User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

4 10.26%
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Nature VS Modern Medicine and weeding out what truly works.

MBTI
    yupp

there's something i think is bs called Xooma Worldwide

i saw one site that said it was legit but i suspect they're paying that site to say that. I have a friend who fell for that and she tried to sell me their stuff because they made her a sales person, i felt bad for not accepting but seems like hogwash to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Looks like a garden-variety multi-level marketing thing to me. Back away slowly.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I already have.

Dope& diamonds. Array Dyslexxie's Avatar

I'm happy to see the results of this poll because I've heard way too much bullshit science being passed off as truth.

I have a coworker who has a fear of GMOs and that's fine, he can do that if he wants, but he's completely ignorant as to what that actually means. Without GMOs modern agriculture on the large scale we have it couldn't exist. Plants in their original state would've not had the capacity to feed any significant populations, so being anti-GMO to me is an ignorant thing to be, especially since most plants genetic makeup isn't changed. It's literally taking the best tomatoes and breeding them with the best tomatoes - what's wrong with that?
    Everyone's too overcome with the idea that Monsanto is ruining the world to truly understand how agricultural science works. But that's fine, these people can grow their own damn food and leave ours alone.
    The food industry is regulated to such a large scale that there is nothing inherently unsafe about it (at least not to outweigh the benefits), so I don't really bother changing anyone's mind on this because most are too caught in the loop that 'everything is bad and everyone wants to kill us!!11!1'

In regards to anti-vaxxers I don't even bother anymore. I don't have time for make belief peddled by dumbass celebrities like Jenny McCarthy. Since when is that broad an expert on anything in this world?
    Likes Ivy, Hard liked this post

Senior Member Array

Word to the wise: if your kid has bacterial meningitis don't give him vitamins, mineral supplements and olive root extract.

"Parents on trial in meningitis death of toddler defended use of natural remedies in police interview"

Asked by the officer whether he considered himself an expert in naturopathic remedies, Stephan said no.

"Do we have a formal education? No. Are we educated in it? Absolutely," he said. "Has it worked for us in every single scenario in the past before this? Yes."

Ezekiel was regularly given vitamin and mineral supplements, said his father, who is a vice-president of Truehope Nutritional Support Inc., a natural remedies company founded by his father, Anthony Stephan.

"And then when he was sick there, we were giving him, above and beyond that, the olive root extract, which is an antifungal, antiviral, it's a very powerful one,"

Of course these parents were found guilty of killing their kid, which didn't stop the father from posting a screed against the medical system on his Facebook page...
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Yeah, when it involves anyone other than yourself - someone in your charge, go the traditional route, i.e. allopathic.
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I've seen this really huge trend lately where people just believe what they want to believe. No one looks at studies being done in these areas, no one seems to really care if data exists. Stoners frequently post about how someone claimed they gave their kid cannbis oil on the pacifier and a brain tumor diminished and it must be because of the cannabis.. Jenny McCarthy cries about vaccines.. and modern medicine had to have extensive studies showing that kangaroo care (a cheaper--aka free--, more viable alternative to incubators) beat incubators and analgesia when it came to preterm infants becoming more viable.

There's this wonderful aspect of medicine where it is discovering new things, and trying things out.. and merging old world ideas with new world concepts.

Yet, there are plenty of people that would say they get all of their medicine from eating organic food. That they eat vegan and that cures them of all their ailments. There's this notion from these websites that circulate frequently that doctors are the 'bad guys', as if they go through 12 years of school to put up with grumpy, unappreciative people because they're going to make a fortune off of these people, or as if one bad doctor makes the whole lot of them quacks.

I had a girl the other day talk about how terrible aluminum is for you. When I told her if she's ever taken even one anti-headache medicine even as a baby that she's already had more aluminum in her system than using deodorant for a year will ever cause she thinks I'm going ballistic. I told her vegetables don't "detox" the body like that--aluminum stays forever pretty much.

I find the idea inspiring for an individual--but dangerous for the masses. No one is going to get hurt thinking their deodorant is bad for them. They just aren't. It doesn't hurt anything. But then when they're told they need this hypertension medicine otherwise their heart will fail, and they think it's poison because someone told them there's aluminium in all modern medicines... non-compliance leads to worse issues. There are people using people's terrible cancer stories to push their agenda. Raw vegan eaters saying that cancer can be cured with diet alone... and talking online about how sad they felt for cancer deaths when they could have just eaten more bananas.

Doctors have preached for a long, long time now that sleep, water, exercise, a wholesome diet, and emotional support are all important approaches to health. But clearly they aren't enough.. and they cannot make grown people do any of those things. So they do what they CAN for those people--and frequently that means more medicine. It's not like they're the life police. And that somehow has gotten them a terrible rep the past few years. At the VA they were delighted that I didn't want surgery right away, and instead picked a more rigorous and annoying but less invasive physical therapy option. There are breakthroughs in modern medicine that can only be accounted for with things like medicines and vaccines, though, and the two things I think can work in great order with one another... if people didn't make it such an us vs them thing.

This isn't even counting the fact that I feel all of this detox mumbo-jumbo is just people trying to make bucks off expensive over priced organic food and off of people that want to believe there's a new, cool way of doing things based on ancestors and some Native American rawhide scroll or something.

And there's vague things as well that we don't really know the effects of... people believe x is poisonous and hormone-acting, and it might very well be true.. antibiotics are creating superbugs, and that's true as well.. so there's pushes in the right direction for safer food as a result of people who walk with these 'farmacy' ideals.

Has anyone else noticed this trend lately? Have you gotten caught up in the mix of it all? For those that believe in detoxing.. is it a purely spiritual thing, or do you believe there is evidence for it physiologically? I don't mean you switched from processed food to whole foods and got better.. I mean you stopped all aluminum coming into your body and you noticed that you no longer have headaches, nausea, etc. etc. Or you put a chlorine filter in your shower and started drinking 'alkalizing water' and now your foot fungus is gone. That sort of thing. Do you believe the placebo affect had any power in this?

Anyone want to vent about their stupid, but sweet friend that believes x or y, or brags about how a vaccine has never touched them and they're super healthy because kale is the best thing since dinosaurs can post as well.
    OMG, really?!? This post is really fucked up.
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

I'll see if I can restrain myself and not post here. It might turn into a... problem.
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

What is interesting in Australia at the moment is that we are moving back to evidence based medicine.

We are now refusing to fund medicines or practices that show no evidence of efficacy.

In context I think this is part of the move back to a society based on authority rather than a society based on feeling good.

Better to do good now, we think, than feeling good.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Senior Member Array
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFp Fi

I almost bought into the detoxification business (Spirulina, Chlorella, Niacin, Apple Cider Vinegar, Alkaline Diet, Veganism, etc.)... I stopped researching stuff like this because I realized I would never be able to afford it. At the time my intentions were to awaken my Third Eye (the pineal gland) and gain more control over my life through strict dieting but I never really got far enough... as far as I know it could still be plausible.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast