User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

4 10.26%
First 172526272829 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Or this gem.
    The Environmentally Friendly Potato Environmentalists Can'''t Love | Big Think | Risk: Reason and Reality

I'm all for labeling non gmo foods. But labeling gmo foods? Why? It's easier to label the ones the people who want the labels care about.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Ivy, prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Or this gem.
    The Environmentally Friendly Potato Environmentalists Can'''t Love | Big Think | Risk: Reason and Reality

I'm all for labeling non gmo foods. But labeling gmo foods? Why? It's easier to label the ones the people who want the labels care about.
    think about about 75% of the world's population loves label's they probably be over the moon if you gave them a label maker as a present. Hell, they've created new sexuality preference. what's the one where you're only attracted to smart people? yeah you're a straight/gay/bi person that prefers sleeping with intelligent people. the end. no need for 5400 labels on it.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've heard it said that GMO is the left's climate change. Sure seems that way.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've heard it said that GMO is the left's climate change. Sure seems that way.
    Don't get me wrong, Monsanto is a huge greed beast of epic proportions or whatever, but I think GMOs got a terrible rep because it's associated with greedy assholes more-so than being super destructive.

And the thing about labeling GMO foods is, it doesn't really benefit the people that don't philosophically care about GMOs in their food, and the ones that DO care wouldn't trust anything with a GMO label next to it. They're far more likely to reach for a non-gmo whole foods can than a GMO anything. So why even bother? They know if it doesn't say Non-GMO it's bad for them. So why not keep the system like it is? Giving people who care the labels they need? Why bother when you know they aren't more likely to reach for anything without a non-gmo label already?

And that's not even getting into a philosophical debate on what you consider messing with genetics, because technically carrots, and potatoes, and tomatoes, and all of that are waaaaaaay different than they were in medieval times.

Carrots Used to Be Purple Before the 17th Century

The fear mongering just ends up getting tiring.
    A great video. OBVIOUSLY it's VERY bias, and not an objective scientific investigation, so no hippies getting their panties in a wad.

Also, I like how sneaky these anti-GMO people are. "Oh, they like this show called Bullshit! I want them to see the REAL bullshit that is GMO, so I'm going to label my Religious-driven material as the show.hahhahaha. That'll teach them. And I'll unsuspectingly educate them on the REAL danger. I'll trick them into the truth!"

Random facts about carrots from the site I linked earlier that are super cool:

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'll go ahead and shove these in here too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A lot of that Monsanto stuff is mythology, I think. I used to be on the "Monsanto sucks" train too but it didn't really stand up once I started researching it in unbiased sources. The whole "suing farmers for cross-pollination" thing is way overblown- the most famous case of this, the farmer was actually found to be growing a crop of almost 100% Roundup Ready plants. That doesn't happen by accident.

Can We Trust Monsanto with Our Food? - Scientific American
    Top Five Myths Of Genetically Modified Seeds, Busted : The Salt : NPR

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    A lot of that Monsanto stuff is mythology, I think. I used to be on the "Monsanto sucks" train too but it didn't really stand up once I started researching it in unbiased sources. The whole "suing farmers for cross-pollination" thing is way overblown- the most famous case of this, the farmer was actually found to be growing a crop of almost 100% Roundup Ready plants. That doesn't happen by accident.

Can We Trust Monsanto with Our Food? - Scientific American
    Top Five Myths Of Genetically Modified Seeds, Busted : The Salt : NPR
    It isn't the farmer thing, or the GMO thing that I dislike Monsanto for.. I have a particular aversion to anything that played a part in making substances like agent orange. On top of that, they profit loads and loads, and put a lot of zero into making an image for the American people. They pretty much asked for their evil crown of thorns with that. They took the "we've got science on our side, so meh what those uneducated people think." but it's those uneducated people you need to convince more than anything.

People already hate big corporations. For various, and sometimes valid, reasons.

A LOT of the issues, I feel, stemming from GMO fear mongering, and unnecessarily causing a lot of hoopla are stemming from Monsanto being lazy assholes using their money for profit, gains, and developing more. Which is fine as a business model--but as a large company trying to make food available to all people? You need an image. Instead of taking time to not FIGHT legislation alone, they needed to promote the reasons behind the fight more. They can do all good things the rest of ever, and clean up all the ocean spills (they probably should do that anyways and fund that kids invention or something) and no one would care by this point. They've done a lot of self-defeating with all of this. They're still growing, they've taken in more than enough revenue, with that sort of money I could turn myself into the second coming of Mother Teresa. They should shine real light in an informed, but digestible way, that creates not such an us-vs-them image. Turn the fear mongers into the crazy religious fanatics they tend to be. They stayed in their lairs, and continued their schemes, and made incredible products--and then heavily helped label those products as evil by simply not showing off that they're good and leaving that to literally anyone else.

So now we have non-GMO people going bananas and trying to scare everyone into thinking they're feeding their kids poison because they can't afford non-GMO food because to them it's not an ideal choice. I find very few non-GMO people don't 100% swear off EVERY SINGLE thing that's GMO.. but they'll still make outlandish claims about GMOs. If something was poisonous, I think those guys would be more dedicated to swearing it off, and having non-GMO food drives for poor people who don't have money for it and all that mess.... But the privilege of being able to eat what you want is a whole other story...

The Post-GMO Economy - Modern Farmer

Bloom says, noting that seed dealers work on commission. DuPont Pioneer, for example, offers him a non-GMO corn for $180 a bag, while Wyffels Hybrids sold the same for $115 a bag last year.

Why does Pioneer charge so much? Because it doesn’t want lower-priced conventional seed to lure customers away from GMOs. Bloom says a company dealer confessed: “We don’t want our farmers to buy it.”
    They aren't the GMO assholes people make them out to be, but denying they are a corporation and some tom fuckery is going to happen isn't really the right call either.

When you don't leave the decision up to farmers, and the people, everyone loses. Put the facts out there, the pros and cons, let the farmers, buyers, etc. decide for themselves. I could see legislation saying, "Hey, if you're considered a health-food-store you need to label things that are non-GMO so people can tell." I don't see walmart having to do that, that isn't really their demographic. But when companies like Monsanto throw money like rice at a wedding trying to stop ALL labeling, instead of trying to tweak the idea back into, it just doesn't look good. And I get why they're trying to stop it. I do. They wanna make money, and it's unnecessary legislation to appease the masses. But they should have been appeasing the masses in other ways long ago.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I still have questions on the GMO debate, and frankly I find it silly that people are so offended by non GMO or organic campaigns, but never once questioned the aggression of dairy campaigns or beef and pork campaigns...why? Just because you grew up with it? People need to question their own biases, not just the bias of thine enemy. It bears pointing out too that GMO should upset fundamentalist Christians just as much as homosexuality, because in Leviticus it warns against cross breeding crops and animals right next to frowning on gays. Something to ponder, because hey the Jews actually were right about pork.

Anyhoo, my last contribution to this thread is to recommend you take an unbiased look at two recent documentaries: the best one is Forks Over Knives, but Milk? is a pretty unbiased comprehensive look at all sides.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I still have questions on the GMO debate, and frankly I find it silly that people are so offended by non GMO or organic campaigns, but never once questioned the aggression of dairy campaigns or beef and pork campaigns...why? Just because you grew up with it? People need to question their own biases, not just the bias of thine enemy. It bears pointing out too that GMO should upset fundamentalist Christians just as much as homosexuality, because in Leviticus it warns against cross breeding crops and animals right next to frowning on gays. Something to ponder, because hey the Jews actually were right about pork.

Anyhoo, my last contribution to this thread is to recommend you take an unbiased look at two recent documentaries: the best one is Forks Over Knives, but Milk? is a pretty unbiased comprehensive look at all sides.
    I think the aggressiveness of the non-GMO campaigns are what really do it for me. I honestly don't care--I like both styles honestly, I think we need that dynamic because it creates variety in the marketplace and there's definitely room for both cowboys here. But the messages are usually really, really dark. It isn't, "Hey, non-GMO is great. The seeds are cheaper for farmers, you know what you're getting. Return to your roots. *rainbow*" It's more like "Did you know you're eating pretty much evil poison? Yeah. You are. Cut that shit out. Everytime you eat a GMO carrot baby kittens get one of their eyes poked out. And they only have two.. Well, one now, asshole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvecCrSZYtM

First milk commercial that came up for me. Positive message, outlandish, as commercials tend to go, standard old message: milk will make you strong so drink up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuUit86ILaU

Had trouble even finding a commercial, but most of the videos that showed up were pretty much this. "Lets show you how evil this shit is, and how much of an uneducated asshole you've been to think that squirrels are smarter than you are. Stop being such a moron and killing yourself and your family with your so-called food." When you fear monger, people either panic, or think you're full of it and ignore you because the message is offensive instead of uplifting. And that posh, uppity attitude that comes with the message is why people are turned off to it. No one really gives a shit if don't like milk. People REALLY care if you're for GMO products though.

On to what I came here to post about. The articles are a little old, but I just remembered them from a while back via a facebook redate (I dunno what to call those.. updates that are actually old stuff hashed up as if it's new?) posted today.

Vegan Nursing Mom's Baby Dies From Malnutrition | Parenting

Basically: The mom was fully vegan, and was vitamin deficient, and instead of taking caution of her baby's low birth weight (which is overwhelmingly a determinant of if your baby is doing well health wise and will continue to be the gold standard for if your baby is developing well or not) long before it was an issue, by the time she called for help the baby had passed away. Her vegan diet didn't provide her body the nutrients it needed because she was probably eating it wrong, and thus didn't provide any nutrient for the baby to survive either..

Vegan Mom Sarah Markham Faces Criminal Charges Over Underweight Baby

As much as I hate the huffington post, there's a hundred websites with this everywhere anyways. Basically the mother was uncooperative, supposedly gave her baby soy formula (but who knows in actuality), and used the I'm vegan card to play off her guilt as being neglectful as a mother. The media's super spinning this as a vegan vs non thing, because that's the card she's playing for her innocence, but the truth is she didn't follow doctor orders and she could have requested vegan-friendly food for her child at the hospital. Hospitals have the means to do that stuff. The case was really about whether she was neglectful of her son or not.

Vegan mom Sarah Markham regains custody of son Caleb | Daily Mail Online

The judge decided no, but losing 10% of body mass is really really bad for a kid. Saying, "fuck you doctor, you're a quack, I know what's best for my baby" without evidence that the doctor's just being an asshole is just the wrong answer. And this hippy religious stuff really irks me. That kid might not have been hurt right then or anything, but he certainly needed medical attention, and clearly the doctors were in the right to report that the child was not being treated to CPS. The mother's dad is all, 'Oh, the doctor just didn't like her challenging him.' No, clearly the kid was dehydrated and that's a critical amount of weight loss to pay attention to.. and all the doc could see was a mom that said, "yeah, I know you told me he needs medical attention, but I don't care." He was right to make the call even if the case was dismissed. Better safe than sorry.

No, the court isn't going to just make a kid disappear because the mom is a vegan, but the clear stipulation that she needed to collaborate with a nutritionist certainly shows she didn't know how to use her vegan diet appropriately with her child.

It takes a lot of education actually and effort to balance nutrients in a vegan diet for an infant. It's not an easy task. People think if you just eat enough fruits and vegetables you'll be free of all the bad things in health. Everything is balance. You take away an entire variety of food in your diet, you need to try extra hard to balance of the other weights on the scale again. The more options you take away, the more balancing acts you need to perform.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Girl Can't Be Forced to Have Chemo, Court Rules | abc13.com

Really annoying story. I get it, it's all super religious or whatever. But when religions and beliefs are writing death sentences for children it's really fucking annoying.

And on top of that, stopping chemo abruptly means they wiped out some--but then have an opportunity for more stubborn cells of the cancer to survive and proliferate. And clearly they weren't against the idea of chemo originally, they DID it at first, so it isn't a stark Jehova's Witness 'Nope, that's clearly here in the rules' situation. Ridic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :hi:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: