User Tag List

Default AMD and the Vishera Series

I've never had a AMD motherboard or AMD CPU yet, but I may plan on getting it. I've looked at the costs and thought how much better it would be for me to switch over to AMD over blowing around 400-500 just trying to switch to the next Intel motherboard... and I found this.

For about 320 (can go lower by buying a cheaper motherboard and the next level CPU of theirs... the FX-9370.) I thought... 8-cores and 4ghz, seems a lot better than buying a lower end I7 4-core.

What is the major difference between the AMD and Intel CPUs?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've used AMD processors for at least 10 years, I've never had a problem with them. For my purposes (gaming), an AMD is every bit as reliable and effective as an Intel. I also have an AMD GPU, an HD 6970, which I'll probably upgrade sometime next year when new hardware comes out.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I use AMD on my desktop. Quite nice. Haven't had issues with it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    What is the major difference between the AMD and Intel CPUs?
    To put it simply Intel CPUs are better in almost every way; but AMD CPUs are far more affordable. So it really depends on what you are going to use it for. if you are just planning to use it for web browsing, streaming, a few games, and work related applications then you might as well get the AMD, because you won’t be using it to anywhere near its full capacity. If on the other hand you want to overclock it, have multiple monitors, do a lot of video editing/creating then you might want to look into the Intel processors.
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENTj

From what I hear, Intel makes a more efficient processor in the sense that it can put out more calculations per cycle. A 2.6 GHZ quad core i5 might deliver just as much, if not more, calculations per cycle as a 4 GHZ AMD quad core. I was looking at some benchmarks and I noticed that some of the higher end i5 quad core processors surpass some of the AMD 6 core processors. I think you really do get your performance when you pay extra for Intel.

Also, before you go out and buy an 8 core processor, keep in mind that many games and applications will not utilize all 8 of your cores.. Many won't utilize 6.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJuice94 View Post
    From what I hear, Intel makes a more efficient processor in the sense that it can put out more calculations per cycle. A 2.6 GHZ quad core i5 might deliver just as much, if not more, calculations per cycle as a 4 GHZ AMD quad core. I was looking at some benchmarks and I noticed that some of the higher end i5 quad core processors surpass some of the AMD 6 core processors. I think you really do get your performance when you pay extra for Intel.

Also, before you go out and buy an 8 core processor, keep in mind that many games and applications will not utilize all 8 of your cores.. Many won't utilize 6.
    Yeah, I have one of the first generation I7's.... but it is at 2.66GHz, while it is nice... I noticed it is creating a bottleneck when it comes to more current video-games and editing and whatnot. I was hoping Intel would consider dropping the price of their chips, but nope, they kept them the same price... or that they aren't sold as readily.

On terms of cost, I can come close to doubling the CPU benchmark by switching to AMD with half the cost.

I plan to be using it for a lot of things:
    Regular Web Surfing
    Simple Programs (like Word Documents and such.)
    Programs like Maya/Blender/Photoshop
    Video games

My current build can handle most games at high settings, but my FPS takes the biggest hit. I don't exactly mind not having the latest and greatest graphics and FPS, but more along the lines of something that can stay somewhat stable without being high one moment and low the next.