much inefficient. I wish the other frameworks provided by Qt/Meego could have been backed by a company like Google and shove it onto vendors and expand that framework for much more friendly, rapid development environment. Pipe dreams...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The ability to hack into it and explore what it's further capable of doing is icing on the cake.

You can hack/root/jailbrake both androids and iphones, but with both you will lose the warranty.

Are we talking about practicing photography with... a smartphone?

Some of the smartphones that are out nowadays have pretty good image quality compared to what it was some time ago. Many of them even seem to outperform compact cameras from few years back(and the cheap ones of today), so i dont really see any problem with that. I mean its not going to replace my DSLR, but will replace my pocket camera.

Anyway, battery life is poor in both phones and isn't that the most significant thing?

Some android phones have pretty good battery life, like the samsung galaxy s5 that my friend just bought some time ago. But its BIG phone and not sure if the iphone 6+ which is also a big phone has better or at least similar battery life. For me however battery life isnt all that important to me because i dont really play with my phone much, for me a phone is more of a phone, camera and a music player, occasionally also check something from interwebs if i need to and am not at computer and i will charge it every night whether the battery is at 5% or 50% when i go to bed..

I swapped from Android to iOS. It really depends on what kind of user you are.

I got an Android because I wanted to break away from iOS, and I saw that ICS had really upped the UI experience. It was packed with all sorts of cool features, it had a nice robotic glow in its UI and it was just more flexible. I bought into the option of being able to do as I please.

After using it for a while, I found that most of the features were irrelevant to me, and to get the UI to look the way I wanted it to, it required a bit of hacking and coding. Or a bit of money (really missing the point of Android here). I'm not much of a programmer, so I was "stuck" so to say.

I had similar experience, first i wanted to do what i please, but after doing that for a while, i noticed that i had actually stripped the phone to a level of iOS..

But I would say this, holding the iPhone in my hand, the accuracy and speed at which it lets me operate the phone. It is simply great. That is simply not happening with Android at all, even with their mega processing power and supposedly superior hardware.

Galaxy s5(and most likely some other androids on its level) is really fast phone, i mean in most situations you couldnt go much faster because things happen instantly. But yes android will lag at some points no matter how much processing power there is due to the crappy architecture of the OS.

I wanted to hear some android fan boy tears, but you guys made it too hard for them to cry here :(

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You can hack/root/jailbrake both androids and iphones, but with both you will lose the warranty.
Oh yeah, no doubt. I don't know how hard it is to hack up an iPhone--might be pretty easy--but I do like the ability to hack up a phone (no matter which phone it is). It's one of my criteria.

We can all agree to point and laugh at Windows Phone, though, right? The tens of apps that are available for it aren't so hot.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, no doubt. I don't know how hard it is to hack up an iPhone--might be pretty easy--but I do like the ability to hack up a phone (no matter which phone it is). It's one of my criteria.

We can all agree to point and laugh at Windows Phone, though, right? The tens of apps that are available for it aren't so hot.

To me it's a gimped version of iOS.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I picked up my iPhone 6 today and I am quite pleased. I was happy to sell Android's latest gem, the LG G3.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
6 or 6+?

How does it feel in your hands?

The straight 6, 64gb in Space Grey color. The size is pretty ideal (although, I think 5 inches would be perfect (that's what she said)). That was a big part of me scrapping the idea to stick with android. My first android experience and I got a phablet. The LG G3 is a 5.5 inch screen, same as the 6+. That's way too much phone for me. But a lot of people seem excited about the 6+... Different strokes for different folks.

As for how it feels in my hands......

216351866-feels-good-man_1.jpg

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Are you sure the iPhone camera is better than Nokia Lumia's camera?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The straight 6, 64gb in Space Grey color. The size is pretty ideal (although, I think 5 inches would be perfect (that's what she said)). That was a big part of me scrapping the idea to stick with android. My first android experience and I got a phablet. The LG G3 is a 5.5 inch screen, same as the 6+. That's way too much phone for me. But a lot of people seem excited about the 6+... Different strokes for different folks.

As for how it feels in my hands......

216351866-feels-good-man_1.jpg

I'm wondering how it'll feel in my hands. I have a 5S and I love it because of its size but I'm on the expensive monthly plan and I'm looking to downgrade this coming March. I might have to get a new phone to downgrade -- if my carrier still sells the 5S at a discount I'm going to get it. I have the gold one but I really hate it (my mother bought this, and then handed it down to me), and I'm going to swap it out for the black one.

FDG said:
Are you sure the iPhone camera is better than Nokia Lumia's camera?

It's pretty good though personally I can't tell the difference between the two unless you zoom in.

Raffaella

bon vivant
What's with the protruding camera lens? The iphone can't sit on a flat surface. I also just realised that the iphone has an aluminium body - HTC one M7 was released after iPhone 5 and it had an aluminium body and a sleek design... bit slow, aren't we, Apple? The iPhone 6 looks tacky, the stripes are excessive and misplaced.

Android fanboy tears, indeed.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my room mate had to get an iphone for work she wants to go back to android

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
What's with the protruding camera lens? The iphone can't sit on a flat surface. I also just realised that the iphone has an aluminium body - HTC one M7 was released after iPhone 5 and it had an aluminium body and a sleek design... bit slow, aren't we, Apple? The iPhone 6 looks tacky, the stripes are excessive and misplaced.

Android fanboy tears, indeed.

i hope you realize that many android phones have protruding lens as well, like all galaxy s phones at least since tue second one and many others too. it would be quite funny if you havent noticed this and bark onlyat iphone 6 for it :D but the thing is that its physically impossible to make a phone as slim as iphone 6 without protruding lens and still have the same sensor size. not to mention that its better to make the phone slim with protruding lens and use a case for protection to make the lens not to stick out, because that way the phone stays slim even with a case and stays more protected.

what comes to looks, its a totally subjective topic and imo it looks better than any android ever

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Would be interesting to see if any android phone can beat these antutu benchmark scores from my iphone 6:

VwTGLii.png

i tried to google, but highest from androids i found were like 42k only