User Tag List

First 12

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Buy a used Honda or Toyota. You say they're boring, but if money is what you really care about, that's something you can overlook.

Don't buy a new car unless you can pay cash. Otherwise you're just giving money away to finance companies each month.
    That being said, if you buy the new car in cash it could seriously tip the authorities off to whatever criminal operation you're running.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I have been leasing cars the past few years to get around this. I hated having to worry about unforeseen problems and payments for my used cars. As for buying a new car, I feel like as soon as I get it paid off, it'll be just like those used cars where things start popping up. With a lease, I know my car is new and is less at risk for all those trips to the shop (even if something does go wrong, I can call my dealer, and they would help me out). I have a pretty low monthly payment on the Mazda 3 I drive, and I always know how much and when I'll need to pay it.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Why do you need a car at all?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, the debate is over, as you can plainly tell by my avatar. The reason I didn't lease is because I drive too much each year, and the reason I need a car is because I'm American.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What kind of car is that?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Congrats! Looks like a nice ride.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Having done both -- buying cars outright and financing one.. I definitely have to say: Buy them outright.

There is no guarantee nothing will go wrong with a car you just bought--in fact, a new car requires a bit of maintenance on top of that payment bill. If I were you, I'd save the money for the new car to the side and buy it in cash. They'll typically give you a better rate, and there's no dealing with interest and financing. While financing a car can help a person with bad credit, it does nothing good for someone with good credit standings already, and usually it is a pain.

I had an issue while I was deployed where my bank blocked a payment I made on my car.. and the bank, nor the bank financing my car, bothered to notice and tell me. I ended up getting it fixed, but it took nearly a year and completely destroyed my credit in the process because they kept insisting I did not pay them the final payment, and I kept sending them all the evidence that I had. It turned out to be a payment BEFORE the final one. They just sent me my title and everything anyways. They simply didn't notice that my bank had blocked it for a few days before allowing it to go through, so it said unpaid in their system. And since it was only one month before the last payment, and I paid twice in the last month, the clerks thought I paid it all off.

Oil changes, tire maintenance, and a lot of other things still go into new cars, and while I definitely won't buy a complete clunker of a car anymore in my life, I would definitely consider investing in a transition car that requires a little less maintenance than your current one, and save up your money for a new one. If something goes wrong one month, you aren't out any money--its just savings money. If something goes wrong with a new car, you're out the monthly payments AND whatever you need insurance wise/repair costs. It just isn't as stable.

Of course, spending $500/mth for repairs is definitely calling for a change either way.. I think you could probably owner finance a transitional car for that cost over a few months.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Yeah, I always forget about the insurance.

Well, my car is heading for 200k miles pretty soon. And in that time, some of the more expensive replacements have been the clutch and steering rack along with the power steering pump. And there's more, but I don't feel like listing all of them.

I seem to average anywhere between $300 to $500 each month in repairs...sometimes a bit more. Though I've charged much of that to credit cards, which i've paid off on time. I wonder if it's possible to put car payments on a credit card as well?

And sometimes I just think about how I could've put that money into a fresh new machine.

That and I just want a new car. Sometimes making car payments sounds like less of a pain in the ass than taking it into the shop.
    Can you get a payment scheme (+maintenance+insurance) on a newer car that meets your needs that'll cost you less per month than you pay on maintenance (+insurance)? (like others have said, $300 to $500 a month does seem ridiculously expensive) If you can, then money-wise, it seems better to sell, donate, or trade-in the old car and getting a new one.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    Well, the debate is over, as you can plainly tell by my avatar. The reason I didn't lease is because I drive too much each year, and the reason I need a car is because I'm American.
    Oh. nvmd.

Congratulations on your new car!

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Oh. nvmd.

Congratulations on your new car!
    The yellow car in the background was the trade-in.