User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default Help this nomad achieve internet

Does anyone know of a good way to find cheap and good mobile internet?

I work in a gym and I COULD hook it up with comcast or a direct connection, but that would be hella expensive. I'm looking for cheap alternatives.

At the moment I use my samsung galaxy S3 to tether my laptop, but its very slow, only works sporadically, and also only has so much data before it cuts off.

What would be the best option for an entrepreneur nomad?

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Does anyone know of a good way to find cheap and good mobile internet?

I work in a gym and I COULD hook it up with comcast or a direct connection, but that would be hella expensive. I'm looking for cheap alternatives.

At the moment I use my samsung galaxy S3 to tether my laptop, but its very slow, only works sporadically, and also only has so much data before it cuts off.

What would be the best option for an entrepreneur nomad?
    try a high-gain usb wifi antenna, they're like $20-$30. TP-Link makes some good ones.

This is the one I recently bought so I could access the free wifi my city offers (I was juuuust out of range with my laptop's internal antenna)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00416Q5KI/..._26725410_item

It works pretty well for my needs, but I may have been a bit hasty buying it. I think there may be stronger ones out there. May depend on what's around you, as well, in terms of unsecured networks you can access.

I'm by no means great with technology.. I got this advice from an ISTP in the past, haha. Anyway, hope this helps.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I was about to suggest this, it's the cheapest way to get free internet that many people already pay for in your area.

Should you want to have a more private, dedicated connection.. They do have mobile hot-spots you can buy. I never owned one personally, I always tethered too, but I think they were a bit more reliable and you could get more data out of it with that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Internet-o...ot-3G/20665535

Something like that its I believe $35-40 for 3GB a pop, and you just use it up until the GBs run out and then you pay for more. So if you don't do much downloading or games or things like that, it seems like a cheaper set up.

I'd definitely still get an antenna though especially if there's some restaurants close by--those are super useful for traveling anyways. Some army dudes I know raved about them. Again, don't own one personally, but it's on the "I want it" list for sure.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

woah cool!

There's a mcdonalds like, 200 feet away. I wonder if I'd be able to pick that up while sitting in the gym? I'll definitely look into this.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    woah cool!

There's a mcdonalds like, 200 feet away. I wonder if I'd be able to pick that up while sitting in the gym? I'll definitely look into this.
    Whilest a high gain receiver will make it much easier to pick up on signals, the wifi sender is also a pretty big factor for obvious reasons. I don't know how it is in your area, but the Mcdonalds I know near me that I've tried wifi have really crappy routers.

Still, if you can buy something with waranty to try it out to see if its what you look for, it never hurts to try I guess.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I wanna add to this thread that any nerds who understand this shit, speak up. I'm trying to find a stronger/more effective wifi antenna than the one I purchased (getting annoyed w/the patchy reception- scroll up to see my link to the one I bought).. I don't understand tech specs, so I don't really know what I'm really looking for, that would be an upgrade to my current device.

Posting here, as the info may be useful in the OP's quest, as well.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Should you want to have a more private, dedicated connection.. They do have mobile hot-spots you can buy. I never owned one personally, I always tethered too, but I think they were a bit more reliable and you could get more data out of it with that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Internet-o...ot-3G/20665535

Something like that its I believe $35-40 for 3GB a pop, and you just use it up until the GBs run out and then you pay for more. So if you don't do much downloading or games or things like that, it seems like a cheaper set up.

I'm thinking of setting up a home security system, something like that would be pretty cool for connecting to a camera to get the (text) alerts while mobile...

FWIW:

I don't have internet and live in the middle of the woods, I just tether with cell phone and I'm happy enough. I just use limited internet, turn off image loading (not just image display, but actual loading of images), and limit youtube. If I'm in town (like now) I pick up wifi.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Also, I wanted to mention--have you thought about asking nearby people to share internet? Ask a neighbor, and say "Hey, I'll be around only the next two months. I was wondering if maybe I could pay a portion of your internet bill in exchange for using your wi-fi?"

At least it's worth a try--you'd get the benefits of paying a cheap rate for decent connection and they get a slight break from their normal bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I wanna add to this thread that any nerds who understand this shit, speak up. I'm trying to find a stronger/more effective wifi antenna than the one I purchased (getting annoyed w/the patchy reception- scroll up to see my link to the one I bought).. I don't understand tech specs, so I don't really know what I'm really looking for, that would be an upgrade to my current device.

If no one pipes up here, I'll remember to ask one of my friends about it that tends to know stuff like that next I see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I'm thinking of setting up a home security system, something like that would be pretty cool for connecting to a camera to get the (text) alerts while mobile...

FWIW:

I don't have internet and live in the middle of the woods, I just tether with cell phone and I'm happy enough. I just use limited internet, turn off image loading (not just image display, but actual loading of images), and limit youtube. If I'm in town (like now) I pick up wifi.
    ^ Yeah I think actually a device like that would last a while if you did it that way--but I just cannot live without real internets. :c impossible. I spent $90/month in Africa to get shitty connection--but still better than nothing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Ftr if you're running a business I would suggest not to "steal" the connection from nearby people (unless you explicitly ask them to share). It may result in hefy fines since there's usually a clause on the wi-fi usage saying "only for non-commercial use".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post

This is the one I recently bought so I could access the free wifi my city offers (I was juuuust out of range with my laptop's internal antenna)
    It's free wifi your city offers. It's probably already not a very good connection to begin with and when several people start using it at the same time, it's going to suck.

That said, any more details on the patchy-ness of your connection can help in determining the actual issue.

Do you lose connection and have to reconnect or is your download/upload speed very variable?

If it is the first one, then going for a good brand 9dbi antenna may improve your situation. But if it is the latter, it won't be something you can fix.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf