User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Maybe Islamophobia.
    errr ... nope ...

Mole is banned for one week for persistent thread derails
    appears deviance may be the issue?

one of godel's solutions to GR admits closed timelike curves, which allow the possibility of backwards travel in time?

however, closed timelike curves of causally-connected events appear to preclude any physical means of determining
    whether a given event, in the series of events defined by the curve, happened earlier or later than any other -
    perhaps rendering the question of past present & future, and travel between them, semantically moot?

godel's universes are deemed ... "exotic";

welcome back, dear Mole, welcome ... back!

Mole is banned for one week for persistent thread derails
    you have been such a v wicked mole!

have you recovered?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Interesting lecture. It made me think of something unrelated though quite peculiar.

Thoguht: The event horizon of a black hole is made up of an extreme amount of invisible light.

Reasoning: the exact moment anything capable of relfecting light that passes the event horizon, the event horizon (beyond the point of no return where even the speed of light can no longer escape from) captures that relfected light indefinately on the event horizon, as it is the moment where the speed of light is not sucked into the black hole nor able to escape the black hole. So the event horizon of a black hole would be extremely bright, but only visible when you are exactly on the event horizon.

As for time travel, I like the type two time travel far more than the type one. And on that I also had an idea.

So they couldn't reproduce the grandfather paradox because the photon always deviated from its final destination of destroying itself, whatever that meant, but you could still theoretically send a message back this way through measuring how many photons you send back and/or how much time inbetween. Or whatever code you apply to it. And then act upon that sent information and still cause a grandfather paradox. So how would that work?

Of course they'd fist need to be able to send photons back more than a billionth of a nanosecond to do that but you see the issue.

Even if the photons themselves can not change through time travel and need to be in the same state, an array of photons can still relay a message.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Interesting lecture. It made me think of something unrelated though quite peculiar.

Thoguht: The event horizon of a black hole is made up of an extreme amount of invisible light.

Reasoning: the exact moment anything capable of relfecting light that passes the event horizon, the event horizon (beyond the point of no return where even the speed of light can no longer escape from) captures that relfected light indefinately on the event horizon, as it is the moment where the speed of light is not sucked into the black hole nor able to escape the black hole. So the event horizon of a black hole would be extremely bright, but only visible when you are exactly on the event horizon.
    neat! i think that may be called a photon sphere?

Photon sphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there may be a thread covering black holes, elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    As for time travel, I like the type two time travel far more than the type one. And on that I also had an idea.

So they couldn't reproduce the grandfather paradox because the photon always deviated from its final destination of destroying itself, whatever that meant, but you could still theoretically send a message back this way through measuring how many photons you send back and/or how much time inbetween. Or whatever code you apply to it. And then act upon that sent information and still cause a grandfather paradox. So how would that work?

Of course they'd fist need to be able to send photons back more than a billionth of a nanosecond to do that but you see the issue.

Even if the photons themselves can not change through time travel and need to be in the same state, an array of photons can still relay a message.
    i suspect i'm a Type 1 sort-a guy, given the mutiverse and all that?

i have to pass on your second idea, though, sorry;

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by st-t-toat View Post
    neat! i think that may be called a photon sphere?

Photon sphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there may be a thread covering black holes, elsewhere?

i suspect i'm a Type 1 sort-a guy, given the mutiverse and all that?

i have to pass on your second idea, though, sorry;
    Type one is pretty boring though. Because it can only affect your future, but never your past. Type two, if possible to crack the paradox, would essentially mean that you can simply receive information that can save the world and make you rich at the time in your life of your choosing, and once you received that information, there isn't even a need to bother sending it again in the future! It's perfect.

So I wonder why you'd pass on my second idea. It would be the most effecient method of time travel out there.

Of course it's going to be impossible if they can only send photons back in time in a closed loop a billionth of a second, but hey if you can send a particle back in time a billionth of a second, then why wouldnt it be theoretically possible to send multiple particles back say, a day into the past in the form of an encoded message. The sheer potential power is mind boggling!

Or even better. Send photons back in time in computing so you can make the biggest calculations and get the answer before you even need to input the calculation. You could make a time-quantum computer super AI!

The only downside is that it is way more scary than type 1 time travel, because we'd never be influenced by type 1 travel as it can not change our world by definition. But type 2. Very scary.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I'm still waiting on these hover cars society promised.

Frankly I think is travelling back in time possible begs the question of what is time?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Versailles View Post
    I'm still waiting on these hover cars society promised.
    Patience, we are nearly there EmDrive Is an Engine That Breaks the Laws of Physics and Could Take Us to Mars
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I think the question assumes time is a constant when it is a variable.
    Likes ilikeitlikethat, All liked this post