• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on coming artificial super intelligence [ASI]

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Most estimates seem to point to artificial general intelligence [AGI] around 2030 (vaguely). ASI wouldn't be too far behind.. perhaps only a few years. Then again, some say AGI could happen within the decade.

That, whether I like it or not, is a scary idea. I'm definitely a techno-optimist, but the notion of sentient machines a billion times smarter than us, at least as we are now, is not so desirable. I don't think we are ready.

Many don't think we will be ready whenever the time comes, should it be in the next few decades. It almost boils down to a race between our stewardship and our technology. So far on this planet, I think the 2 have kept a fairly even pace. It is certainly easy to imagine, however, scenarios in which the technology runs away before our conscientiousness.

Kurzweil predicts 2029 for AGI. Would you feel safe at that date? The first thing we should consider before immediately saying "too soon" is how much the rest of the world minus AI will have changed by then. The answer is, more than you can imagine. I know it's only 15 years away now, but if the exponential trends of Moore's law and domains accelerating like it keep pace, we will see about the same amount of change as was seen in the entire 20th century in that 15 years. Staggering, of course.

At the current rate, it is predicted that absolute poverty will have vanished from our globe by 2030, as we are helped by biotech, nanotech, non-sentient AI, etc. Our interconnectedness, I think, increases the rate of our development in stewardship as much as it does technology. Countries like China and India, and much of Africa, are now internet connected--ideas can no longer be stopped, virtually anywhere. And what will the internet look like in 10 years? 15? Devices themselves will have all become linked, forming the rapidly growing "internet of things" that will, among many other uses, cut down massively on waste and inefficiency.

I'm also beginning to think that by 2029, it will be common to enhance both mood and intelligence, both by taking improved anti-depressants (for want of a better term) and by the growing demand for gene therapy and even designer babies. Designer babies are already here, legal, and ready to begin the process of turning evolution from blind to seeing and rationally guided. As for the drugs, just wait for what's around the corner. Modafinil is only the beginning. Lastly, today's smartphones will have morphed into something far more ubiquitous, seemlessly woven into our lives and interacting with us at the speed of thought itself.

So I don't think things are hopeless, as many do. It looks like this may all be leading to a merger. People often seem to believe that ASI and biological humans will exist separate with one another, but I'm not so sure that's how things will go. It's almost as if the singularity is already here. Even what will happen in 5-10 years has become anyone's guess. There is such an interplay between the various fields of technology that it becomes impossible to know how one will affect the other and vice versa. For all I know, and half expect, humans will more and more abandon the physical world in favor of the virtual. That kind of diminishes the need for a lot of things, including a lot of robots (but not necessarily AI).

Check this out. Looks like Second Life is going next generation with voxels, which I suppose are 3d pixels, kind of. Anyway, there is less and less reason to leave the house as time passes. The utility, diversity, and realism of the online world are growing exponentially.

I could go on, I suppose. Overall I think this is without a doubt the most important conversation going on in the world, because it not only is going to dominate future events, but our existence depends on it. It's GOING to happen, there is no stopping, no going back. The question is, can we accept that and deal with it appropriately, before it's too late?

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION] I'm alright with Artificial intelligence being implemented, just not in a corporeal form (I've played chess on master difficulty against the computer way too many times to want that monster to roam around and calculate scenarios to its advantage).

The main thing I'm concerned over is if we are going to make it to 2030 without having a heavy nuclear incident. If we can reach 2030, we have a much higher chance of solving international conflicts due to new technologies and systems implemented by AIs. Another thing to be concerned over is should AI be given human rights? Such as rights to privacy, assembly, speech (including press), and the right to bear arms (which could already be manufactured into the being itself).

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=4489]zago[/MENTION] I'm alright with Artificial intelligence being implemented, just not in a corporeal form (I've played chess on master difficulty against the computer way too many times to want that monster to roam around and calculate scenarios to its advantage).

The main thing I'm concerned over is if we are going to make it to 2030 without having a heavy nuclear incident. If we can reach 2030, we have a much higher chance of solving international conflicts due to new technologies and systems implemented by AIs. Another thing to be concerned over is should AI be given human rights? Such as rights to privacy, assembly, speech (including press), and the right to bear arms (which could already be manufactured into the being itself).

I am definitely also frightened by another world war... if it gets as passionate as WWII we could be really fucked. But honestly who fucking knows what would happen? My guess is that some seriously badass technology would show up and perhaps wreak havoc. I am partially soothed by my belief that the decrease in scarcity and increase in connectedness worldwide will make diplomacy easier.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The said thing is that I am majoring in information science right now and I will probably have a helping hand in creating this stuff.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
The said thing is that I am majoring in information science right now and I will probably have a helping hand in creating this stuff.

It could be sad, I suppose. I don't think it can be helped... you are who you are. What else would you do? The good news is, you could help bring the great benefits this stuff comes along with.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It could be sad, I suppose. I don't think it can be helped... you are who you are. What else would you do? The good news is, you could help bring the great benefits this stuff comes along with.

Just don't get melodramatic and turn into Oppenheimer when the deed is done.
"I am become death, destroyer of worlds."

I don't give a shit what happens. Just as long as I make a lot of money.

Alea_iacta_est

But seriously, I want to expand more on AI.

Would it be wise or ignorant to withhold human rights to an artificial intelligence?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
But seriously, I want to expand more on AI.

Would it be wise or ignorant to withhold human rights to an artificial intelligence?

I find it very hard to answer that question because it depends on so many things. I have no idea what the AI would be like in the first place. What would it be programmed to do? How similar to humans will it be? How far in the future are we talking and what will life be like? All I can say is that it kinda reminds me of Battlestar Galactica and Caprica lol. My hope is still more of a merger. I personally have no objection to becoming a cyborg... and I assume I'll retain my rights if I do so?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Here are my thoughts:

The existence of a religious belief in AI (and the coming 'singularity) in tech circles is yet another thing that just goes to show that people with the "theorist" temperament are often not really as 'rational' as they claim to be.

For more background on why that's my opinion, see:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/opinion/09lanier.html?_r=0
What exactly makes a belief in AI religious? Is it that it is a prediction about the future?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What exactly makes a belief in AI religious? Is it that it is a prediction about the future?

Kurzweil is less of a futurist and more of an evangelist. I personally don't think AI is an impossible thing, but I believe that the achievement of it will be much longer coming and somewhat less impactful as he thinks.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kurzweil is less of a futurist and more of an evangelist. I personally don't think AI is an impossible thing, but I believe that the achievement of it will be much longer coming and somewhat less impactful as he thinks.

You'd fit in well at INTPcentral. Just saying. I can't really argue with you about the latter part. It's the future. Who knows?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
AI will come before 2029