User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you support eugenics?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 21.05%
  • No

30 78.95%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    yupp

if we were meant to play god we'd have more control over other people then we do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I have never supported being able to pick and choose traits in a child, and would like a binding treaty to be drawn up directing how GE technology can (and more importantly) cannot be used. Companies should not be allowed to offer women the chance to determine what their children look like, for example. I had a big argument last year with some nationalists who thought that this was an acceptable use of genetic engineering. However, that is a separate issue.

At present we are looking at more "traditional" eugenics, where it isn't possible to selectively manipulate a person's genetics. Options would be giving financial incentives to suitable couples, and/or preventing unsuitable couples from breeding. A humane way of doing this would be more extensive genetic testing at birth, and publicly funded checks for the most common STDs at 18 and 21, along with a full one before marriage.

In case anybody thinks that this is a waste of public money, consider how much we would save each year on public health.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I have never supported being able to pick and choose traits in a child, and would like a binding treaty to be drawn up directing how GE technology can (and more importantly) cannot be used. Companies should not be allowed to offer women the chance to determine what their children look like, for example. I had a big argument last year with some nationalists who thought that this was an acceptable use of genetic engineering. However, that is a separate issue.

At present we are looking at more "traditional" eugenics, where it isn't possible to selectively manipulate a person's genetics. Options would be giving financial incentives to suitable couples, and/or preventing unsuitable couples from breeding. A humane way of doing this would be more extensive genetic testing at birth, and publicly funded checks for the most common STDs at 18 and 21, along with a full one before marriage.

In case anybody thinks that this is a waste of public money, consider how much we would save each year on public health.
    how disabled where's the cut off? because ability is on a continuum.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    how disabled where's the cut off? because ability is on a continuum.
    Two factors:

1. Heritability - hence many STDs are a problem as well
    2. Disability-adjusted life years without treatment.

Something like asthma may be heritable, but as the person may well live to a full age and function normally it isn't an issue.

However, most disorders are not so benign. By definition a disorder is something that causes harm in the individual who carries it.

MBTI
    yupp

Two factors:

1. Heritability - hence many STDs are a problem as well
    2. Disability-adjusted life years
    ok
    1.if i thing of something i'll ask
    2.but there's different types and some the kids grow out of mostly others die really young.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

ok
    1.if i thing of something i'll ask
    2.but there's different types and some the kids grow out of mostly others die really young.
    Well that's why someone much more knowledgable than me would be making these decisions.

MBTI
    yupp

Well that's why someone much more knowledgable than me would be making these decisions.
    o ok, i thought you were making all the decisions, carry on.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

o ok, i thought you were making all the decisions, carry on.
    I am just throwing the idea out there because I think eugenics, if practiced in a disciplined manner, would be a positive force.

If I was actually running a country I would delegate decisions on health matters to people with medical experience.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Nevertheless, humans practice eugenics on other humans every day all over the planet, and it is highly likely that the reader himself has done so. Every time a person selects or rejects a person for a sexual relationship, he or she is practicing eugenics. 20 A person’s appearance, personality, and success in life all have strong genetic components. Even a prostitute is reluctant to have sex with a person she (or he) considers repulsive. And today, in the West, genetic screening is not uncommon. People who know they are a carrier for a genetic disease may decide not to have children or to abort a fetus that has one or two alleles for the disease. 21 They, too, are practicing eugenics.
    Interesting that people are vehemently against it when we're already practising it. I mean we give the mother of a malformed foetus the opportunity to abort so...

Pre-natal diagnosis and Abortion: Various procedures are available that allow for the pre-natal diagnosis of chromosomal anomalies and various single-gene disorders. Combined with abortion, it is thus a eugenic possibility that may help reduce the occurrence of certain diseases, although its essential purpose is to prevent giving birth to children who will have to suffer from a severe hereditary disease. An example of success resulting from this eugenic measure is Tay-Sachs(among Askenazi Jews) and Down's Syndrome, which have now become a rare occurrence, thanks to pre-natal diagnosis. This may eventually become a procedure by which embryos with an abnormally low intelligence can be detected and replaced with a more intelligent baby - an interesting eugenic possibility.
    I'm not sure how I feel about eugenics but sometimes it seems like a convenient fix.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    9W1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I am against Eugenics. It is not just controlling how people live life, but which lives should be allowed to be. It crosses some strong NF lines. That being said, Emmanuel Kant (?) was a German psychologist who, expanding on Freud's theory of survival instinct, theorized that the human race has an evolutionary need to support people with similar traits. If people sharing common genes survive, then the common genes survive as if they were your own. This was later adapted to eugenics, but some of his original theories were fascinating!