User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    xxTP

Default Extrovert, Introvert Children Not Equally Influenced by Plate Size

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1125164741.htm

Extrovert, Introvert Children Not Equally Influenced by Plate Size

Nov. 25, 2013 — As dish size increases, so do portion size and the amount of food actually eaten -- but could personality traits play a role in how susceptible people are to this plate-size bias? New research by the Cornell Food and Brand Lab indicates that extraverted and introverted children respond differently to environmental cues, such as plate size, when it comes to portion control.
    Share This:

Researchers examined the breakfast behaviors of kids, ages 6 to 10, in a within-subject study. First, adults served breakfast: after being given a large bowl kids indicated how much milk and cereal they wanted for breakfast, and the adults served them accordingly. Next, on a different day, the children were in charge: they were given a large or a small bowl, but they then served themselves as much as they wanted.

To determine each child's personality type, four teachers and counselors rated each child's degree of introversion and extraversion on a scale of 1 to 9. Researchers used the average of these scores to classify each child as an introvert or an extravert. To measure the amount of food children asked for or served themselves, researchers weighed each student's serving through scales hidden in the table. The serving sizes were then compared for introverts and extraverts.

When serving themselves, extraverted kids were far more likely to be impacted by the size of the bowl; they served a heaping 33.1% more breakfast in the large bowl, compared to introverted kids who only served themselves 5.6% more when bowl size increased. This indicates that the extraverted kids were more influenced by the external cue of bowl-size than introverted kids were. This benefit for introverted kids, however, is only present when serving themselves; when served by adults, all kids requested more cereal to fill up the the large bowl than the small bowl.

Extraverted children appear to be highly influenced by environmental cues when serving themselves, filling their big bowls to the brim when left in charge of their own portions. These extraverts may benefit from having an adult serve. Introverted kids, however, are less likely to base portions on bowl size only when serving themselves, so parents may want to allow young introverts to serve their own food to avoid dish-size bias.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

This is interesting and yet...not too surprising.

There has always been a clear divide between people who can understand the consequence of an external system and those who need that external system to tell them a consequence. Although I'm simplifying it a bit, I'm not saying this goes for all introverts and all extraverts.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Interesting, yeah I'd probably serve myself more too if I was given a larger bowl. I can't help it! Means more food for me!
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Enneagram
    N/A

...Well, my family says I eat like a bird. And I would ask for a smaller bowl. I like small bowls.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtlost View Post
    ...Well, my family says I eat like a bird. And I would ask for a smaller bowl. I like small bowls.
    Maybe this is another environmental cue (although this one is more social than physical), because when I'm with my family/friends I'll eat like there's no tomorrow but when I'm eating at someone's house people will say I eat like a bird too. I can barely finish one small plate.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Enneagram
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    Maybe this is another environmental cue (although this one is more social than physical), because when I'm with my family/friends I'll eat like there's no tomorrow but when I'm eating at someone's house people will say I eat like a bird too. I can barely finish one small plate.
    ..Well, I usually eat like a bird, but if I am with friends I will eat even less because I can't eat and socialize at the same time...

Enneagram
    N/A

...Actually, if I am on the Internet I can't eat as much... I can get pretty lost in whatever I am engaged in.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

As a kid, I couldn't fathom eating as much as some people did. I just didn't ever have a huge appetite, most food was repulsive and I ate so slowly, I never finished my food when others did. So, it wouldn't have been a biggie to serve myself, as I'd probably go for the small bowl and small portion size.

As an adult, however... I'll eat just about anything placed in front of me, so I have to be careful how much I portion out to myself.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

My introverted sisters and I eat differently.

ISFJ eats very bird-like. Never wanted to finish her veggies as a kid.

ISTJ eats more than me probably, but keeps it really basic: chicken fingers and pizza forever.

I like most food. I love different tastes and culinary adventures. I like it authentic and ethnic.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    My introverted sisters and I eat differently.

ISFJ eats very bird-like. Never wanted to finish her veggies as a kid.

ISTJ eats more than me probably, but keeps it really basic: chicken fingers and pizza forever.

I like most food. I love different tastes and culinary adventures. I like it authentic and ethnic.
    I also love to experience the food of the places I visit and trying new foods…
    I spend most of my pocket change just trying to do something different…

I think it is safe to say that ENFP is one of the more adventurous eaters…
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan