User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the farmacy trend?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a hippy and I'm proud of it. Also, I have proof it works. No aluminum DO for me!

3 7.69%
  • I'm kind of a hippy, but I was brought up that way, and/or I like moral aspects of the trend.

4 10.26%
  • This is a thing? Who's Jenny McCarthy? I mean, I guess both are fine.

4 10.26%
  • Science trumps turnips all day. Beets and apples won't keep you from having eczema hunny, sorry.

24 61.54%
  • I don't really care at all. I can't afford either of them anyways.

4 10.26%
First 8161718192028 Last

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Simply put: they wield logic completely wrong.
    Yes, you're right, this is it, exactly.
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

There are some things that are guarantee caused by pollution and chemicals. Recently my poor 48 year old aunt got cerebral hypoxia for not being informed by the idiots who painted her house that the house itself needs to be off-gassed, before it's safe for people to inhabit. Now her life is cut short by god knows how many years. There are tons of conditions in the west, that are rare or exist at very small rates in developing countries. Allergies, asthma, eczema, diabates 2, arthritis, long-term depression, obesity, hay-fever, arterial plaque, hypertension, alcoholism, mercurial poisoning, GERD, osteporosis, hernias, ulcerative colitis, crohn, Multiple sclerosis, lupus, degenerative disc-hernias, and a much longer list of health problems. So saying first world nutrition, chemicals and even pharmaceuticals haven't lead to anything, despite epidemics, is pretty ignorant. Some studies have shown that vaccinations, overly hygienic conditions has lead totons of infammatory condtions. Xenoestroens are affecting frtility of men all over the world.

Ths topic raises really philosphical discourse and serious reflection.
    Don't get me wrong here... most of what has been done in the west was intended for good or to commercialize something that makes our lives easier. But it's a double edged sword, and it has replaced some forms of life-quality decreasing conditions and enviroments, with new ones that are just as debilitating. The pharmaceutical industry is just a response to that. It's putting band-aids upon band-aids in an everlasting loop. Something obviously went wrong in that very human struggle. But maybe it's just the everlasting procession. We rid ourselves from the wolves, bears, tigers and lions, bacterial and viral diseases. Only to get hit by diabetes 2, or obesity or osteoporosis and domestic crime. We used to fight predators to get our resources, now we fight each other in bloody wars and battles. In the west we have longer life-spans, we've increased the amount of time we live in this world, but we're more miserable than our less fortunate peers in the developing world. We've become knowledgeable, studious and able, but none the wiser(Think of nuclear weapons, global warming and what have you). Maybe that's the unfortunate course of history. No matter what we do... we'll end up with another challenge. Until the end of mankind's time.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive
    However, has it occurred to you that this occurs because those with alternative views can never back their statements with decent evidence or research (and when they do, it tends to be misinterpreted or shady)?
    No, because it's not true. Among the ranks of those with alternative views include Copernicus, Linus Pauling, the Australian doctor who discovered the link between ulcers and H. pylori, the doctor who isolated the growth factor that causes angiogenesis, Jane Goodall (discovered that chimps use tools), etc, etc.

The classic strategy employed by establishment institutions like the Mayo Clinic is to deliberately screw up an experiment (by using non-effective low dosages, by relying on meta-studies that leave out certain studies not favorable to their position, or to ignore the problem and label it quackery).

In the Vitamin C battles of the 1980s between Pauling and the Mayo Clinic, Pauling made multiple, valid criticisms of their experimental design. The Mayo Clinic gave the Vitamin orally instead of intravenously when all the earlier reports of positive results used intravenous Vit-C. This is just one example of how the establishment suppresses potentially effective treatments. They've managed to suppress the use of Vitamin C on a national scale for 30 years now. Gotta protect that chemotherapy cash cow.
    Don't hate me because I'm right and you're not.

People In General,
    Clearly I'm in over my head on this thread. I still maintain that my beliefs are based (and built) on both my experiences and information, but because of who I am, the former comes first. This thread addresses an extremely complex and gray topic, one that many people are biased one way or another about. Even @Hard 's story about his Mom and her quack of a doctor-- yes, they absolutely exist, but that does not make all holistic physicians quacks. I can see why that experience would poison the well so to speak, I have had similar bad experiences with traditional medicine (though I still don't write it off). While I may not agree with some of the points here, I really do desire to hear all sides and will be reading. There's no need to respond to this, really.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, I just don't like passively jumping ship.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    People In General,
    Clearly I'm in over my head on this thread. I still maintain that my beliefs are based (and built) on both my experiences and information, but because of who I am, the former comes first.
    Beliefs and experiences don't make something right, no matter how strongly you feel them or wish them to be. This is simply how the world is and no one can change that. If we did allow that to drive things, science would never work. Fact trumps all.

People In General,
    This thread addresses an extremely complex and gray topic, one that many people are biased one way or another about.
    It's actually not that grey as pointed out by several individuals.

Even Hard's story about his Mom and her quack of a doctor-- yes, they absolutely exist, but that does not make all holistic physicians quacks. I can see why that experience would poison the well so to speak, I have had similar bad experiences with traditional medicine (though I still don't write it off). While I may not agree with some of the points here, I really do desire to hear all sides and will be reading.
    Correct. Neither side is pure. However, misinformation regarding either side needs to be made clear.

I'm not trying to be dramatic, I just don't like passively jumping ship.
    At no point did I think you were being dramatic. You have strong opinions on the discussion at hand and sought to defend them. All that happened is you were met with an even stronger resistance/counter-argument. This is an area I do not back down on unless an individual appears like a truly lost cause (and even then sometimes I don't stop).
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Beliefs and experiences don't make something right, no matter how strongly you feel them or wish them to be. This is simply how the world is and no one can change that. If we did allow that to drive things, science would never work. Fact trumps all.
    For you, friend. Experience has nothing to do with wishing. You speak as if the entire world agrees with you (or must, or else), which is (as you put it) not the way things work. This is my last response on this matter.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    Pseudoephedrine relieves symptoms but some formulations of Sudafed have paracetamol which is an anti-pyretic (reduces fever), this is a component of the healing process.

Your posts contain gross generalisations, do back up your claims with research (like @Tellenbach).
    I do a ton of research and a doctor actually advised me to never ever take dayquil. There are other products for fever reduction, such as plain aspirin, and ways to relieve congestion without legal speed, trust me. I don't ever take cold or cough medicine unless I am dying of the flu, and that's not even every year.

Addendum: also, cold and cough medicine will not heal the flu either, it is simply a way to make symptoms more tolerable. ..low grade fevers actually are good for you ...only high fevers require fever reduction, and the fact remains that Sudafed will not reduce the length of your cold.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    Lactose intolerance doesnt mean milk consumption is unnatural. Only that there are limits to what a person can consume before getting gastrointestinal symptoms. I have lactose intolerance and i could go through a liter of milk before feeling some abdominal discomfort. lots of nomads in asia and africa also drink milk and have lactose intolerance.
    Lactose intolerance isn't a real disease. It's just that most humans don't have that evolutionary mechanism. People can also eat shit like Twinkies and Spam, it doesn't mean it's natural or good for you. Just because humans can technically survive on certain substances doesn't mean it's the wisest thing to eat on a daily basis. Nutrition is a much more advanced science than it was 150 years ago. Tradition is not an argument for healthy eating. It's traditional to drink large quantities of vodka in Russian culture, but we now know how dangerous immoderate consumption of alcohol is (and that Russian men have a shockingly low life expectancy).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Easy way to deal with it too. Lactase. You can buy it at a pharmacy or sometimes a supermarket.
    It's ridiculous to take drugs so you can participate in an unnatural and unnecessary behavior. People are crazy.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    It's ridiculous to take drugs so you can participate in an unnatural and unnecessary behavior. People are crazy.
    There is 0 logic to this statement. Period. Unnatural/unnescessary ≠ bad and or crazy.

Further, lactase is produced naturally in individuals with the gene for it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari