User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    But the "lack" is not what defines it. That's the point. To define by the lack is a problem, IMO.

These buildings - lacking in femininity, yet, suggesting making up for lesser masculinity. So it's more "boyish" than feminine.
    I'd generally say when an adult male is not "acting like a man", he is not acting like a woman either, but a boy.

Don't mean to hijack, but it weirdly applies to these buildings & their aesthetics.
    @OrangeAppled -- leaving out tempting mentions of onnagata, castrati, boys' choirs, Beppo in The Count of Monte Cristo, and the word gamine...

Agreed not to hijack; therefore, nolo contendre. The buildings lack a certain seriousness, a certain rigor. Almost remind me of Puck or, as it were, spiteful sprites, as though they were constructed as a malevolent practical joke--which takes us back to the City Pages quote earlier.

Bowing out now.

"Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    @OrangeAppled -- leaving out tempting mentions of onnagata, castrati, boys' choirs, Beppo in The Count of Monte Cristo, and the word gamine...

Agreed not to hijack; therefore, nolo contendre. The buildings lack a certain seriousness, a certain rigor. Almost remind me of Puck or, as it were, spiteful sprites, as though they were constructed as a malevolent practical joke--which takes us back to the City Pages quote earlier.

Bowing out now.

Those terms mostly denote androgyny &/or being childlike.... not boyishness being feminine.

The buildings are not androgynous, but childlike & boyish, IMO, yes.

Although I think @SD45T-2, you made the point with the quote about the Dicken's villain that perhaps they are lacking a humanity. A lot of modern design gets accused of this, of being "cold", but these might be too comical to correctly call "cold", which is why I refer to them being childish. But low on beauty & over-focusing on structural feats, yes, spot on.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    That bolded part sounds like it came right out of P.J. O'Rourke (cf What Do They Do For Fun In Warsaw? out of Holidays in Hell):

Commies love concrete, but they don't know how to make it. Concrete is a mixture of cement, gravel, and straw? No?
    Gravel, water, and wood pulp? Water, potatoes, and lard? The concrete runway at Warsaw's Miedzynarodowy airport is coming to pieces. From bumpy landing until bumpy take-off, you spend your time in Poland looking at bad concrete. Everything is made of it -- streets, buildings, floors, walls, ceilings, roofs, window frames, lamp posts, statues, benches, plus some of the food, I think. The concrete that hasn't cracked or flaked has crumbled completely. Generations of age and decay seem to be taking place before your eyes.
    I own Holidays in Hell (and several other O'Rourke books) and I almost posted that myself.

In the meantime, to return to the thread topic, I'll see you and raise you one: here is the Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota, at the Southeast corner of the Washington Avenue bridge across the Mississippi River (yes, the Mississippi cuts the campus in half):
    Attachment 11823

To my mind, it looks like a cross between a roll of aluminum foil in the process of being exploded by an M-80, and the cover of Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.
    That is a very peculiar building. I think variety is good and that there is a time and place for stuff like that. Just not everywhere all the time!

Although I think @SD45T-2, you made the point with the quote about the Dicken's villain that perhaps they are lacking a humanity. A lot of modern design gets accused of this, of being "cold", but these might be too comical to correctly call "cold", which is why I refer to them being childish. But low on beauty & over-focusing on structural feats, yes, spot on.
    Yeah, and I thought the rest of article was good too.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Is that the best the could do? Sheesh.

Astana might as well be called Little Dubai or New Vegas.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Totally missed this -- sorry @SD45T-2.

Astana Music Hall looks like Q-Bert, or something:

Besides that, I like that it's mostly all of a similar style. My architecture pet peeve is not when a uniform style is bizarre, but when new buildings completely ignore the pre-existing style of the city. (Example: Frank Gehry)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    The Strange, Post-Soviet Architecture of Astana, Kazakhstan

I can't help but wonder if drugs were involved.
    Wow, some of those are pretty awesome looking. (With a few, wutthe????) Thanks for sharing ^_^.

Why all the negativity? I think most of them are pretty cool. Kinda like a futuristic Athenian look. The extremely bright blue is kind of an eyesore, but tone it down and you got a sweet building.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't like it from an aesthetic standpoint, but I appreciate that creativity was allowed.
    Right, that's exactly how I felt.

Actually, it's a bit of a lie, some of those I liked from an aestetich POV
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Totally missed this -- sorry @SD45T-2.

Astana Music Hall looks like Q-Bert, or something:

Besides that, I like that it's mostly all of a similar style. My architecture pet peeve is not when a uniform style is bizarre, but when new buildings completely ignore the pre-existing style of the city. (Example: Frank Gehry)

I have the same sentiment regarding most of these buildings - beautiful alone, barren in context.