User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

4 10.26%
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Nature VS Modern Medicine and weeding out what truly works.

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    There is 0 logic to this statement. Period. Unnatural/unnescessary ≠ bad and or crazy.

Further, lactase is produced naturally in individuals with the gene for it.
    People who have to take lactase do not have the gene, therefore it's unnatural for them, and they make up the majority of the world's population. Yes, it's unnatural for people who are lactose "intolerant" to take a drug when they could, oh you know, not eat dairy. I find it interesting that the Japanese live longer than many cultures, and eat minimum to no dairy. Reasearch has also shown that people who presumably had great skin genes actually developed acne when consuming a more American diet higher in dairy and sugar. Removing dairy can clear your sinuses, be a natural treatment for acne, among other things more long term and tenuous.

Yeah, I think the drug culture is crazy. Drugs are good when needed, but it's taxing to your system to constantly take unnecessary drugs.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    People who have to take lactase do not have the gene, therefore it's unnatural for them, and they make up the majority of the world's population. Yes, it's unnatural for people who are lactose "intolerant" to take a drug when they could, oh you know, not eat dairy.
    Semantics, and meaningless ultimately. Direct parallel argument: Type I diabetes. They need insulin (which they could naturally produce if they had the correct gene) to survive. Just because lactase is "cosmetic" does not make it wrong. At all.

Yes, it's unnatural for people who are lactose "intolerant" to take a drug when they could, oh you know, not eat dairy. I find it interesting that the Japanese live longer than many cultures, and eat minimum to no dairy. Reasearch has also shown that people who presumably had great skin genes actually developed acne when consuming a more American diet higher in dairy and sugar. Removing dairy can clear your sinuses, be a natural treatment for acne, among other things more long term and tenuous.
    We don't know the exact reasons why the Japanese have longer lifespans. Biology is currently too complex for us to understand. Each culture has their own share of health issues that likely stem from different things.

Your argument on this seems to be based on your opinion (yes, opinion) that diary is bad and should be eliminated. Demonizing the use of of lactase (something an individual could produce naturally) just because it might have minor health effects (of which you supported nothing substantiating towards), is totally asinine, and more bluntly; crazy.

Yeah, I think the drug culture is crazy. Drugs are good when needed, but it's taxing to your system to constantly take unnecessary drugs.
    This is a vacuous broad stroke statement and can be dismissed as erroneous.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I agree with kyuuei about the risks of waiting for natural remedies to kick in for conditions like high BP. I have that, and I am changing my lifestyle to treat it. I do use a salt substitute of potassium but it's still high. And I've lost weight but I'm doing it slowly on purpose and it will probably be a couple more years before I'm at a "normal" weight. If I just let my high BP hang out in that time I'm liable to stroke out, especially since I also have a heart arrhythmia that raises my risk of stroke. I'm certainly planning to step down the dosages as my lifestyle changes take effect but it's not an overnight thing.

Also, the thing about deaths from prescription meds seems like a bait and switch to me- you (edit: not kyuuei, I think it was Tellenbach who posted that) start out talking about BP meds and say people should eschew them because of deaths from pharmaceuticals , but the evidence you cite about those deaths refers specifically to Xanax which is addictive if abused and can react with alcohol, leading to respiratory failure. Seems like apples to oranges, to me.
    Likes Hard liked this post

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Semantics, and meaningless ultimately. Direct parallel argument: Type I diabetes. They need insulin (which they could naturally produce if they had the correct gene) to survive. Just because lactase is "cosmetic" does not make it wrong. At all.

We don't know the exact reasons why the Japanese have longer lifespans. Biology is currently too complex for us to understand. Each culture has their own share of health issues that likely stem from different things.

Your argument on this seems to be based on your opinion (yes, opinion) that diary is bad and should be eliminated. Demonizing the use of of lactase (something an individual could produce naturally) just because it might have minor health effects (of which you supported nothing substantiating towards), is totally asinine, and more bluntly; crazy.

This is a vacuous broad stroke statement and can be dismissed as erroneous.
    The majority of the population not having a gene for digesting lactose is not at all the same as having diabetes, which is an illness. Also my statement was not "vacuous" as it does put extra stress on your liver and kidneys to process drugs you don't actually need, I am far from the only person who recognizes the dependency of Western people, especially Americans, on pharmaceuticals, just wanting to pop a pill for everything instead of weighing other issues, any responsible doctor also weighs other factors, Kyuuei in fact noted the way many people just want to pop a pill instead of altering their diet or taking other factors like exercise, sleep, etc into consideration.

I am through talking to you, you are just disrespectful, seeing as that your argument is also based on your opinion, because in fact I posted multiple sources that cited studies about dairy, with physicians in fact recommending eliminating it in my second link.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I do use a salt substitute of potassium but it's still high.
    This is off topic, but it's fun to tell. It's a shame that we can't use lithium chloride as a salt substitute. It tastes indiscernible from table salt (I know from personal experience, hehe ) except that it gets "hot" and heats up if it's dry when you eat it. Unlike potassium chloride which kindasortaalmost tastes like salt, then has a bitter aftertaste. I'm not sure if rubidium chloride or cesium chloride would taste better (your body could handle them fine, also need to add these to my taste test list, hehe. I know we have CsCl in lab), but they are sadly quite expensive. Edit: doesn't look like RbCl or CsCl would be viable, the former has neurobiological effects, the latter has cardiac (though it doesn't say at what dosage levels). Never would have guessed that one.

The issue with LiCl is that in large amounts, it can make your heart stop. Which, obviously is deadly. It can also cause all kinds of dangerous/deadly neurological problems. They initially introduced it as a substitute in the 1940's, until the realized "Um, oops! This can make people sick/die, can't have that" and it was promptly pulled from the market and replaced with KCl (which has it's own problems if used too much, more so in women than men).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Can't potassium chloride do that, too? My salt substitute has a warning label. I use as little as possible.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Another thing I use as a salt substitute sometimes is nutritional yeast. That was actually recommended to me as a substitute to the substitute, since last time I brought it up with my doctor he told me to be careful about using the potassium chloride product since I'm on BP meds. So I use some regular salt, some salt sub, and some nutritional yeast. Between it all I get the flavors I like and keep my sodium/potassium at the levels I need them.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

The majority of the population not having a gene for digesting lactose is not at all the same as having diabetes, which is an illness. Also my statement was not "vacuous" as it does put extra stress on your liver and kidneys to process drugs you don't actually need, I am far from the only person who recognizes the dependency of Western people, especially Americans, on pharmaceuticals, just wanting to pop a pill for everything instead of weighing other issues, any responsible doctor also weighs other factors, Kyuuei in fact noted the way many people just want to pop a pill instead of altering their diet or taking other factors like exercise, sleep, etc into consideration.
    Yes, your state is vacuous. It's a blanket generalization trying to demonize modern medicine for being "overused". You said nothing to offer valid support of it. If things are over used, we can measure it and are aware of this possibly occurring. Saying "taxing on your liver" is one of the most ridiculous and overused statements in "natural" health communities which ultimately means nothing. There is no "pill dependency", it's simply a matter of people at large preferring that method over something requiring further effort (and stand alone pills will not always solve the problem, there needs to be additional work such as diet/exersize/environment changes.

And yes individuals not possessing a gene is the same thing regardless of the outcome. You simply don't want it to be. Can you take something to improve quality of life? Then do so. It will cause the individual NO HARM, at ALL to take it.

I am through talking to you, you are just disrespectful, seeing as that your argument is also based on your opinion, because in fact I posted multiple sources that cited studies about dairy, with physicians in fact recommending eliminating it in my second link.
    Well, I don't give a shit. As I said to small.wonder, if I see something wrong in this realm and tauting falsehoods, I am going to speak up about it and I am not going to back down (unless the individual is truly unreasonable and can not be reached). You can, but I won't. My argument is not based of opinion. Your sources are minimally value/weight at best (I already pointed that out). There needs to be a much larger group consensus about it in order for it to be taken seriously. If it comes to pass, the FDA or some other major announcement will go through the medical community that will gain traction fast. This exact thing has happened with table salt a few times over the past few decades.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Can't potassium chloride do that, too? My salt substitute has a warning label. I use as little as possible.

Another thing I use as a salt substitute sometimes is nutritional yeast. That was actually recommended to me as a substitute to the substitute, since last time I brought it up with my doctor he told me to be careful about using the potassium chloride product since I'm on BP meds. So I use some regular salt, some salt sub, and some nutritional yeast. Between it all I get the flavors I like and keep my sodium/potassium at the levels I need them.
    Yes it can. I don't know the exact levels for KCl so I would ask a doctor or nurse about what is safe amounts. Generally speaking though you don't want to be dumping spoonfulls onto a dish, but then that would taste terrible.

Yeah! I had a former roomate who used nutritional yeast as a salt subsistute (mostly because she just liked it). I tried it and gagged; it was nasty! Some like it though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

There's only certain stuff I like the nutritional yeast on. Popcorn is one.

Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast