User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

4 10.26%
First 223031323334 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Americans are breathtakingly inactive. The French are not.

Edited to add- the Japanese also have far lower incidence of obesity, but they eat tons of rice and noodles. They also walk a few thousand steps a day more than Americans, on average.
    The French also eat smaller portions and more whole foods, both the Japanese and French eat smaller amounts of meat compared to the grains and vegetables on their plate (where do people think the plate model percentages come from? ) ...and yes the Japanese eat a ton of rice, not necessarily a ton of wheat, and even when they do eat wheat it's like whole grain buckwheat noodles, not white bread with high fructose corn syrup.

Those things make a difference, HFCS caused lab rats at Princeton to gain four times as much weight as sugar and water, and corn in various forms is pushed on Americans, not just via HFCS, though it's a major problem, as is refined sugar and super sizing meat and fast foods, even an English friend of mine thought it was absurd, and they are right behind American people in obesity because of their fatty bland meat heavy diet.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    There are books about the suppression of Vitamin C (2 botched clinical trials by the Mayo Clinic), 1 botched trial of laetrile (also by the Mayo Clinic and scientific fraud by Sloan Kettering), and the NCI's botched clinical trial of antineoplastons.
    Writing books isn't the same as suppressing a movement. Have you even walked into a pharmacy lately? Walmart? CVS? The flu/cold area is riddled with alternative medicine. Every shelf has it. Emetrol, elderberry syrup, saline spray (arguably both modern medicine and hippy medicine), vitamins, seltzers, and cough drops with flower extracts. No one is suppressing Vitamin C. Orange juice when you're sick has been a staple in America as far as I can ever remember growing up. It's such a well known thing it's up there with apples being doctor-vanquishers.

So why are the French not as fat as Americans and Australians? I don't think American children and the public have been properly educated on nutrition. Quite the opposite ---the government has steered Americans away from meat (sat'd fats and cholesterol) and towards fattening carbs.
    The government doesn't steer people's nutrition. It tries, sure. But Americans have been this way for a while. The credit card attitude is very American. If you just do a google search for ridiculous ways people tried to get rid of fat back in the good ole black and white days, you'll see people were always interested in dumbing down nutrition. The 'recipes' of Amish days and pies and stuff aren't exactly healthy at all. It never was. Tons of grains and such. They were just a pain in the dick to prepare. Now a days it isn't so hard to make--because someone else and machines make it for you. And we've always had advertisements for all sorts of bad-for-us stuff. We've bought into things without researching it. It's always always always been this way in America. It isn't a new trait.

France walks EVERYWHERE. I was just there. It's STUPID expensive to even be able to drive, more less own a car. Everyone walks and bikes. Japan too. 10,000 steps is a huuuge movement right now for nutrition because of the Japanese.

"We went wrong by allowing the American Medical Association and the United States Department of Agriculture to say: 'You've got to go on a low-fat diet.' They failed to take into account that when people do that, they increase their carbohydrates."
    Any time someone blames a single thing for the causes of obesity, people should be wary. It's a multi-faceted thing, and complex to understand even if you're educated in the subject. People don't want to hear that though. Americans don't want to read a 15,000 page essay (and that's truly attempting to dumb it down here with those words) on ONE tiny aspect of nutrition. Most of us read at an 8th grade level.

Yes, the Japanese eat lots of rice and ramen (carbs), but not compared to Americans (just a hunch).
    .... Are you seriously saying the Japanese don't eat as much rice as Americans? First, rice is gluten free. They eat less BREAD than us, yes. But they eat rice on the daily. Like a song on repeat. Rice and insertanythinghere. Noodles not so much, but even in Japan western-like mentalities and increased convenience have increased the waistbands there. Japan isn't immune to this menality.. advertisements, and sexy-appealing-pre-made foods get to humans in general. No one is safe from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    The French also eat smaller portions and more whole foods, both the Japanese and French eat smaller amounts of meat compared to the grains and vegetables on their plate (where do people think the plate model percentages come from? ) ...and yes the Japanese eat a ton of rice, not necessarily a ton of wheat, and even when they do eat wheat it's like whole grain buckwheat noodles, not white bread with high fructose corn syrup.
    Yup.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

I don't see it as an either/or, but a rather both/and situation. Not all of "Western" medicine is Big Pharma, insurance companies, or hack doctors having a Brave New World moment in history. Nor is all of "Eastern" medicine the realm of hippies, new agers, or quack doctors having a pebble moment in the ocean of eternal enlightenment. Both "sides" do have much to account for in terms of their pockets (large and small) of extremism.

When I see some anti-vaccine types consider "Western" medicine to be evil conspirators in the shadows, I wonder if they would bring their young child to a distant foreign country in the East without getting vaccinated. When I see some anti-natural remedy types consider it "Eastern" or "hippie" to treat oneself with St. John's Wort, locally produced honey, or a nasal rinse with a Neti pot, I wonder what 20th century medical textbook common sense is hiding under.

When we accept the differences between causes, correlations, symptoms, and cures- well I think we might just get somewhere important. Until then, all I see is a turf war for dominance that completely misses the point of medicine: the health and life of individual human beings.

I thank God for doctors and "Western" medicine, and thank God for the "East" not allowing us to forget that humans are more than a material-biological object. For all the extremists on both sides, they will realize one day that neither "side" has the cure for what gets us all: death.

Now if only we could "cure" that societal problem called lack of individual self-discipline and responsibility. Maybe then we wouldn't look in all the wrong places for all the answers to why we are ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Americans are breathtakingly inactive. The French are not.

Edited to add- the Japanese also have far lower incidence of obesity, but they eat tons of rice and noodles. They also walk a few thousand steps a day more than Americans, on average.
    Sugar. Americans are full of a toxin called sugar.

Good documentary: Fed Up (2014) - IMDb

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei
    Writing books isn't the same as suppressing a movement.
    Dr. Burzynski is not allowed to sell his antineoplastons across state lines and Vitamin C is rarely used to treat cancer. Basically, alternative treatments are the method of last resort in treating cancer when they should be used before any chemo or radiation.

The government doesn't steer people's nutrition. It tries, sure. But Americans have been this way for a while
    Don't you think establishment sources have steered people away from cholesterol and saturated fats?

France walks EVERYWHERE. I was just there. It's STUPID expensive to even be able to drive, more less own a car. Everyone walks and bikes. Japan too. 10,000 steps is a huuuge movement right now for nutrition because of the Japanese.
    You only burn 100 calories per 2500 steps. That's not even 1 candy bar. Sure it helps, but the problem with Americans is BOTH too much carbs and not enough exercise.

.... Are you seriously saying the Japanese don't eat as much rice as Americans?
    No. I was referring to total carbs. Americans consume 200 lbs each year; I doubt the Japanese eat as much.
    Vi Cit Tecum.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Dr. Burzynski is not allowed to sell his antineoplastons across state lines and Vitamin C is rarely used to treat cancer. Basically, alternative treatments are the method of last resort in treating cancer when they should be used before any chemo or radiation.
    Your point here is highly debatable. Alternative medicine for a long long time was the ONLY way to treat cancer. We didn't see stark advances in regression until chemo and radiation. It isn't the only way, sure, but telling people Vitamin C in high doses is just as effective as chemo for their cancer is completely misleading and the evidence backs that up.

Even the people that "cured" their cancers with holistic means usually don't bother to emphasize that they used western medicinal properties as their MAIN cure. Surgery in some cancers on its own shows high percentage cure rates. So they'll say they removed the tumor, and then did holistic medicine. Meaning the data is garbage. Holistic medicine could have helped.. but definitely didn't do anything for the bulk of curing cancer. Even the people trying to get others to cure cancer with alternative medicine aren't gambling their own lives on it. That, to me, speaks volumes, and I've already linked about the subject here before.

Don't you think establishment sources have steered people away from cholesterol and saturated fats?
    Oh they certainly have. It's one of the great things hippies are doing right now--showing people fats aren't the bad guys, that real food is a good thing even if it's high calorie and high fat. The kind of fat matters. The no-fat and fat-free diet thing was HUGE in the 90s, and remnants of it remain heavily in place.

But the root of my question is: Why did it become popular? Because advertising, marketing, and quick-fix schemes that don't fix anything.

Detox diets are the new fad now.. And guess what is at the core of juicing? No Fats. Low protein. Just real fruits and vegetables and nothing else for 2 days and boom you're great. There's been mixed research and consensus on whether fasting helps or hurts the body, and in the end thoughtful fasting with a knowledge basis doesn't hurt anymore than eating regularly. What IS very similar between the fat-free devil's food cakes and $9 16oz bottles of juice is: they're fat free, they're advertised as 'kick starting' weight loss, and they range from 2 days to 14 days. It's still the same concept on either side of the coin. Quick fixes to stop feeling guilty for the sins of enjoying a cheeseburger.

You only burn 100 calories per 2500 steps. That's not even 1 candy bar. Sure it helps, but the problem with Americans is BOTH too much carbs and not enough exercise.
    The French eat carbs with every single meal. How is bread NOT a french staple? You can't throw a dead cat without hitting a bread shop, I was there. They serve it to you no matter what kind of restaurant you walk into. The french have healthier recipes, no denying that, but carbs aren't the issue alone. Burning carbs isn't the only reason, nor should it be the sole reason, for walking. Walking is what people were made to do.. the less we do it, the more our body suffers. Too many studies have shown sedentary lifestyles have far more adverse effects than what kind of diet you eat. And they manifest quicker.

It's why NASA is paying $170 a day + $1200 a week for bed-studies for astronauts.. paying people to lay in bed and not get up for 70 days and then rehabilitating them. People aren't made to sit still. So even with the vastly different variety of lifestyles and diets between the French and the Japanese, walking is a very clear common denominator.

No. I was referring to total carbs. Americans consume 200 lbs each year; I doubt the Japanese eat as much.
    I'd guess you wrong. Their top 5 staples for traditional diet: Rice, green tea, vegetables, fruits, and fish. Three of those 5 are carbs. Vegetables and fruits are carbs as well.. the carbs aren't the evil, the KIND of carbs I will give you that but saying the Japanese eat less carbs than Americans I'll still say no to that. Rice with every meal = a fuck ton of carbs.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Your point here is highly debatable. Alternative medicine for a long long time was the ONLY way to treat cancer. We didn't see stark advances in regression until chemo and radiation. It isn't the only way, sure, but telling people Vitamin C in high doses is just as effective as chemo for their cancer is completely misleading and the evidence backs that up.

Even the people that "cured" their cancers with holistic means usually don't bother to emphasize that they used western medicinal properties as their MAIN cure. Surgery in some cancers on its own shows high percentage cure rates. So they'll say they removed the tumor, and then did holistic medicine. Meaning the data is garbage. Holistic medicine could have helped.. but definitely didn't do anything for the bulk of curing cancer. Even the people trying to get others to cure cancer with alternative medicine aren't gambling their own lives on it. That, to me, speaks volumes, and I've already linked about the subject here before.

Oh they certainly have. It's one of the great things hippies are doing right now--showing people fats aren't the bad guys, that real food is a good thing even if it's high calorie and high fat. The kind of fat matters. The no-fat and fat-free diet thing was HUGE in the 90s, and remnants of it remain heavily in place.

But the root of my question is: Why did it become popular? Because advertising, marketing, and quick-fix schemes that don't fix anything.

Detox diets are the new fad now.. And guess what is at the core of juicing? No Fats. Low protein. Just real fruits and vegetables and nothing else for 2 days and boom you're great. There's been mixed research and consensus on whether fasting helps or hurts the body, and in the end thoughtful fasting with a knowledge basis doesn't hurt anymore than eating regularly. What IS very similar between the fat-free devil's food cakes and $9 16oz bottles of juice is: they're fat free, they're advertised as 'kick starting' weight loss, and they range from 2 days to 14 days. It's still the same concept on either side of the coin. Quick fixes to stop feeling guilty for the sins of enjoying a cheeseburger.

The French eat carbs with every single meal. How is bread NOT a french staple? You can't throw a dead cat without hitting a bread shop, I was there. They serve it to you no matter what kind of restaurant you walk into. The french have healthier recipes, no denying that, but carbs aren't the issue alone. Burning carbs isn't the only reason, nor should it be the sole reason, for walking. Walking is what people were made to do.. the less we do it, the more our body suffers. Too many studies have shown sedentary lifestyles have far more adverse effects than what kind of diet you eat. And they manifest quicker.

It's why NASA is paying $170 a day + $1200 a week for bed-studies for astronauts.. paying people to lay in bed and not get up for 70 days and then rehabilitating them. People aren't made to sit still. So even with the vastly different variety of lifestyles and diets between the French and the Japanese, walking is a very clear common denominator.

I'd guess you wrong. Their top 5 staples for traditional diet: Rice, green tea, vegetables, fruits, and fish. Three of those 5 are carbs. Vegetables and fruits are carbs as well.. the carbs aren't the evil, the KIND of carbs I will give you that but saying the Japanese eat less carbs than Americans I'll still say no to that. Rice with every meal = a fuck ton of carbs.
    didn't i post an article in here pretty much saying the same thing? I'm legit asking
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    didn't i post an article in here pretty much saying the same thing? I'm legit asking
    Oh dear I don't remember.. you might have started that side of the thread actually.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Oh dear I don't remember.. you might have started that side of the thread actually.
    oh me either, cuz i thought i had but i was like maybe only i thought about it but didn't.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

Bump!

New York Attorney General Targets Supplements at Major Retailers

The New York State attorney general’s office accused four major retailers on Monday of selling fraudulent and potentially dangerous herbal supplements and demanded that they remove the products from their shelves.

The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

The investigation came as a welcome surprise to health experts who have long complained about the quality and safety of dietary supplements, which are exempt from the strict regulatory oversight applied to prescription drugs.

The Food and Drug Administration has targeted individual supplements found to contain dangerous ingredients. But the announcement Monday was the first time that a law enforcement agency had threatened the biggest retail and drugstore chains with legal action for selling what it said were deliberately misleading herbal products.

Among the attorney general’s findings was a popular store brand of ginseng pills at Walgreens, promoted for “physical endurance and vitality,” that contained only powdered garlic and rice. At Walmart, the authorities found that its ginkgo biloba, a Chinese plant promoted as a memory enhancer, contained little more than powdered radish, houseplants and wheat — despite a claim on the label that the product was wheat- and gluten-free.

Three out of six herbal products at Target — ginkgo biloba, St. John’s wort and valerian root, a sleep aid — tested negative for the herbs on their labels. But they did contain powdered rice, beans, peas and wild carrots. And at GNC, the agency said, it found pills with unlisted ingredients used as fillers, like powdered legumes, the class of plants that includes peanuts and soybeans, a hazard for people with allergies.

The attorney general sent the four retailers cease-and-desist letters on Monday and demanded that they explain what procedures they use to verify the ingredients in their supplements.

Colour me unsurprised...
    Likes kyuuei, SD45T-2 liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink: