123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Merging Machine with Mind - could there be a bridge between Technology and the Soul?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point

I see the mind as already being a machine of sorts, since it integrates information from external contexts for processing and presentation, much like a computer does from user input to feedback.

But what about the big topics, such as Transhumanism, a Technological Singularity, or the Omega Point? Should our minds really be mechanically enhanced to further our evolution?

My best guess is that we should keep on upgrading our machines, but for us to actually become part machine, or to rely on machines for decisive schemata would take away much of the human spirit. A sufficiently advanced being in my opinion will have transcended the physical anyway, and as such would have no need for mechanical enhancements, although technology may be what spurs us onward towards those higher levels of existential mastery.

I'm wondering, in regards to the shifting tech narrative, about what the potential implications the nature of technology could hold in store for our souls.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Point

I see the mind as already being a machine of sorts, since it integrates information from external contexts for processing and presentation, much like a computer does from user input to feedback.

But what about the big topics, such as Transhumanism, a Technological Singularity, or the Omega Point? Should our minds really be mechanically enhanced to further our evolution?

My best guess is that we should keep on upgrading our machines, but for us to actually become part machine, or to rely on machines for decisive schemata would take away much of the human spirit. A sufficiently advanced being in my opinion will have transcended the physical anyway, and as such would have no need for mechanical enhancements, although technology may be what spurs us onward towards those higher levels of existential mastery.

I'm wondering, in regards to the shifting tech narrative, about what the potential implications the nature of technology could hold in store for our souls.
    I don't think it's truly possible to upload somebody's mind to a different vessel and still have it act the same way or be regulated in the same way (now it may be possible to upload somebody's consciousness to a mechanical vessel, but would it be exactly the same consciousness after the transfer?).

For instance, would a paranoid schizophrenic who somehow was miraculously convinced to upload his mind to a computer built to hold a human mind still be schizophrenic when he was placed in the computer? I think not, for schizophrenia is the lack of communication between parts of the brain, and having the entire consciousness uploaded to the computer would allow the isolated sides to become whole again, but it leaves me questioning whether the schizophrenic would still be the same person he was before he was uploaded. His mind wouldn't be deluded anymore, for every part of his consciousness would be reunited in the machine. Therefore, would he be the same person? His entire outlook on everything has changed from the mere integration to a computer, and are we not shaped as people by our experiences and knowledge?

An even more interesting note: What would happen if we uploaded the entire consciousness of someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder, i.e. someone with split personalities? Would the personalities happily merge into one? Or would something spectacular and fascinating happen, each personality claims a part of the hard drive space and isolates itself from the other data/personalities? So many possibilities yet so much speculation without any empirical evidence.

Furthermore, we might be able to speculate that when people are uploaded to a machine, they lose their true spark. How would a computer mimic biochemical reactions in the brain, and if it could, would it still feel the same? What entirely is the point then of uploading a man to a machine if the man will not truly be the same man after the transfer? Immortality? What is the point of immortality if one is a computer that has access to everything and merely runs calculations?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I don't think it's truly possible to upload somebody's mind to a different vessel and still have it act the same way or be regulated in the same way (now it may be possible to upload somebody's consciousness to a mechanical vessel, but would it be exactly the same consciousness after the transfer?).
    Yup, computerized consciousness probably wouldn't have quite the same "life-force" as the real sentient being, but I don't see why consciousness would have to be transferred like the cut-and-paste option on our computers; realize that there's also a copy command, so it could have clones.

For instance, would a paranoid schizophrenic who somehow was miraculously convinced to upload his mind to a computer built to hold a human mind still be schizophrenic when he was placed in the computer? I think not, for schizophrenia is the lack of communication between parts of the brain, and having the entire consciousness uploaded to the computer would allow the isolated sides to become whole again, but it leaves me questioning whether the schizophrenic would still be the same person he was before he was uploaded. His mind wouldn't be deluded anymore, for every part of his consciousness would be reunited in the machine. Therefore, would he be the same person? His entire outlook on everything has changed from the mere integration to a computer, and are we not shaped as people by our experiences and knowledge?
    Simulated personality disorders would be interesting, but whether or not the computer would just be acting it out (or even playing it like a movie), we don't know if it would really feel the effects itself.

An even more interesting note: What would happen if we uploaded the entire consciousness of someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder, i.e. someone with split personalities? Would the personalities happily merge into one? Or would something spectacular and fascinating happen, each personality claims a part of the hard drive space and isolates itself from the other data/personalities? So many possibilities yet so much speculation without any empirical evidence.
    You seem as of now to understand the implications here better than I do, and I agree that there's a lot of codes out there which we have yet to crack.

Furthermore, we might be able to speculate that when people are uploaded to a machine, they lose their true spark. How would a computer mimic biochemical reactions in the brain, and if it could, would it still feel the same? What entirely is the point then of uploading a man to a machine if the man will not truly be the same man after the transfer? Immortality? What is the point of immortality if one is a computer that has access to everything and merely runs calculations?
    I guess you elegantly summed up in this last paragraph my major points to your post - you've done well.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I always wondered, which personality they would choose to fit into the machine and what if they try to fit too many and the machine becomes schizophrenic.

WALMART

I once dreamt I was hurtling through space under accord of my own body.

My mind is fine.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I always wondered, which personality they would choose to fit into the machine and what if they try to fit too many and the machine becomes schizophrenic.
    Implying schizophrenia = dissociative personality disorder.

Right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    Implying schizophrenia = dissociative personality disorder.

Right?
    Yeah, the new name, or multiple personality disorder.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Yeah, the new name, or multiple personality disorder.
    That's not what Schizophrenia is though. : /

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Nights and Days View Post
    That's not what Schizophrenia is though. : /
    Alrite, inform me then

edit: I thought it was one in the same, but now I see the difference. thanks for informing me.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's just like working in an office complex!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.