User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the shape of the cosmos?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Open and Infinite (Saddle - Negative curvature)

3 42.86%
  • 2. Finite and Closed (Sphere - Positive curvature)

0 0%
  • 3. Digital and Flat (Torus - No curvature)

2 28.57%
  • 4. Multi-directional and Eternal (Toroid - Revolving Curvature)

2 28.57%
First 1234 Last

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We have just completed measurements of light from the most distant galaxies.

We measured this light to see if space consisted of discrete quanta.

And it turns out that space is not made of discrete quanta. This may have made Albert happy.
    Another volley, challenge accepted.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

I believe the big bang happens periodically every x amount of time. At the end of times in our universe, only one black hole will exist which contains the whole mass of the universe.
    Imagine it exploding, It would be like the big bang. This theory is not uncommon in science.
    To come to your question. I believe that there are many universes, which are just part of a bigger one, which is part of a bigger one, etc... and that space itself is infinite.
    Theoretically there can be nothing in a vacuum, not even the slightest amount of radiaton, why can't that be the case outside of the universe if it can exist within it?
    If that's true, it means, that if there are any other universes, it would be a specific distance between them, ergo not space is growing, just the range of the matter is getting bigger.
    This would fit perfectly fit into the theory above.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Infinite Bubble

I don't think that shape is an applicable quality of the universe, in the classic sense. These models are akin to (limited) analogies. Limited because 1) we can only perceive 4 dimensions and 2) we only have the observable universe to work from, which is probably akin to a blind man working out the dimensions of the Earth by touch.

It is probably spatially infinite but temporally finite in this form.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I don't think that shape is an applicable quality of the universe, in the classic sense. These models are akin to (limited) analogies. Limited because 1) we can only perceive 4 dimensions and 2) we only have the observable universe to work from, which is probably akin to a blind man working out the dimensions of the Earth by touch.

It is probably spatially infinite but temporally finite in this form.
    Perhaps we lack the capacity under our perceptions to give a shape to the cosmos. But I'm puzzled as to how something that had a beginning in time suddenly became infinite.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Perhaps we lack the capacity under our perceptions to give a shape to the cosmos. But I'm puzzled as to how something that had a beginning in time suddenly became infinite.
    It's a prominent theory that came about through M-theory that space is infinite and the universes contents repeat itself such that it accomodates superposition/the multiverse theory, but still, each universe began with a big bang. Hence, this universe being temporally finite.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    It's a prominent theory that came about through M-theory that space is infinite and the universes contents repeat itself such that it accomodates superposition/the multiverse theory, but still, each universe began with a big bang. Hence, this universe being temporally finite.
    Okay, so the source that springs new universes with many spectrums for different laws is infinite, and when universes die, they return back to the infinite source, spring into more universes, and so forth forever...

Do you think that this potentially reflects some of the reality?

It's important to keep in mind that there is no evidence for string theory or m-theory, they are speculative. However we do have conclusive evidence that our universe is flat.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

One of my favorite songs by my current favorite band seems to suggest the spherical model... if you go straight long enough, you'll end up where you were, Of course, that song seems to be written from an outsider's perspective about what other people's perspectives are.

Space is curved, I believe, but I can't recall how we know this. I may be confusing this with relativity. I don't know if we know whether it is finite or not, but I prefer an infinite universe. In the lack of knowledge of the subject, I will go with open and infinite, until I gain enough knowledge to change my opinions on the subject.

How is a torus no curvature? A donut looks pretty curved to me.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    One of my favorite songs by my current favorite band seems to suggest the spherical model... if you go straight long enough, you'll end up where you were, Of course, that song seems to be written from an outsider's perspective about what other people's perspectives are.

Space is curved, I believe, but I can't recall how we know this. I may be confusing this with relativity. I don't know if we know whether it is finite or not, but I prefer an infinite universe. In the lack of knowledge of the subject, I will go with open and infinite, until I gain enough knowledge to change my opinions on the subject.

How is a torus no curvature? A donut looks pretty curved to me.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY - Coming in 2014