• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inaptitude to use Google

yeghor

I have this good ability to use google to make specific searches on topics I am interested, as internet is a vast reservoir of information.

The thing is there are some people around me who have been using computers for about 10-15 years yet are very very inept at finding the information they desire on the net, as if it doesn't even occur to them.

For instance a senior coworker learnt that I am relatively better at excel stuff and keeps automatically coming to me with excel related questions. The last time, I told him to google it and that a solution would come up yet 3 days laters he's still asking the same question to the IT guy that visited the office today. He's a very knowledgable person with good thinking skills.

What I am wondering is whether there's some kind of inaptitude or laziness or some other mechanism behind all this?

So how's your google skills?

Yeah, I have no idea why people bother to ask when they could google it themselves ... especially when they ask people who also have to google the answer anyway.

At least your coworker is older and not so computer literate. It bugs me when younger people do this because they have no excuse.

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
I have this good ability to use google to make specific searches on topics I am interested, as internet is a vast reservoir of information.

The thing is there are some people around me who have been using computers for about 10-15 years yet are very very inept at finding the information they desire on the net, as if it doesn't even occur to them.

For instance a senior coworker learnt that I am relatively better at excel stuff and keeps automatically coming to me with excel related questions. The last time, I told him to google it and that a solution would come up yet 3 days laters he's still asking the same question to the IT guy that visited the office today. He's a very knowledgable person with good thinking skills.

What I am wondering is whether there's some kind of inaptitude or laziness or some other mechanism behind all this?

I've met the type, and I've been the type to do such.

Sometimes, it is just easier to ask and it is a good opportunity to speak if you do not speak often.

Sometimes, finding the answer online still makes you blind in how to apply it. (It would undoubtly be better to mention that they've googled it and not understood how to apply it, but there's also the chance that someone says: Just figure it out. It's just that it doesn't work all the time.)

Sometimes, my google skills fail me and I've searched for something for a few days, just taken the time to write a forum request and suddenly, someone says something out of the blue that solves my entire problem I was having and I feel embarassed I've even mentioned it.

Sometimes, pressing F1 really helps. Mention that to the excel-guy. :p
Ps, it works for more applications than excel.

Sometimes; Google skills sucks and there should be google-schools in how to use the search engine efficiently. Now that I think about it, I think I've seen articles and similar in how to use a search engine efficiently and correctly but that was while I was googling with my crazy haxxor goodle skills.

And sometimes, even if you talk often, you bring higher status to the one you ask. Unless it turns into this exploitative action. Then it doesn't. And some people lige being asked. Then again, not always.

Then there's the laziness.

Oh, and hell, if you are in a group conversation it can be nice to ask someone. Bonding and shit.

Personally, I use the lmgtfy.com
It is a nice reminder and a perfect excuse to be snarky.

Hell, and sometimes I can just be blind to something. I'm just blind and I cannot see it. It isn't there until someone mentions it. I can search for it and not find it. No matter how long I search for it, it just isn't there. EVEN IF my search has yielded the correct result.

Other times, the screen can be confusing even if I grew up with it (almost). I might not be able to comprehend what I am reading at times and I ask "you".

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because google doesn't actually answer the question "is there a part of the human body that can be made into bacon?"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've always been pretty good at knowing intuitively what to search for. I think it's just how one's brain processes stuff. If you're detail-oriented and linear-organized, and each item in a collection to you has identical priority -- i.e., if you're not great at writing summary statements -- then you might have trouble knowing what terms to pick in order to find what you want. You have to be able to quickly boil a question down into a few keywords to use search engines effectively. Which words are most likely to give you the results you're looking for?

Laziness can play into anything, so it seems pointless to assume those judgments about people I don't even know. How would I even be able to assess whether someone is lazy, just because they happen to be having trouble with a search engine?

More interesting is just to consider how differences in how people's brains process and prioritize information and how that could impact this particular topic of search engine effectiveness.

because google doesn't actually answer the question "is there a part of the human body that can be made into bacon?"

For every other question, I go to Google.
For that one, I go to "Hannibal" on NBC.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You can't prove it and even if you could, which you can't, there's no such thing as cheating. Ultimately, things happen because they can.

no there is such as thing as cheating. you're denial of ever cheating makes it sound like you have, but are ashamed

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
no there is such as thing as cheating. you're denial of ever cheating makes it sound like you have, but are ashamed

You assume too much. Look at reality instead of what isn't there. You are just like my mom.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
I did give birth to you. No i am looking reality and people do cheat.

Oh damn. I'm a virtual being. I'm sorry everyone out there. I thought I was real. I'm apparently fiction.

Hell, if you made me, why don't I follow your ethics? Hell, why didn't you cause me to do your bidding?
Do you think you are god now? I relinquish the fact and will live forever in denial. I made myself!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People who won't use Google should all die in a fire. They drive me insane. Especially when they ask things like "What is a ______?" -- you know, ask for DEFINITIONS, for the love of God. Srsly, you can't use your computer to look up a freakin' DEFINITION?? ARRRRRRGGGGGG.

Serendipity

MBTI Type
RAD
People who won't use Google should all die in a fire. They drive me insane. Especially when they ask things like "What is a ______?" -- you know, ask for DEFINITIONS, for the love of God. Srsly, you can't use your computer to look up a freakin' DEFINITION?? ARRRRRRGGGGGG.

Don't you miss the good olden times when definitions were made on the spot between parties? That good old speculating feature that was ever appearing in conversations?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh damn. I'm a virtual being. I'm sorry everyone out there. I thought I was real. I'm apparently fiction.

Hell, if you made me, why don't I follow your ethics? Hell, why didn't you cause me to do your bidding?
Do you think you are god now? I relinquish the fact and will live forever in denial. I made myself!
I have ethics?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i am a great googler and i resent everyone who isn't for making me look their shit up for them. i especially hate it when people ask stupid, easily searchable questions on the internet (like here, for instance). drives me crazy :censored: