User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you support eugenics?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 21.05%
  • No

30 78.95%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    That´s not eugenics and you know it.

If you want to rewrite your proposal as: past the X-th child, you will lose government support if you don´t have enough menas to feed him/her on the medium term, be my guest. But it doesn´t seem like you´re willing, you´re looking for something more radical.
    cutting off support after 3rd child i'm all for.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You are only free to have children under any conditions if you are prepared to forfeit any public support for them, which I doubt anybody will. Understand that I owe you nothing just for existing, so if you want something from me then my interests have to be considered as well. I want a good return on my investment. Why should I, or anybody else, should be forced to give money to genetically damaged couples any more than drug addicts or the morbidly obese?
    Aside from costing tax-payers, in what other ways are they harming society?
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, one problem is that it doesn't take much for exclusions aimed at certain groups in society to be generated simply by the pecadilloes of the ruling party/leaders. No one wants others to abuse the system and for themselves to have to take an "unreasonable" share of the load in a community situation; yet at the same time reaping any benefit within a community scenario means accepting some level of behavior and disagreement that you don't necessarily prefer. It lives in that ambiguous gray area.

So in the US, we've had a large smackdown on the tobacco industry in the last few decades, due to the health toll and financial cost of related health care... and now we're arguing (out of all things) over birth control costs. :eyeroll: But mandatory genetic planning doesn't seem to be on the table, because our cultural mentality doesn't appreciate that amount of intrusion into what is considered "private space" (the whole birth control debate aside).

Genetic testing for some things is not a simple matter. I didn't know I was a cystic fibrosis carrier until our second child was born with it, and we chose not to have any more biological children at that point. Since the rate of incidence is only 1 in 400 marriages allows for a typical recessive scenario (out of four kids, 1 positive, 2 carriers, 1 negative), people typically do not get the genetic test unless there's some reported appearance of the syndrome in either family.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't feel compelled to vote because, to my relief, this isn't a viable enough subject to be controversial.

But, history has shown that a species survival is best served with having a wide generic diversity. It keeps us flexible and more able to deal with unexpected events: environmental changes, disease, new resource allocations, etc. Human leaders have never been smart enough to deserve full control of the capabilities needed to see over their own survival.

Setting a precedent of putting our genetics in the hands of the state is dangerous, and for the moment, impractical.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't want eugenics if it was practice in the 80s i might not have been alive today. and yeah sometimes I think that be nice, realistically i dunno all I know is i'm not having kids.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

you can't trust people to make decisions like that for others. no.

information is good though, so that people can make educated decisions about reproducing.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    you can't trust people to make decisions like that for others. no.

information is good though, so that people can make educated decisions about reproducing.
    this i agree with
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

So are we talking concept, implementation, or both?

Questions: How much, exactly, do we owe it to society to raise healthy children? How much does society owe us for having them in the first place?

May be a question of a balance between fostering personal happiness versus dragging everyone else down. As others have said, providing information to the parents-to-be is the best, most balanced option.

Eugenics in implementation--well. The implementation could very well lead to a disastrous level of corruption, even if the concept is sound. (Note the "if." For the love of God Lord Jesus Christ in heaven, please note the "if.")
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Thanks to the term eugenics, I always remember that the name Eugenie means "well-born".
    I didn't know that. Now I'll remember it, too.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Allright, then please take orders from me from now on because I´m stronger than you. Because that´s how non-democracy ends up being for the greatest majority of people.
    How many of the greatest dictators and absolute monarchs have had ripped abs? And being physically strong does not preclude poor genetic quality. Their body was not what made the aforementioned people famous, and it never will be again now we have weapons capable of killing the strongest man instantly. Argument refuted.

Btw, I also think you can´t think for yourself and should be banned from voting...and perhaps reproducing.
    Understanding the various political positions and then rejecting them requires conscious thought. You dislike me because i have come to a different conclusion.

The point being, that if you don´t support democracy then you must be thinking that you´re part of the "elite", and that´s an easy cop out. You should consider supporting non-democracy while being part of those not allowed to vote.
    I am, and I would be one of the people allowed to vote, for the reasons I have outlined earlier in the thread.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    and I would be one of the people allowed to vote, for the reasons I have outlined earlier in the thread.
    I don't see these reasons explicitly spelled out in the thread.

Not meant sardonically. I literally don't see them.

Can you spell them out or quote them?
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics