• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

1 = 2

Alea_iacta_est

[MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] regarding 1=2

When you divide by zero, anything is possible.

Hence me saying, "Highly Amusing"

Technically, if one were to divide 1 by 0, the result would be infinite, for 0 can go into 1 an infinite amount of times (because infinite never ends, it would actually work). However, it is a paradoxical infinite because you cannot divide 1 by infinite to get 0. I saw this a long time ago, and I found the same discrepancies. I just wanted to share it with you guys to spark some mathematical debate.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Technically, if one were to divide 1 by 0, the result would be infinite, for 0 can go into 1 an infinite amount of times (because infinite never ends, it would actually work). However, it is a paradoxical infinite because you cannot divide 1 by infinite to get 0. I saw this a long time ago, and I found the same discrepancies. I just wanted to share it with you guys to spark some mathematical debate.

In this case, you're multiplying both sides by zero, THEN dividing by zero, so you're not dividing one by zero, but zero by zero.

0*x = 0*y for all x and all y.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

In this case, you're multiplying both sides by zero, THEN dividing by zero, so you're not dividing one by zero, but zero by zero.

0*x = 0*y for all x and all y.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE

Technically, if one were to divide 0 by 0, as is shown in step 5 of the first post, you wouldn't get infinite. It would simply be undefined.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My high school math teacher used to tell us things like:

1 + 1 = 1
Add 1 pile of sand to 1 pile of sand. The result: 1 pile of sand.

2 1/2 != 5/2
If you have 2 1/2 cats, the 1/2 is obviously dead, but the 2 might be alive and need food, water, vet visits, playtime, etc. If you have five half cats, by contrast, they are all dead.

ygolo

My termites win
[MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION]
That was indeed the point. We pick one version and stay consistent, or we will have trouble.

That's why I added some generalizations of the misleading "proofs". Here, instead of two choices, we'd have n.

I believe the "error" is the swapping order of taking something to the n-th power and the n-th root. This is not something that can generally be done. sqrt(x^2)=/=sqrt(x)^2 unless x is positive.

ygolo

My termites win
This one is kinda silly and easy to spot the error, but it makes for a good joke...

A logic professor teaches a Tuesday Thursday class, and says at the end of class on Thursday he'll give an a "surprise" in class exam the following week. (He's a bastard).

Reasoning that if the exam will be given on Thursday, they would be able to deduce it on Tuesday, and it won't be a surprise, the students rule out that day.

But, again, they know it's on Tuesday now, so that won't be a surprise. The students conclude that this was just a way the professor was getting them to use their powers of deduction, and that there really won't be a surprise exam.

The students were then surprised by the exam when it occurred.

G

garbage

Reasoning that if the exam will be given on Thursday, they would be able to deduce it on Tuesday, and it won't be a surprise, the students rule out that day.

But, again, they know it's on Tuesday now, so that won't be a surprise. The students conclude that this was just a way the professor was getting them to use their powers of deduction, and that there really won't be a surprise exam.
Conclusion: the students should probably just drop the course before it wrecks their GPA. They may also consider switching majors.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + ... = -1/12

Saw a video today which reminded me of this little gem:

null_zpsac065b51.jpg

The issues that underlie the problems with this proof are complex, shall we say. I don't want to string you guys along, but since some of you are rather analytic, continuation of this sort of cryptic verbiage will likely be welcomed. ;)

ygolo

My termites win
The issues that underlie the problems with this proof are complex, shall we say. I don't want to string you guys along, but since some of you are rather analytic, continuation of this sort of cryptic verbiage will likely be welcomed. ;)

LOL. Do you think we would ever converge on an understanding, or is there something absolutely incoherent in this "proof"?

G

garbage

Here's (1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + ...); smashed together with Zeno's paradox in a conceptual PB&J sandwich except the PB&J sandwich itself is actually a black hole or something

G

Ginkgo

Here's (1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + ...); smashed together with Zeno's paradox in a conceptual PB&J sandwich except the PB&J sandwich itself is actually a black hole or something

Hah, I've seen variations of the OPs paradox and Zeno's paradox, but I never would have thought to synthesize them.

xisnotx

Permabanned
This one is kinda silly and easy to spot the error, but it makes for a good joke...

A logic professor teaches a Tuesday Thursday class, and says at the end of class on Thursday he'll give an a "surprise" in class exam the following week. (He's a bastard).

The students were then surprised by the exam when it occurred.
Were you in my advanced logic class? My professor used this exact thing on us. Seriously, exactly the same...including the days.

The test was on Thursday....so there's your answer.
Conclusion: the students should probably just drop the course before it wrecks their GPA. They may also consider switching majors.
Thanks for telling me....3 years late.