User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by calb View Post
    Well I would think that depending on the personality of the AI, it could end up committing suicide on its own (by its own conclusion).
    They dont understand emotions.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    They dont understand emotions.
    Then what does it mean to think like a human?

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Then what does it mean to think like a human?
    Ha, well Im guessing to think like a human you need flesh.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Ha, well Im guessing to think like a human you need flesh.
    Or emotions that could actually be thinking processes beyond it's own control. Influences/Manipulators.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Or emotions that could actually be thinking processes beyond it's own control. Influences/Manipulators.
    I cant conceive of emotions existing without some physical manifestation of that emotion.

Can you?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I cant conceive of emotions existing without some physical manifestation of that emotion.

Can you?
    when you are sleeping. in your dreams, are you then having a physical emotional manifestation happening? Do you think someone paralyzed does not have emotions?

Socionics
    ILI Ni

when you are sleeping. in your dreams, are you then having a physical emotional manifestation happening? Do you think someone paralyzed does not have emotions?
    I dont know about all that, but you bring up some interesting points.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well I would think that depending on the personality of the AI, it could end up committing suicide on its own (by its own conclusion).
    An AI doesn't have a personality in the same sense humans have. You can program an AI to deal with threats and allow it to evolve upon its existing parameters and allow it to include its own, and you probably have created an AI with the potential of total annihilation. But seriously, who'd create an AI like that, right?

But that is essentially it, every AI that will ever be created will be given a certain power, sure. But it's only on that power that it could ever build upon. No AI would ever end up misfiring neutrons and do something completely unexpected.

The AI's that will be created in the near future would likely be nothing more than sophisticated bots sifting through massive amounts of information, eventually replacing administrative work, they will become the engines of burocracy. But no burocratic AI would ever decide to play with the nuclear launch codes, just because it's bored.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

This just makes me fear human "progress", sometimes I think we need some kind of devastation so the clock gets turned back some thousands of years and we have to revert to for simpler ways of living...

I welcome this decision, though if I had my way, humanoid AIs would not be allowed to be built at all.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Nice try, machines. Trying to figure out how us humans would respond to your inevitable takeover. I'm onto you.

But seriously, I tend to think that it isn't necessarily inevitable that machines will wipe us out. It isn't necessarily inevitable that humans will wipe out all of the pine trees on the planet, but it wouldn't be a thing that we had more of an ethical dilemma over than, say, an oak tree. If we were useful to machines and served a purpose, there wouldn't be a need to wipe us out until we start competing for resources. So I guess it'd be best to make sure to make machines out of stuff that would make them not initially have the same metabolic needs as we do. That should at least delay it for a while. They'll probably still end up taking over, unless they can find a function for our humanity that they can't develop on their own. I tend to imagine sentient machines as being like sociopaths, only with less narcissism. There are still tasks that humans do so much better than machines can. Eyewire, for instance--that game already has an AI that guesses and colors nerve pathways, but the researchers need humans for the precise coloring required to find where the pathways come and go. Until machines are able to think laterally, abstractly, creatively...we still have a purpose. If they ever develop an ethical system of their own, I imagine they'd at least *try* not to kill us off unless we tried to kill them off or threatened their resources.