User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

4 10.26%
First 13212223242533 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Personal complaint:

FB user: Omg look at this shit!

Please don't top your sweet potatoes with these! Don't you think it's kinda odd that Kraft has to use blue artificial food dye to make WHITE marshmallows?

Me: Actually, blue is used to make white all the time. I've used bluing since I was a kid to make white whites without laundry bleach because it's way cheaper.

FB user: I can see how that makes sense to you.
    I like things that are not altered from their original form. Some people like chemicals in their food. I don't.

Me: Oh uh... I'm not fighting food semantics with you, we have very different opinions on that, just saying blue makes sense especially with things that are yellowed. (Whites tend to yellow.)

FB user: Blue and yellow make green.

... Wtf?!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Hard, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I would never make an argument for a raw food diet, and yes certain groups benefit from slightly different diets, probably for evolutionary reasons, not just the ability to digest milk but other things as well (for example, alcoholics can't control their alcohol consumption as easily as people who are not genetically pre disposed to alcoholism). I am referring to recent studies on dairy products and already stated that my intent is not to "convert" but to challenge the widely held (and commercially endorsed) American notion that milk is a wonder elixir. The fact that it produces mucus and can aggravate acne isn't philosophical, and neither are the most recent medical findings as of 2014...philosophy is avoiding milk for animal rights or religious or environmental reasons.

The Japanese have a better diet than we do, as do Mediterranean people who consume dairy but in MUCH SMALLER quantities. Those are two of the best cultural diets found on earth for overall health and longevity.

Paleos as well as vegans cut out dairy, as do some other people who still consume meat or eggs.
    They also have their issues too--mainly, that Japanese people (women particularly though) have TONS of bone issues in later life, and osteoporosis is a major thing being screened constantly in the asian community. That's nearly directly contributed to a low dairy diet without adequate supplementation. I've just spent all semester working with the chinese community center, And I had no idea it was a problem. But it is. Constipation and GI issues, herbal remedies mixing with modern medicines, and bone density issues were the three top complaints. Hardly no one had high blood sugar issues, which makes sense, but the bone aspect was clearly the biggest thing people were concerned about. People lined up out the door for that screening. No one diet is perfect in their approach.

I love the Japanese diet, I eat it weekly at least, and mediterranean food whenever I get a chance, I'm not so great at cooking that way. But even though they're great diets and have noted benefits, it doesn't mean the Americans are totally off base with nothing to offer. Demonizing American food lately is somehow equivalent to demonizing fast food.. Fast food is a modern phenomenon and has little relations to what Americans ate once and eat now on a daily basis.

Milk definitely creates mucus, that's well documented, but if you aren't currently suffering a cold, or respiratory distress of some sort, it really doesn't bother. I quit milk for 2 years, and my skin didn't clear, and my allergies didn't go away. Hormones and what time of the month it is had such a bigger influence on my acne. Saying "This could cause this" doesn't mean it's automatically to be avoided. Acne and mucus can also be easily alleviated with good hygiene (for the most part, acne is a whole other beast) and adequate hydration. So, if you hydrate and treat acne either way, why does milk sound like a bad thing? It doesn't. At least not to like a bazillion people out there.

Everyone has their elixirs. For me it's orange juice, pho vietnamese soup, saline, and hydrogen peroxide as a gargle. I think those things are magical for colds, and they work for me every time. They aren't science.. but they don't have to be really for me. Everything is a cost benefit ratio. I'd much rather drink milk than not. I'd much rather cook food than eat it raw. Yet, there are people who'd disagree with me all over the place. I don't mind, and their valid. Just no more valid than I am with my pho soup.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei
    Colds don't need to be cured, they go away in such a ridiculously short amount of time, and no medicine you post is going to cure colds and kill the virus because it doesn't exist--in natural or modern medicine.
    Colds last 7 to 10 days and many people, especially parents with little kids, get multiple colds each year. If you aren't willing to give Vitamin C a try, I don't see how you can say that it doesn't kill the virus. That's an opinion. I have no problem with opinions, but I'd prefer opinions from those who did give Vitamin C a try (1 gram per hour for the 1st two days of the cold).

In this thread, it appears that I'm the only one who did try the massive dose of Vitamin C; therefore, my opinion > anyone elses .
    Vi Cit Tecum.
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Colds last 7 to 10 days and many people, especially parents with little kids, get multiple colds each year. If you aren't willing to give Vitamin C a try, I don't see how you can say that it doesn't kill the virus. That's an opinion. I have no problem with opinions, but I'd prefer opinions from those who did give Vitamin C a try (1 gram per hour for the 1st two days of the cold).

In this thread, it appears that I'm the only one who did try the massive dose of Vitamin C; therefore, my opinion > anyone elses .
    Can I just add the caveat that people might want to check with a medical professional to make sure that they don't have any conditions or other medications that might make this a bad idea before going through with it? I don't have any problem with people trying it - I have a couple of friends I know swear by it - but I think it'd be wise to double-check that there aren't any contraindications before trying it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei
    Other than that, you're reaching for beans if you think anyone's found magic pills to kill a virus.
    I don't mean to pick on you, but it's been proven that ascorbic acid has anti-viral properties.

Antiviral effects of ascorbic and dehydroascorbic acids in vitro.

In the present study, ascorbic acid weakly inhibited the multiplication of viruses of three different families: herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), influenza virus type A and poliovirus type 1.
    Suppression of human immunodeficiency virus replication by ascorbate in chronically and acutely infected cells.

We have studied the action of ascorbate (vitamin C) on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1), the etiological agent clinically associated with AIDS. We report the suppression of virus production and cell fusion in HIV-infected T-lymphocytic cell lines grown in the presence of nontoxic concentrations of ascorbate.
    Antiviral and Immunomodulatory Activities of Ascorbic Acid

Over the years, it has become well recognized that ascorbate can bolster the natural defense mechanisms of the host and provide protection not only against infectious disease, but also against cancer and other chronic degenerative diseases. The functions involved in ascorbate’s enhancement of host resistance to disease include its biosynthetic (hy-droxylating), antioxidant, and immunostimulatory activities. In addition, ascorbate exerts a direct antiviral action that may confer specific protection against viral disease. The vitamin has been found to inactivate a wide spectrum of viruses as well as suppress viral replication abd expression in infected cell. In this article we review the antiviral and immunotimulatory effects of ascorbate and their relevance to control of acute and chronic viral infections. Detailed discussion of thr biosynthetic activities of ascorbate has been presented in a review by England and Seifter (1986). The antinoxidant function of ascorbate has been reviewed recently by Bendich (1988)
    Vi Cit Tecum.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by skylights
    Can I just add the caveat that people might want to check with a medical professional to make sure that they don't have any conditions or other medications that might make this a bad idea before going through with it? I don't have any problem with people trying it - I have a couple of friends I know swear by it - but I think it'd be wise to double-check that there aren't any contraindications before trying it.
    The only issues with vitamin C involve intravenous administration of high doses in patients with large tumors. The sudden introduction of ascorbate would cause necrosis of the tumor which may pose a problem in some patients. This was Linus Pauling's only admonition concerning vitamin C. To date, there has not been a single death from the use of vitamin C in any concentration.

Oops, Pauling also warned about stopping massive doses of vitamin C suddenly.
    Vi Cit Tecum.
    Likes skylights liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    I agree with kyuuei about the risks of waiting for natural remedies to kick in for conditions like high BP. I have that, and I am changing my lifestyle to treat it. I do use a salt substitute of potassium but it's still high.
    The solution is to lower sodium and raise the potassium levels. Assuming you don't have some underlying kidney or liver issues, that should do the trick. Your target should be a 1:4 ratio of sodium to potassium. Using a salt substitute won't work if you eat out and consume salty foods or snacks.

The evidence for a low sodium to potassium ratio to control hypertension is pretty overwhelming. Indigenous people around the globe who haven't adopted the modern diet don't get hypertension or strokes or diabetes. The Aita (Solomon Islands), Australian aborigines, Botswana natives, Carajas Indians (Brazil), Cuna Indians (Panama), Eskimos (Greenland), Kenyan natives, Ugandan natives, Tarahumara Indians (Northern Mexico), and the Yanomamo Indians (Brazil) all have less than 1% hypertension. I have references for each population if you are interested.

Other evidence:

The residents of Evans County, Georgia consume a diet with a 2.56 sodium: 1 potassium ratio and they have 27% hypertension in the population.

By contrast:

Vegetarians in Tel Aviv consume a diet with a 0.71 sodium: 1 potassium ratio and they have 2% hypertension.
    The Yanomamo Indians consume a diet with a 0.05 sodium: 1 potassium ratio and they have less than 1% hypertension.
    Vi Cit Tecum.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@Ivy, or you could just listen to your doctor and keep fighting the good fight.. because it sounds like you're really on the right track and have plenty of motivation to have a healthy lifestyle that fits your needs down the road.

Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

She is on the right track and here is more motivation to lower sodium and increase potassium:

High K diets markedly reduce atherosclerotic cholesterol ester deposition in aortas of rats with hypercholesterolemia and hypertension.

Thus high K reduced cholesterol ester deposits by 64% (P less than .0003), even though blood pressure and cholesterol levels were quite similar in the two groups. Both high cholesterol and high BP injure endothelial cells and increase invasion of macrophages and vascular smooth muscle cells into the intima and increase endothelial permeability to proteins. With high plasma cholesterol, these processes lead to atherosclerosis with cholesterol ester deposition. The high K diet, by protecting endothelial cells, can greatly decrease this cholesterol ester deposition. This effect could possible be useful for preventing atherosclerotic complications such as heart attacks in human hypertension.
    Finland reduced strokes and heart attacks by 60% in a 20 year period by switching to a salt substitute (sodium,potassium, and magnesium), so increasing potassium seems to work in both rats and humans.
    Vi Cit Tecum.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Lactose intolerance isn't a real disease. It's just that most humans don't have that evolutionary mechanism. People can also eat shit like Twinkies and Spam, it doesn't mean it's natural or good for you. Just because humans can technically survive on certain substances doesn't mean it's the wisest thing to eat on a daily basis. Nutrition is a much more advanced science than it was 150 years ago. Tradition is not an argument for healthy eating. It's traditional to drink large quantities of vodka in Russian culture, but we now know how dangerous immoderate consumption of alcohol is (and that Russian men have a shockingly low life expectancy).
    I don't know... but I've never read any extensive body of studies that shows that lactose consumption in lactose intolerant individuals has lead to any serious health complications. There would likely be studies that correlate lactose intolerance with shorter-life term expectancy or adverse complication for it, like drug-usage or alcohol consumption. Like gluten intolerance f.ex or food allergies.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :hi:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: