User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'd up the watts if it's possible and definately go for the XFi for sound card, but it looks good ^_^. I'm slowly aquiring external stuff so I can do some recording on my rig.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    It's about a $10 difference between 4gb and 3gb, might as well get 4gb.
    Of course more RAM is always better and very inexpensive right now but in order to make use of all 4 Gigs you will have to use a 64 bit OS. A 32 bit OS will not recognize more than 3 Gigs of RAM. Is that 4th unnecessary Gig of RAM worth having to deal with poor driver support?

Go with 3 Gigs and 32bit XP and avoid the headaches of trying to find 64 bit drivers and Vista's mess. If you try to install 4 Gigs of RAM with a 32 bit Windows it will either crash or not recognize the 4th Gig in which case you've wasted money.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I'd up the watts if it's possible and definately go for the XFi for sound card, but it looks good ^_^. I'm slowly aquiring external stuff so I can do some recording on my rig.
    A 500 watt PS is also gross overkill for that box.

Ars Technica System Guide: May 2008 Edition: Page 3

The Ars Technica Hot Rod is far more powerful than the OPs box and only uses a 330 watt PS. A high wattage PS is only necessary if you are going to run SLI or Crossfire video cards or have a lot of drives, dual CPUs or something that's going to consume a lot of power.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Of course more RAM is always better and very inexpensive right now but in order to make use of all 4 Gigs you will have to use a 64 bit OS. A 32 bit OS will not recognize more than 3 Gigs of RAM. Is that 4th unnecessary Gig of RAM worth having to deal with poor driver support?
    Having the 4th gig doesn't mean you have to use a 64 bit OS, it just means that it won't do anything until you do. However....I'd say it's worth it, Windows 7 will be out relatively soon, and I'd expect that 64 bit will become the standard then.

It all depends on the manufacturer/model, and the distribution of that power. There are 500 watt PS's that I wouldn't trust running a Pentium III. Go look up anything by Powmax (they do what their name implies ).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

4Gb works in 32bit it just doesn't say it does on the OS. There is a regitry fix to let it display the extra RAM. However huge amounts of RAM is usually a waste unless you're running really intensive stuff. I ran Vista 64bit with 8Gb of RAM and it only ever used 6Gb even whilst running torture tests.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually a lot depends upon who's PSU you're talking about. Theirs is a Seasonic and that's about the top make in the game. With a cheaper manufacturer it's often best to put more headroom into it. Besides the wattage is a maximum not it's running wattage. They all scale as far as I know so even a 1000W PSU will reduce down to a 330W if that's all you're using.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    They all scale as far as I know so even a 1000W PSU will reduce down to a 330W if that's all you're using.
    Correct, and efficiency is typically best at around 50% of rated load, so "overkill" isn't a problem.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    4Gb works in 32bit it just doesn't say it does on the OS. There is a regitry fix to let it display the extra RAM. However huge amounts of RAM is usually a waste unless you're running really intensive stuff. I ran Vista 64bit with 8Gb of RAM and it only ever used 6Gb even whilst running torture tests.
    Could you elaborate on that (and give a link or instructions)?

It was my understanding that it was a mathematical limitation of 32-bit operating systems in how they addressed memory. When I made my new system, I went with 4Gb even though I planned to use (and am using) Vista 32 because even an extra half gig of memory seemed worth it for potential gaming benefit (and having it in place if/when I switch to a 64 bit OS is good too). If there is a simple easy way to get more out of what I have, that would be great, but I'd also like to know the how of the workaround as everything I've read makes it sound like the most you can squeeze out of it even in good circumstances on a 32 bit OS is around 3Gb.

As to the original question, I can't add much more that has not already been said, looks like a good built to me for what you plan to use it for.