• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gravity Waves

Mole

Permabanned
For a while gravity waves were an hypothesis, but just yesterday we discovered strong evidence of gravity waves.

And guess where? Not in a deep mine in a pool of mercury, but at the South Pole, looking at the beginning of our universe.

Who knew?

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD

Interesting to note that the XXIst century research may verify the predictions of XXth theories

Not interesting, in fact... but truly EXCITING

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not me, but it's very cool news. To google!

Mole

Permabanned
Not interesting, in fact... but truly EXCITING

Nara is the sister city in Japan of my city, Canberra in Australia. We have a delightful Japanese candlelit festival every year in Canberra.

So I was wondering about the name of your avatar, Nara.

How did you arrive at Nara and what does it mean?

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD
Nara is the sister city in Japan of my city, Canberra in Australia. We have a delightful Japanese candlelit festival every year in Canberra.

So I was wondering about the name of your avatar, Nara.

How did you arrive at Nara and what does it mean?

I've discovered it was a japanese city (with an interesting history) later ! How does this festival looks like ? (sorry, it's off thread)
Nara came from hinduism, Nara is the human side of a deity pair, deeply intertwined with his divine counterpart Narayana.

Nara is linked to Arjuna and Narayana to Krishna, the manifest on the one hand (mortal, impermanent, metamorphosis of the tangible forms) and the Unmanifest (intangible, permanent, organising forces like... the four fundamental forces of nature for instance) on the other.

You find such equivalents in other religious symbolisms, according to traditional studies about "initiation" and the sacred science (if you're interested you should look at René Guénon's works, really thrilling ;) )

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
So does this have any implications ? No offense. Or is this strictly theoretical ? : It confirms the 20th century theories on the big bang. Rapid expansion at the start of the big bang.

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD
It could confirm the predictions based on the theory of general relativity developed by Einstein. Spacetime ripples propagating through space like waves on the water surface have never been detected until now...
And if it's checked (and NOT a premature publication as was the case with the faster-than-light neutrinos :rolleyes: ), it could open a door for the ToE (by harmonizing gravity with quantum physics)

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2014-05

Mole

Permabanned
So does this have any implications ? No offense. Or is this strictly theoretical ? : It confirms the 20th century theories on the big bang. Rapid expansion at the start of the big bang.

I wonder if gravity waves can be harnessed for energy or communication?

Mole

Permabanned
I've discovered it was a japanese city (with an interesting history) later ! How does this festival looks like ?

The Peace Festival of Nara and Canberra is held in a beautiful Japanese garden in the centre of Canberra. The Japanese garden looks out onto Lake Burley Griffin to Black Mountain and the Brindabella Mountains in the distance. It's a popular candlelit festival with a distinct Japanese flavour.

Nara

MBTI Type
WILD
I am interested in OE (Over Excitability) or, as I call it, high response to stimulae.

And in one post you are thrilled and in another you are excited. So I am wondering, do you have a high response to stimulae?

To read of Over Excitability or high response to stimulae click on http://www.sengifted.org/archives/articles/overexcitability-and-the-gifted

Haha, because, ultimately, we're not looking for knowledge only for its sake or for the sake of truth but for the affects it brings ;)

Mole

Permabanned
Haha, because, ultimately, we're not looking for knowledge only for its sake or for the sake of truth but for the affects it brings ;)

I am quite serious. I have found advice on OE to be helpful. And I was wondering, on the off-chance, if you were OE.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was under the impression that gravity waves would put our understanding of quantum physics at a wider divergence.

I could be wrong - admittedly haven't been good about keeping up with this stuff in several years - but I assumed the that finding a mathematical pattern to gravity better than "instant mysterious force" would be useful to physics in general.

F

FigerPuppet

A gravity wave is the unnatural phenomenon of your mother jumping into the pool.

I

Infinite Bubble

It's not that much of a big deal as physicists have sort of assumed gravity waves existed since GR predicted them.

But really, gravitons, just reveal yourselves already!

Mole

Permabanned
What is interesting is that gravity waves can only propagate at the speed of light, while waves in time and space can propagate faster than the speed of light.