First 456

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Relativity make it plain it is physically impossible to travel backwards in time, however Relativity says it is possible to travel foreward in time, but to travel foreward in time, we need to also travel through space.

So we can't travel forward in time sitting in the same place.
    Maybe an esoteric question you can ask for yourself, Mole?!

Permabanned

this brings to mind the worst mode of time travel ever envisioned:

warning: facepalm ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    Maybe an esoteric question you can ask for yourself, Mole?!
    I don't quite know what the estoteric question is, kiddykat, but perhaps I am a bit thick.

What I do think is esoteric is Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. They are so esoteric, we find them impossible to imagine.

So rather than puddling around in the esoterica of astrology, mbti, and the New Age, we could immerse ourselves in the real esoterica of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I don't quite know what the estoteric question is, kiddykat, but perhaps I am a bit thick.

What I do think is esoteric is Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. They are so esoteric, we find them impossible to imagine.

So rather than puddling around in the esoterica of astrology, mbti, and the New Age, we could immerse ourselves in the real esoterica of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.
    You seem to be having a difficult time with this. Let me help:
    • The bird flaps it's wings and flies like a bat, it must be one colorful blood sucker.
    • The antelope runs fast like a tiger, it must be a fierce carnivore just like a tiger.
    • The surgeon promises to heal just like the shaman, it must be based on superstition.
    • The scarecrow has a head, 2 legs & 2 arms like a man, it must be self conscious like a man.
    When you attribute the characteristic of Object-A to Object-B based on superficial similarities which are unrelated to the reason behind those characteristics, you are making a strawman argument - "The strawman looks like a man, thus it must be like a man".

You have done this earlier when focusing on the superficial similarity between certain religious beliefs and the premise of quantum teleportation, and you are doing it again right now with regards to astrology & MBTI - both result in personality classification systems subject to the Forer effect, but the false assumptions of astrology isn't that there are different kinds of people, its that we are controlled by the shifting positions of planets as predicted by an ancient calendar system, which as it happens to be, do not align with the observable positions of the planets in our own solar system or any solar system we know of. Can the same be done on the core assumptions of MBTI?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    this brings to mind the worst mode of time travel ever envisioned:

warning: facepalm ahead...
    Eh, that's not the worst. The ones with generic machines that just work are the worst.

This at least uses a poor and incorrect understanding of relativity. Did you know that if you get in a plane and fly east, time slows down more for you than if you fly west? This is due to time dilation from the effect of gravity. In an airplane the difference is nanoseconds, but it's there and has been tested. Time slows down more for you if you fly east because you're going with the spin of the earth which gives you a gravity assist. This is also why rockets going to orbit primarily take off to an eastward trajectory - it gives you more velocity, which conserves fuel for a rocket, but also has the side effect of slowing down time.

Slowing down time is like travelling to the future, so if you were to fly east incredibly fast you could travel forward in time noticeably relative to life on the ground.

So what happens if you fly west really fast? Well. You still go forward in time, just slower than if you go east. But it's fun to think that since it's the opposite direction, it would reverse time.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Einstein traveled into the future decades ago.

Default Logic and Resonance

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    You seem to be having a difficult time with this. Let me help:
    • The bird flaps it's wings and flies like a bat, it must be one colorful blood sucker.
    • The antelope runs fast like a tiger, it must be a fierce carnivore just like a tiger.
    • The surgeon promises to heal just like the shaman, it must be based on superstition.
    • The scarecrow has a head, 2 legs & 2 arms like a man, it must be self conscious like a man.

When you attribute the characteristic of Object-A to Object-B based on superficial similarities which are unrelated to the reason behind those characteristics, you are making a strawman argument - "The strawman looks like a man, thus it must be like a man".
    This is not only clear, it is true.

I am though not trying to make an argument, I am trying to make resonance.

And in not trying to make an argument, I am not bound by the rules of logic.

And to make resonance, I only have to hit the right note, and be in tune.

If I wrote as a literate individual, I would try to make logical arguments.

But as a member of an electronic tribe, called Typology Central, I seek to ring the tribe like a bell.

Arguments will not ring the tribal bell, but listening to the ringing of the bell, following the vibrations, and singing the song electric, will ring the tribal bell for all to hear.

Nerds all of you.

It's probably possible though.