User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Dark Matter

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    What does "85% cent" mean?

All you're saying is that someone observed a contradiction of an accepted law of nature (e.g., gravity), and in order to preserve that law of nature (e.g., gravity), it was necessary to invent a hypothetical form of matter possessing whatever property (e.g., gravity) is required to explain the contradiction.

Why? Because "the consensus" in the scientific community cannot accept that it might be wrong.

It's not a choice of either "dark matter" or "anomaly" (or coincidence or random chance or...) - a graviton has never been detected - moreover,

But not every astronomer is satisfied with this interpretation. Some, like Stacy McGaugh at the University of Maryland, College Park, believe that the definition of dark matter is so slippery that it is impossible to prove or disprove. Researchers might be able rule out the existence of any specific conjectured form of dark matter particles, but "we cannot falsify the concept, so if one fails, we are free to make up another," says McGaugh. "This cycle can be endless — as long as we're convinced as a community that it has to be dark matter, we won't take alternatives seriously, but we can never be disabused of the concept of dark matter.

Exactly. It's the same mind-set that led to the creation of Ptolemaic Cycles. Observed contradictions of geocentric cosmology did not prevent the "consensus" from questioning it for over 1,300 years.
    The only reason we have a concept for dark matter is because we can't explain the space-time warping when we gaze far enough out into the universe, such as seeing an identical entity twice, one right next to the other. Methinks that the cause of this may be that the ancient light from the entity may graze past a huge black hole, causing a distortion when only part of the light from an entity is warped instead of all the light, giving us two very similar images of the same entity.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    The only reason we have a concept for dark matter is because we can't explain the space-time warping when we gaze far enough out into the universe, such as seeing an identical entity twice, one right next to the other. Methinks that the cause of this may be that the ancient light from the entity may graze past a huge black hole, causing a distortion when only part of the light from an entity is warped instead of all the light, giving us two very similar images of the same entity.
    Gravitational lensing is well understood. The anomaly that led to the creation of Dark Matter theory involves the speed at which the outer part of a galactic disk actually rotates versus how fast it is supposed to rotate according to gravitational theory.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Infinite Bubble

What does "85% cent" mean?
    According to the Planck mission team, and based on the standard model of cosmology, the total mass–energy of the known universe contains 4.9% ordinary matter, 26.8% dark matter and 68.3% dark energy. Thus, dark matter is estimated to constitute 84.5% of the total matter in the universe and 26.8% of the total content of the universe.

I didn't go as specific as '84.5%' since people seem to hate being given percentages but there you go.

Yeah it can't be directly observed so it can't be completely proven, but it's probably the best theory for filling the gap.

All you're saying is that someone observed a contradiction of an accepted law of nature (e.g., gravity), and in order to preserve that law of nature (e.g., gravity), it was necessary to invent a hypothetical form of matter possessing whatever property (e.g., gravity) is required to explain the contradiction.
    It was probably not as simple as that.

Why? Because "the consensus" in the scientific community cannot accept that it might be wrong.
    Of course they are open to it being wrong. Why wouldn't they be?

- a graviton has never been detected - moreover, it's not a choice of either "dark matter" or "anomaly" (or coincidence or random chance or...) -

But not every astronomer is satisfied with this interpretation. Some, like Stacy McGaugh at the University of Maryland, College Park, believe that the definition of dark matter is so slippery that it is impossible to prove or disprove. Researchers might be able rule out the existence of any specific conjectured form of dark matter particles, but "we cannot falsify the concept, so if one fails, we are free to make up another," says McGaugh. "This cycle can be endless — as long as we're convinced as a community that it has to be dark matter, we won't take alternatives seriously, but we can never be disabused of the concept of dark matter.

Exactly. It's the same mind-set that led to the creation of Ptolemaic Cycles. Observed contradictions of geocentric cosmology did not prevent the "consensus" from questioning it for over 1,300 years.
    Scientists have actually been able to map clouds of dark matter in our galaxy using methods explained here:

http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2013/0...-really-exist/

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    According to the Planck mission team, and based on the standard model of cosmology, the total mass–energy of the known universe contains 4.9% ordinary matter, 26.8% dark matter and 68.3% dark energy. Thus, dark matter is estimated to constitute 84.5% of the total matter in the universe and 26.8% of the total content of the universe.

It was probably not as simple as that.

Of course they are open to it being wrong.

Scientists have actually been able to map clouds of dark matter in our galaxy using methods explained here:

http://www.quantumdiaries.org/2013/0...-really-exist/
    I know, I've been looking into it for years. And its 85% not "85% cent." Yes I know it's more complicated than that. However, the theory arose from the attempt to explain the revolution of galaxies and it now includes gravitational lensing effects. And the mapping only shows the effect of something, not the cause of it.

Infinite Bubble

I know, I've been looking into it for years. And its 85% not "85% cent." Yes I know it's more complicated than that. However, the theory arose from the attempt to explain the revolution of galaxies and it now includes gravitational lensing effects. And the mapping only shows the effect of something, not the cause of it.
    Well, sorry if I annoyed you.

We'll just have to wait until whatever it is can be directly observable, but dark matter seems to be the best explanation right now at least.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well, sorry if I annoyed you.

We'll just have to wait until whatever it is can be directly observable, but dark matter seems to be the best explanation right now at least.
    How do you know if it's the best explanation?

Infinite Bubble

How do you know if it's the best explanation?
    I don't, but it seems to be. I can even add "IMO" if you like.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I don't, but it seems to be. I can even add "IMO" if you like.
    'IMHO' would be better.

Infinite Bubble

'IMHO' would be better.
    Yours is also an opinion...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Yours is also an opinion...
    And what would that be?