User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I don't understand why it matters that Facebook owns it. It sounds awesome for video games. If it works and it's not uncomfortable, I'll probably buy one, as long as it isn't too expensive for something that's designed for entertainment purposes. I wonder what the price will be. I can't say I'd be willing to spend more than $500 for something like this.
    I would assume it is because how people will perceive what will facebook do with it and with the information it collects of people actually using Oculus Rift... the same with when Facebook acquired Whatsapp.

The other issue people seem to have is that it was a public funded campaign to get the thing to work, and now that facebook has essentially bought it, it has become useless to most of the people who funded it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The main issue is that for new technology such as VR to have a possibility of becoming 'the new thing', it relies greatly on being completely open and available to any and all software developers. For such a piece of technology to fall in the hands of a large business with huge self interest, usually means the project is going to fail hard, as access to it will no doubt come with major restrictions to most software developpers. At the very least it will come with increased pricetags.

Luckily there are more VR projects besides the occulus rift being developped as we speak, so not all is lost yet. There is a need for competition in this market if we are to hope for any sort of decent application of the technology in the future.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    The main issue is that for new technology such as VR to have a possibility of becoming 'the new thing', it relies greatly on being completely open and available to any and all software developers. For such a piece of technology to fall in the hands of a large business with huge self interest, usually means the project is going to fail hard, as access to it will no doubt come with major restrictions to most software developpers. At the very least it will come with increased pricetags.

Luckily there are more VR projects besides the occulus rift being developped as we speak, so not all is lost yet. There is a need for competition in this market if we are to hope for any sort of decent application of the technology in the future.
    +1

Hopefully Facebook acts less like Microsoft (with Windows) and more like Google (with Android), but that's uncertain right now and I don't trust Zuckerberg. He is basically the opposite of Elon Musk among tech CEOs.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."