User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default uC - Programming

Hello there,

I recently started to get intrested in the world of microcontroller programming.

I have some experience with PIC-Chips and got to know about those very easy programmable AVR Chips.

I was just wondering, if someone has some experience with those chips. I am on the lookout for an intresting project, I can build at home.

Most german sites about AVR's reference to german projects, but I found out about some pretty intresting projects from America. Just lack a good collection of links .

At the moment, I am trying to realise a little stand-alone Webserver with an ATMega and a MMC-Slot for Data Storage.

I am also working on a AVR-USB interface to build a Relais. So you can switch on/off external lights in your room from the PC.

I recently completed the following project as a birthday gift for my mum. There are three Lights (LED) , Red, Green and Blue and they fade in 10 seconds from being offline to their peak intensity and back. I put this into an old bottle and build a wodden socket for the bottle. Now it is an ambient light in our living room .

The LEDs are up to 2000 mcd with an emitting-angle of 50 degrees. The AVR works with its internal clock at 1,2 MHz, prescaling one circle of operation in 10 seconds @ a working rate of 1 ms . After 10 seconds an Interrupt through buffer overflow is triggered and the circle starts again. Will try to put the AVR CPU Core to sleep mode, so I can lower the consumed current.

Here is the project:

PDF Reference ( shematics + C-Source Code ):

http://sn0opy83.sn.funpic.de/uC.pdf

---

So if anyone of you, knows some intresting projects in AVR Programing, I am eager to learn about it .

Greetings ~ent
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I haven't put much time into it, but I did get an Arduino USB programmer board that uses the ATmega8 chips I believe. Toyed around with it a bit (controlling LEDs 'n stuff). I was thoroughly impressed at how powerful those things are for being cheap embedded microcontrollers.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea, those AVR things are pretty tough and versatile, when it comes to controlling, surveying or boosting applications.

I have nearly completed two more projects:

That is an USB - Relais with 6 Ports you can set and 4 Ports you can listen to. It works, but as shown here, it is just a prototype. I am thinking about to build optocoupler on the ports so you can switch AC powered systems on or off via your pc. Another possible solution is to build a measuring station, which sends data to the PC. Pretty easy to build, the software for the microship is readily availiable as GPL thing and you just need to embeed it in your project.

This is a nearly completed Webserver that hosts a html site. I still need a crystal and the microcontroller, before I can start it. Have built a prototype already and that I sold for nearly a $100 xD.

I build this one in my company I work for besides university at the moment. They made me the board and I gave the specs.

Pretty cool project, though the server only has 1 kb of webspace at the moment. I am trying to implement a SD-Card slot, but I still need to figure out how to convert from FAT16 to assembler for the microcontroller. The SD slot itself, I will take from an old ISA-slot from a mainboard and it is easily connected to the controller via a few resistors.

Pretty nice project, I maybe can make some money with that. There are many kids still playing online games like counterstrike. Dont know, how good the AVR's are at controlling such a game, but it is worth da try to set up a game server xD

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

haha, that's badass. I dunno if an AVR would be too useful for modern internet usage, but controlling and reporting sensor information sounds like a cool idea.

I wish I could get my hands on one of those "tongue-electrode" things I've read about like this; wouldn't it be BAD ASS to create your own body sensors? say, I dunno, connect various metrics about your car to an AVR, then have that stimulate the tongue to relay this information...

haha you could turn yourself into a cyborg
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

hah!! speaking of AVR and Arduino, check this out-
    Wii nunchuck braves the outdoors to steer electric canoe - Engadget

uses the arduino to control the electric motors.

THAT is bad-ass.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I messsed with really small scale stuff in college, but man was it fun. Almost wonder if I should get back into it again.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

haha the boat rocks xDD

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Lol almost posted a new thread about this stuff, then did a search and found this. Been getting into AVRs a LOT lately... upgraded my old Arduino NG USB board to the ATmega328, also bought the Arduino Mega ADK (for interfacing custom hardware with Android phones) and I'm dabbling with some "arduino-alternative" boards that use the AVR ATmega1284P processor (possibly the best of all the AVRs for DIY et al). Also got a kit for making my own printed circuit boards, and I've been learning electronics at a greatly accelerated rate from any other time in my life when I tried to pick it up. (And it's a true hobby, money-sink and all... LOL)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

My current project so far has been adding some basic amenities to my wife's car, she doesn't really have much at all (no keyless entry, no cruise control, no clock besides the stereo and I upgraded that but true to typical aftermarket car stereos, the clock isn't visible all the time when the song title is scrolling... etc) so I'm trying to shore that up. Designed the "gadget network" around I2C, using buffering chips to extend the usable distance of I2C so I can leverage I2C-addressable sensors but also do the I/O with the built-in serial hardware on the Atmel AVRs. Using CAT5 cabling for everything with my own custom pinout that supplies power, the SCL/SDA lines for I2C, a line for Dallas 1-wire (for the temperature sensors) and a final wire that is driven by a pair of FETs which shows +5V if the ignition switch is on, GND if it's off (to give all attached devices the option to shut off/go to sleep if they're wired or programmed to pay attention to that).

Might take some pics once it's completed... the first component I had to build was a power supply/RJ45 concentrator board that links all the data busses and supplies +5V from a switching regulator (since AVRs can't handle the standard +12VDC voltages a car uses)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTj

Interesting projects! I use both the PICs and AVRs. Both have their advantages. Microchip will send you their chips for free if you qualify.
    There's a lot of AVR projects here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/

It is good to understand how to program in assembler, but if you program in C, it makes it easy to use other processors. For example, you can get an order of magnitude higher performance by using the ARM Cortex chips. They don't cost much more.

Recently, many companies in China will produce PCBs for you in small quantities for a very reasonable price.($10-$20) I am still doing most by toner transfer since it's much faster than waiting weeks for shipping. But for semi-commercial projects, the off-shore companies opens up possibilities.