iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I'm sure transplanting a human head is quite easy. The question is whether or not it can be done on living humans without killing them.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Dr. Canavero: wrong-headed or a head of his time?
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ISTP

A head transplant should be possible, however it's going to require a substantial amount of relearning. The mind will never be as good at controlling the new body as it was at controlling the old body.

The reason for this is that the more practiced a motor skill is the more it becomes consolidated in lower motor centers such as the spine. This is convenient because it provides high level control parameters for cortex to adapt to. It is inconvenient because it was done in a coordinate system that is somewhat unique to the previous owner of the body. Add the fact that much of motor learning is done when the brain is young and plastic to the new rotated coordinate system and you're probably going to be rather uncoordinated.

In the future we might invent some great drugs that increase neuroplasticity which could help to overcome this problem. On the flip side, taking these neuroplasticity drugs could make your brain too plastic, and you could be forced to give up some of your old identity.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I suppose braindead coma patients on life support might make good donors. :P

Also, if happens to me, I'd like a woman's body please. That would be a cool thing to experience. (Although I guess since my brain still produces male hormones and stuff like that, it wouldn't actually work. But I can always deam)
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Even assuming both of those problems are solved:

Its more utilitarian to harvest the organs of brain-dead patients, whereby you can save more lives from a single donor.

As for extending the human lifespan, brain cell degeneration would presumably continue as normal, so even beside the supply limitations its just much more practical to research cellular regeneration.
    Yeah, I think I generally agree with that approach.

Speaking of mad scientists in real life: http://www.cracked.com/article_17039...cientists.html

^The head transplant guy is #1, but I frankly consider #9 to be the most disturbing.
    I've known of many of these guys, and of course the infamous monkey head / dog head experiments back in the 50-70's or so. Big issue was always the nerve regeneration.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I suppose braindead coma patients on life support might make good donors. :P

Also, if happens to me, I'd like a woman's body please. That would be a cool thing to experience. (Although I guess since my brain still produces male hormones and stuff like that, it wouldn't actually work. But I can always deam)
    Body chemistry can be changed. *shrug*

But yeah, it could cause a mismatch if your brain is wired one way, and then of course we've got all the typical rejection issues with transplants, and then what range of female body would you accept?

EDIT: As far as brain-dead people on life support, start reading with this article and then followup with some of the linkys on that page.

http://personalitycafe.com/psycholog...attention.html

Makes things more complicated, huh?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Not unless you can start an oxygenated blood transfusion on the head in the time it takes to mend the more delicate bits of the head to the neck. Which is doubtful unless we develop more advanced technology; even then, it would probably require a lot of physical therapy before voluntary motor functions worked properly.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I need a new head. Can I get a new body too?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

See, there are thousands of people in need of a donor. Contact the Red Cross about giving head today.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Body chemistry can be changed. *shrug*
    In part, yes, but I seriously doubt I'd end up having monthly periods after transplanting my head onto a female body.

Now I may be wrong, but I think that is a little bit more complicated than what hormone therapies can achieve. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf