User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Dark Matter

Infinite Bubble

Default Dark Matter

Hello brethren

Here is a question: what do you believe dark matter is?

And what is the mechanism of dark matter and it in conjunction with dark energy?

Clearly dark matter has an extremely important role within the universe.

Some hypothesize that it is antimatter, some think gravitons, or supersymmetric particles, some even think god...

We want to know what you think.

Look, there's also a colourful graph here!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Maybe dark matter is part of the aether, or some other kind of place beyond the mundane. It could also connect with with "negative (or exotic) matter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_matter

My best guess is that it's the "spiritual/metaphysical" part of existence we have yet to find.

Socionics
    ILI

I've thought that perhaps dark matter is essentially mass, or what causes the property of mass and gravity, that dark matter is just the macro-equivalent of the Higgs Boson. I agree with the thought that gravitrons could be the make-up of dark matter, for I have had dark matter explained to me by a physicist as the type of matter that holds regular matter together, such as the protons in a nucleus that should repel away from each other.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Maybe dark matter is part of the aether, or some other kind of place beyond the mundane. It could also connect with with "negative (or exotic) matter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_matter
    Yeah, maybe aether, but that terminology simply invites further investigation.

I was thinking it was exotic matter of sorts, perhaps of all different kinds. So dark matter is merely a set of matter that is beyond us.

Akin to how we can only perceive a minute percentage of light wavelengths.

My best guess is that it's the "spiritual/metaphysical" part of existence we have yet to find.
    It could be sort of like giant telephone wires that connects everything somehow over vast distances. Even connections to other dimensions like you're describing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I've thought that perhaps dark matter is essentially mass, or what causes the property of mass and gravity, that dark matter is just the macro-equivalent of the Higgs Boson.
    That seems reasonable. Although, it seems to be set out in giant strings sprawled across the universe in giant web-like formations. Assuming this is true, then there would be 'more' mass and gravity in some parts than others.

I agree with the thought that gravitrons could be the make-up of dark matter, for I have had dark matter explained to me by a physicist as the type of matter that holds regular matter together, such as the protons in a nucleus that should repel away from each other.
    Wait, that would mean it'd be the mediator of strong interaction...

But that's known to be gluons.

Gravitons is probably the most realistic guess though.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

There is no dark matter.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post

Wait, that would mean it'd be the mediator of strong interaction...

But that's known to be gluons.

Gravitons is probably the most realistic guess though.
    My physicist friend, who I have not spoken to in a while, was designing a way to prove G.U.T (Strong + Electromagnetism + Weak). I'm not sure how far he got with it though.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    There is no dark matter.
    How intriguing! Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    My physicist friend, who I have not spoken to in a while, was designing a way to prove G.U.T (Strong + Electromagnetism + Weak). I'm not sure how far he got with it though.
    Ah...

As the three forces are measured on ever higher energy levels, it is shown that graphically the lines never meet, e.i. not equal. But they can, but only can, if supersymmetry is proven to be a real construct.

So he's probably finding a way to prove supersymmetry or something.

It's interesting as to why gravity can't be included. Sigh, we know nothing really.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

How intriguing! Can you elaborate?
    How can I elaborate on nothing? Anyway, astronomical anomalies can be explained other ways. And the statement that Dark Matter exists in the present is ludicrous, since those evidences are millions of light years away.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    How can I elaborate on nothing? Anyway, astronomical anomalies can be explained other ways. And the statement that Dark Matter exists in the present is ludicrous, since those evidences are millions of light years away.
    By elaborating on why you think there's nothing. Obviously there's something there though. The general consensus is that around 85% cent of the universe's matter is Dark, and its existence can be measured by its effects on other objects in the universe.

The equations state that if dark matter didn't exist, matter on a large scale wouldn't have clumped together to create galaxies and the like. So it makes sense to believe it's gravitons. Its effects seem to be too great to be considered part of an anomaly.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

By elaborating on why you think there's nothing. Obviously there's something there though. The general consensus is that around 85% cent
    What does "85% cent" mean?

of the universe's matter is Dark, and its existence can be measured by its effects on other objects in the universe.
    All you're saying is that someone observed a contradiction of an accepted law of nature (e.g., gravity), and in order to preserve that law of nature (e.g., gravity), it was necessary to invent a hypothetical form of matter possessing whatever property (e.g., gravity) is required to explain the contradiction.

Why? Because "the consensus" in the scientific community cannot accept that it might be wrong.

The equations state that if dark matter didn't exist, matter on a large scale wouldn't have clumped together to create galaxies and the like. So it makes sense to believe it's gravitons. Its effects seem to be too great to be considered part of an anomaly.
    - a graviton has never been detected - moreover, it's not a choice of either "dark matter" or "anomaly" (or coincidence or random chance or...) -

But not every astronomer is satisfied with this interpretation. Some, like Stacy McGaugh at the University of Maryland, College Park, believe that the definition of dark matter is so slippery that it is impossible to prove or disprove. Researchers might be able rule out the existence of any specific conjectured form of dark matter particles, but "we cannot falsify the concept, so if one fails, we are free to make up another," says McGaugh. "This cycle can be endless — as long as we're convinced as a community that it has to be dark matter, we won't take alternatives seriously, but we can never be disabused of the concept of dark matter.

Exactly. It's the same mind-set that led to the creation of Ptolemaic Cycles. Observed contradictions of geocentric cosmology did not prevent the "consensus" from questioning it for over 1,300 years.