User Tag List

View Poll Results: Like/Dislike Dogs/Cats?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like Dogs, Like Cats

    15 37.50%
  • Like Dogs, Neutral Cats

    7 17.50%
  • Like Dogs, Dislike Cats

    1 2.50%
  • Neutral Dogs, Like Cats

    14 35.00%
  • Neutral Dogs, Neutral Cats

    1 2.50%
  • Neutral Dogs, Dislike Cats

    0 0%
  • Dislike Dogs, Like Cats

    1 2.50%
  • Dislike Dogs, Neutral Cats

    0 0%
  • Dislike Dogs, Dislike Cats

    1 2.50%
123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 29

  1. #1
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,988

    Default Dog/Cat preference Linked with Social Dominance and Political View

    This is interesting:

    http://theconversation.com/faithful-...ferences-26926

    To highlight a few excerpts from the article:

    In a 2014 American survey conducted with Time magazine, social psychologist Jonathan Haidt also showed that conservatives prefer dogs. A 2012 study conducted by the American Veterinary Medical Association found that nine of the ten states with the highest rates of dog ownership voted Republican in that year’s US presidential election. Nine of the ten states with the lowest rates voted Democrat.
    We obtained two samples of more than 500 American adults and gave them a survey that assessed several dominance-related personality characteristics and quizzed them about their pet preferences. In both studies, self-professed dog people scored higher than cat people on measures of competitiveness and particularly on “social dominance orientation” (SDO) – the tendency to expect, accept and endorse inequality between social groups.

    Women scored lower than men on SDO and were more likely to be cat people, but the link between SDO and being a dog person could not be explained by gender.

    I think this is really interesting, and on the surface seems easy to explain, but appears to be a lot more difficult. Cats and dogs do have behavioral differences and there have been many studies connecting those with the personalities of people. I can not find it at the moment, but I remember reading a study several years ago saying that cat people tend to be better at reading body language. Reason being: cat body language and behavior is far more complex and subtle than dogs. The study here seems to be making an additional extension link between cats/dogs, personality, and political peference. Maybe one that is a bit too abstract to be that meaningful, but it's still very interesting to read.

    On a personal level, I am a TOTAL cat person. Always have been since early childhood. I begged for a cat as a pet from just 3 years old. They're soft, cute, and complex. I "get" cat behavior very easily, and as such I jive with them well. I've had friends call me a cat whisperer before because I can win over a skittish cat rather quickly. Dogs? I don't like them, never have much either. I would never have one as a pet either. They just aren't for me. The larger and more energetic they get the more I dislike them as well.

    I attached a poll, but the one I was coming up with was just too complex for what I want, so I just copped out and made a like/dislike poll for cats and dogs. We (for the most part) know each others political leanings anyway.

    Discuss!
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    I love dogs, my family has two lab-spaniel crosses...I posted a pic of the puppy a couple of days ago. They're both very adorable looking but the older one is a trained hunter and has over 200 possum kills now.

    Cats...meh. Even if I ignored the fact that they are responsible for killing a lot of native birds here and can give people toxoplasmosis, it has been investigated that they don't give a fuck about you, either: http://io9.com/study-backs-up-what-o...car-1474310844

    I already knew that of course.

  3. #3
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    Big cat person - grew up with so they were like my dolls (never had a real interest in dolls). Love dogs as well, just aint as experienced with them as we only had one when i was growing up.

    Cat behavior rambles wrt to the study posted above and toxoplasmosis inside. Enter at own risk.



    Ive always likened cats to Fi for this reason - do not control me but love me for who I am, negotiate your needs and I will promise to do the same
    Whereas dogs seem more Fe-based where they work together as a unit and have a social ranking system - I have your back, you have mine and we might squabble from time to time but you will always be family to me.

    I prefer cats because I grew up with them and I relate to their sense of independence, need for freedom and want for cuddles
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  4. #4
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Big cat person - grew up with so they were like my dolls (never had a real interest in dolls). Love dogs as well, just aint as experienced with them as we only had one when i was growing up.

    Cat behavior rambles wrt to the study posted above and toxoplasmosis inside. Enter at own risk.



    Ive always likened cats to Fi for this reason - do not control me but love me for who I am, negotiate your needs and I will promise to do the same
    Whereas dogs seem more Fe-based where they work together as a unit and have a social ranking system - I have your back, you have mine and we might squabble from time to time but you will always be family to me.

    I prefer cats because I grew up with them and I relate to their sense of independence, need for freedom and want for cuddles
    Wonderfully said.

    In particular the part about cats being called. Cat's will answer and come to you, if they know there might be a reason. When I was growing up, our cat would come to us if we called and she could tell it was that we wanted to give her affection (and she was in the mood for it) or if she was to be given something. Or, if one of us was in distress or hurt, she'd usually come running to see what happened. She was really smart. It's funny you said that cats train us, and it's so true. My mom and I jokingly said that with her from when she was a kitten, that she was training us on how to act for what she needed. The study was flawed in that it was treating cats like dogs, and thus came to the wrong kind of conclusions. Princess (our cat) also got progressively more vocal as she got older, and my mom and I learned rather quickly to discern her calls. Interestingly (and she pointed this out to me on several occasions) she meowed less around me than she did with her (which my mom was jealous of because when my mom didn't listen, she'd be noisey!). Which makes sense as I seemed to "understand" our cat more so than my mom did.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  5. #5
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    That and your cat probably figured out that your mom responds better to more vocalisation

    They tend to personalise this shit, seriously. They know which person to approach for which desire at which time of day to yield the greatest success.

    When i came into this house (of my in laws, we're house sitting while they live abroad), the family cat of 15 years old was ...well, dismayed. You see, it had trained the entire family of 6 to respond to its calls. It got wet food whenever it asked for it as there was always some person that hadn't been given the memo that the cat had already been fed, it prompted them perfectly to play doorman for him and vocally demanded attention and cuddles - all of this both during the day AND night. And they did it - coz he rotated who he bugged so it never became a point where they were like...welll, maybe we should stop giving in to that.

    All wonderful, but he had also never heard a 'no', before and I quickly became the person who had to medicate him and set some boundaries as they a)weren't there, and b) when they were, they were hesitant to negotiate *any* boundaries. This also meant that occasionally, his fur was so matted as he protested to having it brushed, that he actually suffered from skin infections so....when I came in and I wasn't as...willing to cave to his every whim, we had a bit of a stand off. I also took away his wet food as it was contributing to chronic mouth infections, and replaced it with specialised dry food to help with his arthritis - he was not amused, nor were his owners, as they felt it deprived him of what he was entitled to. And while he first hyperventilated almost out of stress when I made him let me take care of those knots in his fur, he is now to the point where he protests when it gets too much and we negotiate a pause, but won't actually stress himself into oblivion. And he is starting to enjoy the brush as it come with cuddles.

    He became incessantly vocal with me since I wasn't responding to what he wanted all the time, which..I tend to train out of my cats - needless whining gets ignored or followed up with something they don't like, while a silent or short, single meow to draw attention while sitting in front of me gets rewarded if I feel it was warranted. He still is vocal - part of it is due to his age, really - but has learned that if I give the sign to stop and he doesn't, a nose flick follows ( which offends him to no end or so it seems ), so he got a lot less whiny.

    We get on famously now, but yeah...that first summer, with him falling ill and me medicating him and telling him to suck it up (I was as gentle as I could), the poor thing did go through a lot. He just lost his brother before we moved in, I brought 6 extra cats and his perfectly trained family was gone. It took him a year to really warm up to me, but now we get on smoothly. We occasionally still have disagreements on what he gets to dictate and if he should heed my warnings when I give them but most of the time we see eye to eye now. We have fond cuddle sessions and he actively seeks me out now and not just when he needs something. I also get a tail-up greeting these days, instead of being ignored
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  6. #6
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    That and your cat probably figured out that your mom responds better to more vocalisation

    They tend to personalise this shit, seriously. They know which person to approach for which desire at which time of day to yield the greatest success.

    When i came into this house (of my in laws, we're house sitting while they live abroad), the family cat of 15 years old was ...well, dismayed. You see, it had trained the entire family of 6 to respond to its calls. It got wet food whenever it asked for it as there was always some person that hadn't been given the memo that the cat had already been fed, it prompted them perfectly to play doorman for him and vocally demanded attention and cuddles - all of this both during the day AND night. And they did it - coz he rotated who he bugged so it never became a point where they were like...welll, maybe we should stop giving in to that.

    All wonderful, but he had also never heard a 'no', before and I quickly became the person who had to medicate him and set some boundaries as they a)weren't there, and b) when they were, they were hesitant to negotiate *any* boundaries. This also meant that occasionally, his fur was so matted as he protested to having it brushed, that he actually suffered from skin infections so....when I came in and I wasn't as...willing to cave to his every whim, we had a bit of a stand off. I also took away his wet food as it was contributing to chronic mouth infections, and replaced it with specialised dry food to help with his arthritis - he was not amused, nor were his owners, as they felt it deprived him of what he was entitled to. And while he first hyperventilated almost out of stress when I made him let me take care of those knots in his fur, he is now to the point where he protests when it gets too much and we negotiate a pause, but won't actually stress himself into oblivion. And he is starting to enjoy the brush as it come with cuddles.

    He became incessantly vocal with me since I wasn't responding to what he wanted all the time, which..I tend to train out of my cats - needless whining gets ignored or followed up with something they don't like, while a silent or short, single meow to draw attention while sitting in front of me gets rewarded if I feel it was warranted. He still is vocal - part of it is due to his age, really - but has learned that if I give the sign to stop and he doesn't, a nose flick follows ( which offends him to no end or so it seems ), so he got a lot less whiny.

    We get on famously now, but yeah...that first summer, with him falling ill and me medicating him and telling him to suck it up (I was as gentle as I could), the poor thing did go through a lot. He just lost his brother before we moved in, I brought 6 extra cats and his perfectly trained family was gone. It took him a year to really warm up to me, but now we get on smoothly. We occasionally still have disagreements on what he gets to dictate and if he should heed my warnings when I give them but most of the time we see eye to eye now. We have fond cuddle sessions and he actively seeks me out now and not just when he needs something. I also get a tail-up greeting these days, instead of being ignored
    Oh jeeze that sounds like a whole bunch of bad wrapped up into one! Sounds like you did *exactly* what was needed though which is awesome! He's quite the old kitty too, and that can make then a touch senile even if they don't appear it outwardly. What amazes me about a lot of cat owners, is they wrong assume that cat's are low maintaince. Not true! It's just a different kind of maintaining that one needs to do. It sounds like the family was just taken advantage of though; lack of communication. I'm surprised they didn't notice the wet food going fast though. You over feed a cat wetfood and their poor teeth are gonna rot right out of their mouth, so they should even be watching that from a financial prospective. Dental work on a pet is NOT cheap. I'm surprised they never brushed him either. Cat's can usually be trained into enjoying brushing. Ours used to ask for it.

    Now all you need is a tail up followed by a side flop into the floor at your feet and it'll be perfect .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  7. #7
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Oh jeeze that sounds like a whole bunch of bad wrapped up into one! Sounds like you did *exactly* what was needed though which is awesome! He's quite the old kitty too, and that can make then a touch senile even if they don't appear it outwardly. What amazes me about a lot of cat owners, is they wrong assume that cat's are low maintaince. Not true! It's just a different kind of maintaining that one needs to do. It sounds like the family was just taken advantage of though; lack of communication. I'm surprised they didn't notice the wet food going fast though. You over feed a cat wetfood and their poor teeth are gonna rot right out of their mouth, so they should even be watching that from a financial prospective. Dental work on a pet is NOT cheap. I'm surprised they never brushed him either. Cat's can usually be trained into enjoying brushing. Ours used to ask for it.

    Now all you need is a tail up followed by a side flop into the floor at your feet and it'll be perfect .
    Goal already achieved

    I loved that they were respectful of their cats boundaries and needs - it's better than the other extreme, but yeah, he definitely trained them instead of the other way around

    While they did attempt to brush him, it was usually too infrequent, which means that it was painful for him with the knots already formed - and then the cat is of course not going to be pleased. I love cats who know themselves that they need some help from a brush - it's so much easier when they prompt you

    AS for the dental work - it IS fucking expensive. And here especially - Norway is like 3 times the cost of what I paid in Belgium when it comes to veterinary bills. The thing is, dental work becomes unavoidable after the age of 7 or 8, unless you teach em how to tolerate you brushing their teeth every day. And his were...well, at 15, really bad. The doctor actually told me after I got them cleaned the first time that he'd have to come back every 3 to 6 months to have it redone and I was like...dude, Im not putting a 15 year old cat under narcosis 4 times a year, and I aint made of money. So I took some steps - like changing the food - to make it just *once* a year coz wow.

    K, imma try and stop derailing your thread now
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  8. #8
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Big cat person - grew up with so they were like my dolls (never had a real interest in dolls). Love dogs as well, just aint as experienced with them as we only had one when i was growing up.

    Cat behavior rambles wrt to the study posted above and toxoplasmosis inside. Enter at own risk.



    Ive always likened cats to Fi for this reason - do not control me but love me for who I am, negotiate your needs and I will promise to do the same
    Whereas dogs seem more Fe-based where they work together as a unit and have a social ranking system - I have your back, you have mine and we might squabble from time to time but you will always be family to me.

    I prefer cats because I grew up with them and I relate to their sense of independence, need for freedom and want for cuddles
    I think mentioning that your cats ate ur dog is also kind of relevant
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  9. #9
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I'm a cat person overall, I think most cats have a more complex personality and I generally have more fun interacting with them, compared to interacting with dogs.

    Dogs are great for anything task-oriented, I went hunting a couple of times and I saw dogs in their "natural environment" - just great. On the other hand, I find home dogs kind of sad, they're not meant for that kind of life.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #10
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Similar Threads

  1. Strength of Functions: Dominant and Auxiliary
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 05:50 AM
  2. [NF] NFs and political views anyone?
    By Susah in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
  3. 8 Cognitive Processes Dominant and 2ndary Interactions: What They Look Like
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM
  4. [ENTP] Social insecurity and how to deal with it? (Recent problem included)
    By Mondo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
  5. Ne dominants and social life
    By Moiety in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 04:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO