• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Time is twisting

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
2020 is a milestone to me. I think once we hit 2020 the world we live in will look astoundingly, undeniably different (it is still somehow possible for people to deny the ungodly technological progress we are making in 2014).

The amount of change that will take place between now and 2020 is far more than used to take place in hundreds or thousands of years. So in that sense time has slowed WAYYY down. I think this is particularly relevant when looked at in light of looming problems like global warming and robo-apocalypse. People say that global warming will have progressed so-and-so much by 2050... but the amount of change that will take place between now and 2050, again, used to represent thousands of years. Our minds are beginning to have trouble conceiving of that and it can look worrisome. It would be much nicer to think that the problem is thousands of years off, and in a sense it actually is.

As for a nightmare AI scenario, computers are not even close to that level yet and it will take at least several years for them to start seeming like it. Exascale supercomputers are going to be here around 2020 that may be able to fully simulate a mind... but then again, so many other advances will have also occurred.

Then again, many activities still take the same amount of time they ever took, like eating a meal, sleeping, watching a sports match, going for a hike in the woods, etc. It's very odd to live in this world, to me at least, because the future becomes so unpredictable it ceases to be something it makes sense to plan for. I believe this to my core - I am living on savings right now and just spending my days learning things, because I pretty much feel that keeping up with the world is the most sensible thing I can do, despite having no idea how it will become useful.

The idea of spending 8-10 hours a day working at some job disconnected from world events and information seems like sinking underwater. More and more people seem like they are "living under a rock." Even people my age sometimes still don't know about things the savvy have been aware of for years. You don't know about 3d printers? Holy shit, where have you been? The funny thing about that is that I have never even seen a 3d printer but my excitement over them peaked a long time ago. Now they are old hat. These days the possibilities I'm excited about aren't quite as tangible... I often find that I want to go and tell people what is about to happen to the world but I can't do so in a way that even remotely does it justice. For instance, I've told people that I don't believe I am going to ever die, and they simply think I'm a lunatic despite my explanations. Even that is just the tiniest tip of the iceberg.

This stuff will go mainstream eventually, and I wonder how the world will change. I also wonder what sort of position it will put me in, having known about and gotten used to these ideas a long time ago.

What say you?

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The future of 3D printing: would you download a car? Sure!

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That would make me ahead of my time. Never wanted one.

"One of those old things? Pretty, but I'm certainly not paying for it...you know."

@Time, I see you in the browsing users. I have expectations.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm almost ready to get rid of my car, especially considering 1. how much insurance costs, 2. how easy it is to hitch rides from city to city on craigslist.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
3. The exercise benefits of walking constantly. Not intense, but it adds up. It's also a more intimate way to exist in one's surroundings, easier to stop, zero in on their details and explore.

W

WhoCares

Personally I find it odd cars, aeroplanes, and other mechanical means of transport are still relevant in 2014. It seems puzzling to me that I can put a computer powerful enough to run my entire life in my jeans pocket but we still haven't solved the problem of bilocation yet. Why do we have to battle gravity, drag, weight and lift to get our sorry arses from one side of the planet to the other? Why have we mapped the human genome but failed to find a source of energy other than oil. We truly are a stupid species....

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Solar is doubling in effectiveness every 2 years, at that rate it will power the globe in 15.

Some technologies seem to outpace others. Communication and medicine aren't surprising choices for things we are most advanced in.

It is kind of nutty that we still boil water for most of our energy.. I'm sure it won't be long though.

Speaking of water, how about desalination? Graphene is predicted to hit commercial markets around 2020, which will be big for desal. It might be most pathetic of all that we can't use the oceans for drinking water yet.... but again, this is soon to change. And what a relief that will be.

Alea_iacta_est

Solar is doubling in effectiveness every 2 years, at that rate it will power the globe in 15.

Some technologies seem to outpace others. Communication and medicine aren't surprising choices for things we are most advanced in.

It is kind of nutty that we still boil water for most of our energy.. I'm sure it won't be long though.

Speaking of water, how about desalination? Graphene is predicted to hit commercial markets around 2020, which will be big for desal. It might be most pathetic of all that we can't use the oceans for drinking water yet.... but again, this is soon to change. And what a relief that will be.

If you think Graphene will be revolutionary, then you haven't seen Carbyne.
http://www.kurzweilai.net/new-one-dimensional-form-of-carbon-may-be-the-strongest-material-ever

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
If you think Graphene will be revolutionary, then you haven't seen Carbyne.
http://www.kurzweilai.net/new-one-dimensional-form-of-carbon-may-be-the-strongest-material-ever

Oh I've seen it. Super excited for it. And there's more. Stanene is going to be amazing. They have even come up with 3d topological insulators that will be more efficient at conducting current than graphene and may have applications in spintronics. Sodium bismuthate is an example but that is very preliminary.