User Tag List

123 Last

Default Inaptitude to use Google

I have this good ability to use google to make specific searches on topics I am interested, as internet is a vast reservoir of information.

The thing is there are some people around me who have been using computers for about 10-15 years yet are very very inept at finding the information they desire on the net, as if it doesn't even occur to them.

For instance a senior coworker learnt that I am relatively better at excel stuff and keeps automatically coming to me with excel related questions. The last time, I told him to google it and that a solution would come up yet 3 days laters he's still asking the same question to the IT guy that visited the office today. He's a very knowledgable person with good thinking skills.

What I am wondering is whether there's some kind of inaptitude or laziness or some other mechanism behind all this?

So how's your google skills?

Yeah, I have no idea why people bother to ask when they could google it themselves ... especially when they ask people who also have to google the answer anyway.

At least your coworker is older and not so computer literate. It bugs me when younger people do this because they have no excuse.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I have this good ability to use google to make specific searches on topics I am interested, as internet is a vast reservoir of information.

The thing is there are some people around me who have been using computers for about 10-15 years yet are very very inept at finding the information they desire on the net, as if it doesn't even occur to them.

For instance a senior coworker learnt that I am relatively better at excel stuff and keeps automatically coming to me with excel related questions. The last time, I told him to google it and that a solution would come up yet 3 days laters he's still asking the same question to the IT guy that visited the office today. He's a very knowledgable person with good thinking skills.

What I am wondering is whether there's some kind of inaptitude or laziness or some other mechanism behind all this?

I've met the type, and I've been the type to do such.

Sometimes, it is just easier to ask and it is a good opportunity to speak if you do not speak often.

Sometimes, finding the answer online still makes you blind in how to apply it. (It would undoubtly be better to mention that they've googled it and not understood how to apply it, but there's also the chance that someone says: Just figure it out. It's just that it doesn't work all the time.)

Sometimes, my google skills fail me and I've searched for something for a few days, just taken the time to write a forum request and suddenly, someone says something out of the blue that solves my entire problem I was having and I feel embarassed I've even mentioned it.

Sometimes, pressing F1 really helps. Mention that to the excel-guy. :P
    Ps, it works for more applications than excel.

Sometimes; Google skills sucks and there should be google-schools in how to use the search engine efficiently. Now that I think about it, I think I've seen articles and similar in how to use a search engine efficiently and correctly but that was while I was googling with my crazy haxxor goodle skills.

And sometimes, even if you talk often, you bring higher status to the one you ask. Unless it turns into this exploitative action. Then it doesn't. And some people lige being asked. Then again, not always.

Then there's the laziness.

Oh, and hell, if you are in a group conversation it can be nice to ask someone. Bonding and shit.

Personally, I use the lmgtfy.com
    It is a nice reminder and a perfect excuse to be snarky.

Hell, and sometimes I can just be blind to something. I'm just blind and I cannot see it. It isn't there until someone mentions it. I can search for it and not find it. No matter how long I search for it, it just isn't there. EVEN IF my search has yielded the correct result.

Other times, the screen can be confusing even if I grew up with it (almost). I might not be able to comprehend what I am reading at times and I ask "you".
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

MBTI
    yupp

because google doesn't actually answer the question "is there a part of the human body that can be made into bacon?"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    because google doesn't actually answer the question "is there a part of the human body that can be made into bacon?"
    Hypothetically, could I make human bacon? : NoStupidQuestions

"By definition, bacon = pork belly. So, the answer is no. However, you could make "bacon". "

On my first google search.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Hypothetically, could I make human bacon? : NoStupidQuestions

"By definition, bacon = pork belly. So, the answer is no. However, you could make "bacon". "

On my first google search.
    you cheated.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    RAD

you cheated.
    Wait, what? How?

I dare you to provide me with an explanation to how I cheated.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Wait, what? How?

I dare you to provide me with an explanation to how I cheated.
    at some point in life I'm sure you've cheated
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    RAD

at some point in life I'm sure you've cheated
    You can't prove it and even if you could, which you can't, there's no such thing as cheating. Ultimately, things happen because they can.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post

I've always been pretty good at knowing intuitively what to search for. I think it's just how one's brain processes stuff. If you're detail-oriented and linear-organized, and each item in a collection to you has identical priority -- i.e., if you're not great at writing summary statements -- then you might have trouble knowing what terms to pick in order to find what you want. You have to be able to quickly boil a question down into a few keywords to use search engines effectively. Which words are most likely to give you the results you're looking for?

Laziness can play into anything, so it seems pointless to assume those judgments about people I don't even know. How would I even be able to assess whether someone is lazy, just because they happen to be having trouble with a search engine?

More interesting is just to consider how differences in how people's brains process and prioritize information and how that could impact this particular topic of search engine effectiveness.

For every other question, I go to Google.
    For that one, I go to "Hannibal" on NBC.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft