• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Transplanting a Human Head Possible?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm sure transplanting a human head is quite easy. The question is whether or not it can be done on living humans without killing them.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dr. Canavero: wrong-headed or a head of his time?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose braindead coma patients on life support might make good donors. :p

Also, if happens to me, I'd like a woman's body please. That would be a cool thing to experience. (Although I guess since my brain still produces male hormones and stuff like that, it wouldn't actually work. But I can always deam)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even assuming both of those problems are solved:

Its more utilitarian to harvest the organs of brain-dead patients, whereby you can save more lives from a single donor.

As for extending the human lifespan, brain cell degeneration would presumably continue as normal, so even beside the supply limitations its just much more practical to research cellular regeneration.

Yeah, I think I generally agree with that approach.

Speaking of mad scientists in real life: http://www.cracked.com/article_17039_9-real-life-mad-scientists.html

^The head transplant guy is #1, but I frankly consider #9 to be the most disturbing.

I've known of many of these guys, and of course the infamous monkey head / dog head experiments back in the 50-70's or so. Big issue was always the nerve regeneration.

I suppose braindead coma patients on life support might make good donors. :p

Also, if happens to me, I'd like a woman's body please. That would be a cool thing to experience. (Although I guess since my brain still produces male hormones and stuff like that, it wouldn't actually work. But I can always deam)

Body chemistry can be changed. *shrug*

But yeah, it could cause a mismatch if your brain is wired one way, and then of course we've got all the typical rejection issues with transplants, and then what range of female body would you accept?

EDIT: As far as brain-dead people on life support, start reading with this article and then followup with some of the linkys on that page.

http://personalitycafe.com/psycholo...tate-not-just-aware-but-paying-attention.html

Makes things more complicated, huh? ;)

G

Ginkgo

Not unless you can start an oxygenated blood transfusion on the head in the time it takes to mend the more delicate bits of the head to the neck. Which is doubtful unless we develop more advanced technology; even then, it would probably require a lot of physical therapy before voluntary motor functions worked properly.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
See, there are thousands of people in need of a donor. Contact the Red Cross about giving head today.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Body chemistry can be changed. *shrug*

In part, yes, but I seriously doubt I'd end up having monthly periods after transplanting my head onto a female body.

Now I may be wrong, but I think that is a little bit more complicated than what hormone therapies can achieve. :p