User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Permabanned

While currently hypothetical constructs, if you could spin two wormholes at extremely different speeds, accelerating one into a lower orbit while the other maintaining a slower orbit, one end of the wormhole would be experiencing time slower then the other.

Essentially you created a bridge between two points in time, going further and further apart - when you experience 3:00am, the other wormhole's "clock" would be on 2:59am, going through them would be going 1 minute into the past. the fast spinning wormhole would never be able to go backwards in time, so the furthest back point would still be going forward in time, just at a slower rate. You would certainly not be able to use this to travel to before this gate system was created. But if you continue to accelerate and lower the orbit of the "past" wormhole, you can reach a considerable difference (it would help if you had a very heavy gravity well to be able to hold it at high speeds without it going runaway). I suspect that Since the timelines that where altered never existed, we'd never actually experience going back in time, we would just start getting a ton of shit coming through from futures that never get to happen.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

While a pretty terrible movie, The 6th day with Arnie in it always raised the question of which selves were more true than the others.

The clones are exactly like the people who died, right down to the memory of dying, with the exception of little cysts under the eyelid. But it reminded me of the questionable nature of identity. That was the point of course, if executed as a poor premise to provide action and recycled henchmen.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Human teleportation : no and it's a long shot.
    But I can barely imagine the implications of data teleportation alone.

I'm no expert on this but I do wonder a lot about the validity of it all.
    I read an article about NASA installing a quantum computer at google or vice versa.
    I'm baffled that quantum theory really is becoming that practical. Or is it not ?
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    I read an article about NASA installing a quantum computer at google or vice versa.
    I'm baffled that quantum theory really is becoming that practical. Or is it not ?
    Well, quantum theory is very practical in some sense -- for example, our GPS wouldn't work accurately without it and that's common affordable technology.
    http://physicscentral.com/explore/writers/will.cfm
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Teleportation can be possible by shifting thru alternate realities and bending possibilities without physically transporting the body and the mind.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Teleportation can be possible by shifting thru alternate realities and bending possibilities without physically transporting the body and the mind.
    What, you mean more like Zelazny's reality shifts by the royal family in The Chronicles of Amber, or Heinlein's dimension hopping in "The NUmber of the Beast"?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What, you mean more like Zelazny's reality shifts by the royal family in The Chronicles of Amber, or Heinlein's dimension hopping in "The NUmber of the Beast"?
    I don't know either.

Something like shielding the person in question temporarily from the effects of space-time continium and then switching his reality to a minutely different alternate reality where he's physically at the desired destination.

Edit: Like fine tuning to a radio station.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yeeeeees. However, I am reminded of The Fly. So I'd be veeeeery cautious.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    I understand the common CD player works on Quantum Mechanical principles. And as Quantum Mechanics is our most accurate physical fact, it is no surprise to find it is being used around us all the time. For instance, photosynthesis only works because of Quantum Mechanics. The very air we breath and the food we eat comes from Quantum Mechanics. And even sunlight, which powers photosynthesis, comes from Quantum Mechanics in the Sun.

And a few years ago now the University, just down the road from me, made a Quantum Mechanical switch that worked.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Awesome works... Zelazny can have my babies... But:

Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I don't know either.

Something like shielding the person in question temporarily from the effects of space-time continium and then switching his reality to a minutely different alternate reality where he's physically at the desired destination.

Edit: Like fine tuning to a radio station.
    I wouldn't count on it - the problem is that if M theory is correct, then we aren't actually "in" space, we are space - anything we know as matter and energy is motions and vibrations on the multidimensional membrane of our universe, which is for all intent and purposes one singular object (Also I think you might be getting confused with the idea of a warp bubble, which by it's nature would be limited to travel within our space).

Even if other universes have anything which resembles our space, you wouldn't be able to take a piece from one to the other - it isn't composed of sub-particles that can be separated and poured out like a fluid (If M theory is true, the very existence of particles as individual objects is an illusion). Even if you could, the nature of matter and energy in our own universe are particular characteristics of the membrane's structure (That's how we got to M theory). Another membrane won't likely be arranged in the exact same structure to support the same forms of matter and energy.

What you could hypothetically do, if there's was some way to discover a point of contact between our universe and another, an area of our membrane which touches another membrane, is use... Well, "touch', for an extreme simplification and a lack of a better metaphor.

Assuming they interact in a way which influence each other (Otherwise you wouldn't be able to detect it anyway), we could use whatever ability we'd have to curve space to feel out the other membrane, study it's texture and format, and try to push and pull it in order to manipulate it and create something which resembles us on the other side, or better yet, something that can scout and use that point of contact to transmit information back to us.

Basically, you don't do this:

Instead, you use this affect:

On an accurate enough level to do this:

And hope to god you are able to touch something on the other end, until you see something like this:

If you succeeded, you have found a way for humanity to survive (in pattern) whatever fate awaits our universe.
    If you failed, how many celestial bodies did you mash into black holes to create this experiment anyway? You monster!

(Still, if your goal is to transfer to another universe and then back to ours, I don't think you could get a less efficient form of transportation).